It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2005, 01:00 PM   #1
(female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User
swim without arching back?

Hey, can anyone tell me how to swim in the pool without arching the back? Do I use a kickboard and put my face in the water? Maybe use a snorkel too? I tried to swim with the kickboard out in front of me, and then without a board, and my back arched and it hurt bad. I can kick if I lay on my back and lay the back of my head/neck on the edge of the pool as that doesn't arch the back. But that's not swimming and I want to try to swim. CAn I swim? I love to swim! The doctor said to swim if I can.

???

Old 04-21-2005, 02:05 PM   #2
(female)

PeachJam HB User
Re: swim without arching back?

I am sorry but I can't remember your story? drugs, you know.

I will tell you that swiming is something that most dr's to not recommend for awhile. Have you done walking in water? I know it sounds lame but it is very good for you, much better than regular walking.

As far as not arching your back I would try noodles ( those long floating things) place on under your hips and one under your chest while floating on your stomach it will take some practice to balance but the flotation from the noodles will keep you aligned. Please be careful though swimming is very hard on your back ( if you are doing freestyle correctly, lots of twisting that is not good for people like us) Take it slow, it will be something that you will have to learn, once you can feel how your body needs to be held you can remove the noodles. They are sorta training noodles !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2005, 09:01 PM   #3
(female)

tammys HB User

I also do not know your circumstances, but I have had a lami and fusion and although aqua therapy was advised, it was just walking and floating. I was told no swimming. I spend about 8 hours a day in a swimming pool during the summer. Before the back issue I could swim for hours without slowing down. I love water and I love swimming. I also did alot of diving before surgery. Now I am forced to walk down the steps (holding the rail so I don't fall) and walking around in the water. I can doggy paddle also, but as far as actually swimming, my doctor says NO WAY. Hopefully that is not the case for you.

Good Luck!!! Keep Smiling!!!
Tammy

Old 04-21-2005, 10:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Hi,
If you want to use the kick board and swim on your stomach and not arch your back ..then you will need to put your face in the water and hold the kickboard out in front of you. Either hold the very end of the board or have your hands along the side, don't lay on the kickboard. Any stroke you swim with your head out of the water will cause your back to arch. Using a snorkel is good also because you won't have to twist to do the crawl or lift your head up to breathe.

It's also easy to swim on your back using the noodle, use two and put one under your knees or your hips and one under your shoulder or neck. Depending of course on your situation.

I also walk in the water and do some stretching if the pool is warm. I hope you get a chance to try some things out in the pool soon.

Old 04-22-2005, 04:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

I never learned how to swim. I go in the therapy pool at the Y and put a noodle under my neck/arms and float and kick. The styrofoam barbells are good to hold on to for squatting or whatever.
fly

Old 04-22-2005, 05:11 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Hmmm... my doctor told me to go to the gym and lift light, Go swimming..I thought my god I will drown. I know how to swim, But I get some bad pain when I walk,,I could just see me in the deep..

Closed Thread