It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2005, 09:15 PM   #1
(female)

tammys HB User
Smile Doctors Appointment Today

Hi Gang!!! I hope everyone has had a pain free day today!!! I went for my second opinion today and was much more satisfied with this prognosis than I was with the one I went to on the 4th. He agree's that the damage is bad and not reversible, but with some changes he thinks that we can slow down the degeneration. The nerve conduction test was done today and the technician could not get a signal from just below my knee and down. She had the doctor come into the room and use the needle (or whatever they stick into you) and he also did not get a signal from just below my knee and down. When he asked how long my foot and lower leg had been numb, I told him for over 3 years. That is why he says that it is not reversible. He looked at my mri and explained them to me (no other doctor has ever done that). He says that the scar tissue is severe and that the fusion did not take and that the place where the nerve root goes is compressed. He put me back on neurontin (900 mg day) opposed to 3200 mg that I was on before. He put me on zanaflex for spasms, lodine for pain and tylox for pain and wellbutrin for depression (and suggested I stop smoking). He also ordered physical therapy. He also addressed the knot I have on my neck ( one that I have mentioned to every doctor I have seen since 1999). Other doctors have said that it was a muscle spasm but I told this doctor that it does not feel like a spasm ( I have spasms daily and know what they feel like). He agreed with me that it is not a spasm and is going to do an MRI on it when I go back to him next month. He actually saw the knot today without ever touching it. The bottom line is, where the doctor on the 4th told me I was headed for a wheel chair, this doctor said that he thought he could maybe stop the problem from escalating to that point. He said he may not be able to fix what is wrong completely, but he would give it his best shot. I'll take those odds, since the last doctor gave such a grim prognosis. He is also saying that he wants to do epidural injections next month. Do those do anyone any good???? I had them before and didn't see a difference.

Everyone have a great night!!! Keep Smiling!!!
Tammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2005, 09:26 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
Re: Doctors Appointment Today

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 07:42 PM.

Old 04-21-2005, 10:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

CONGRATS TAMMY ,
That is Wonderful News!! These caring Docs are out there, just hard to find.
StarDust

Old 04-21-2005, 11:09 PM   #4
(female)

Read66 HB User

Great news Tammy. Very Happy for you. I hope the MRI on your neck shows whatever is going on there. Just wanted to send some good thoughts your way.
Barb

Old 04-22-2005, 01:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

This is GREAT news Tammys

It is so VERY important to be lucky in finding a doc who WILL communicate with you.

So happy that you got another opionion & even happier to hear what this one said!

Old 04-22-2005, 08:45 PM   #6
(female)

tammys HB User

Thanks everyone!!!! I feel better just knowing that this doctor doesn't think I am wheel chair bound. I was really depressed after the first doctor, but now I feel much better. Although I started the neurontin last night and I still hate the way it makes me feel. I have been in a fog all day today. The doctor said my body would adjust and I am hoping that is the case. I am not looking forward to sleeping my life away.

Thanks again!!! Keep Smiling!!!
Tammy

Old 04-22-2005, 10:39 PM   #7
(female)

diva78 HB User

Hi Tammy! Great news comes in three's right? Someone else out there is about to get lucky! I am so happy that you got that second opinion and what alot of good it has done! Mental is half the battle..that's what I always have believed. You never give up...and keep your positive attitude..it will take you far. I wish you a great weekend and many, many pain free days ahead of you. Sending good thoughts your way with a lot of luv and hugs!!! xoxox Diva~

Closed Thread