It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2005, 08:50 AM   #1

acl828 HB User
Question Two questions: ADR / Pain symptoms

Has anyone at all had artificial disc replacement at L3?

Does anyone else have the following symptoms:
- Pain that is a slicing, raw, electrical pain down the left leg (stops at ankle)
- Pain in the right leg that is a burning in the thigh
- Pain in the low back and left leg that, at night, feels like it's generating heat
and makes it difficult to get any rest
- Off and on left leg weakness that makes walking extremely difficult,
sometimes impossible
- Pain that, oddly, is to the moon on rainy or cloudy days
- Pain that starts in your low back, shoots across your butt and down your
leg to the ankle that feels like someone yanked a knife down it. It is on the
side of my leg and not the back.
- Joints that "pop" a lot (ankles, knees, left hip)
- In order of worst to least, pain that comes from: sitting, standing, walking

Thanks for your time.

Old 04-22-2005, 09:14 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User
Re: Two questions: ADR / Pain symptoms

[QUOTE=acl828]Has anyone at all had artificial disc replacement at L3? [COLOR=Red]NOPE[/COLOR]
Does anyone else have the following symptoms:
- Pain that is a slicing, raw, electrical pain down the left leg (stops at ankle)[COLOR=Red]YES[/COLOR]-
Pain in the right leg that is a burning in the thigh [COLOR=Red]YES[/COLOR]- Pain in the low back and left leg that, at night, feels like it's generating heat
and makes it difficult to get any rest - [COLOR=Red]RIGHT LEG[/COLOR]-
Off and on left leg weakness that makes walking extremely difficult, sometimes impossible [COLOR=Red]RIGHT LEG - BUT DITTO =)[/COLOR]
Pain that, oddly, is to the moon on rainy or cloudy days [COLOR=Red]YEP![/COLOR]-
Pain that starts in your low back, shoots across your butt and down your leg to the ankle that feels like someone yanked a knife down it. It is on the side of my leg and not the back. [COLOR=Red]BINGO[/COLOR]
Joints that "pop" a lot (ankles, knees, left hip) [COLOR=Red]AGAIN - RIGHT SIDE[/COLOR]
In order of worst to least, pain that comes from: sitting, standing, walking [COLOR=Red]MINE = SITTING - (HORRID), WALKING (MISERABLE), STANDING (BAD)[/COLOR]QUOTE]

Hey. are you my twin?? I'll trade you my left leg for your right leg?? My left hurts too, but my right is the worst. I had a fusion in December - it is "possibly not fusing"... last x-ray looked "not good" and have a miserable dr who has no clue what to do (trying aqua therapy and a pain dr. appt starting next week).... My personal guess is the fusion is bad, and I have a level above he never even looked at -- that needs help too.

So you are not alone... Have you had the ADR? Do you know if you can have adr on a disk (say L1) if you've had fusion at L3-4-5???

Best Wishes for a Low Pain Day
-Michelle

-Michelle

Last edited by StMishl; 04-22-2005 at 09:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2005, 10:25 AM   #3

acl828 HB User

So you are not alone... Have you had the ADR? Do you know if you can have adr on a disk (say L1) if you've had fusion at L3-4-5???

[COLOR=Blue]Michelle
I think I may just be your twin. I swear, I thought no one was going through what I have been, only because my docs react like I'm talking Greek most of the time.
I have not had the ADR but I have been told by my new Ortho that I should because L3 has degenerated to the point it is pushing against my spinal cord and has a lot of arthritis. I've been fused at L4-5/L5-S1 already. Silly me, I thought once I did that, I'd never have to address my back again. Unfortunately, according to the Ortho, the fusion put a great deal of pressure on L3 and is the reason it has gone ka-put. In what little info I've been able to find about ADR, the only levels they mention it being done at were L4-5 and L5-S1...not one listing of L3-4. I see the Ortho again on May 18 and I plan on asking him a lot of questions....
Good luck to you! Thanks for taking the time to respond.
By the way, if you don't mind answering, what is the reason you've been given for your pain issues?[/COLOR]

Last edited by acl828; 04-22-2005 at 10:25 AM.

Old 04-22-2005, 12:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

sorry no info on ADR.

I do however have EVERY symptom you ask as with the exception of:

- Joints that "pop" a lot (ankles, knees, left hip)

Old 04-22-2005, 12:53 PM   #5

acl828 HB User

[QUOTE=BionicWitch]sorry no info on ADR.

I do however have EVERY symptom you ask as with the exception of:

- Joints that "pop" a lot (ankles, knees, left hip)[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Blue]BionicWitch, I just viewed your profile and saw that you and I have a few things in common. I added you to my buddylist though I must admit, I'm still learning how to use this site and am not quite sure just what the buddylist does. I haven't even figured out how to update my own profile yet.
I don't get to sit for very long at the PC so I have to do things in a hurry. Anyway, I'm looking forward to more posts to you because I think you could teach me a lot! Thanks for your response.[/COLOR]

Old 04-22-2005, 03:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

I have NO idea about the buddy list either.....guess that's another thing we have in common. You can create (or edit) your profile in the CP (control panel) just click on your screen name in any post you've done and it should appear top left of screen.

not so nice pain day today, were it not for my laptop I'd not be posting - for sitting is out of the question tonight

just wanted to send you a quick reply - look forward to getting to know you better too!!

Bionic

Last edited by Bionicwan; 04-22-2005 at 03:30 PM.

Old 05-11-2005, 12:55 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Newbackguy HB User

I have had Prodisc II ADR's at L3,L4, and L5. I had similar symptoms in my right leg, and low back pre-op. Now I am pain free. I was back in the gym 4 1/2 weeks post op. If you are a candidate, explore all options. Don't let one doctor discourage you, find one who is part of the FDA studies for ADRs. I know how you feel, and I wish you luck.

Closed Thread