It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2005, 04:23 PM   #1
(female)

spineless50 HB User
Angry New Here..ACDF@ C3-C7 with hardware..

plates & screws July 2003...in a Maimi J collar for 6 months..have swallowing problems still...have mulitlevel DDD, Spondylolthesis,Stenonis..
Was symptom free for 9 months when burning pain started..mostly left arm/hands..NS thinks Rsd so I had a series of blocks..no help..Tens Unit no help..Nuerontin 3000mgs & 750 Vicodin 3 times a day to keep pain at a 4-5...

NOW it seems I didn't fuse at c6/7..CT scan also showing bony tubercles at c7...NS said Pseudoarthrosis...fancy work for no fuse...

See the NS in May...Would like to be ready for what he may say or suggest..

Two yeas ago I worked, played softball, golf, hiked..HAD a life...a active 48yr old female...

So will surgery help the pain..can I get by without fusing?

ANY and all comments welcomed..

Melinda

Old 04-25-2005, 06:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User
Re: New Here..ACDF@ C3-C7 with hardware..

Melinda -

I'm sorry to see that you're having these problems. I had a 3 level ACDF in '02 and still have compression at C5/6, causing me shoulder pain. I don't know what the doctor will say for sure, but he might suggest some kind of posterior procedure to go in and fix what wasn't fixed the first time.

I hate that you have to take so much Neurontin and Vicodin, and hope that you get some relief soon.

whackedback

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2005, 06:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: New Here..ACDF@ C3-C7 with hardware..

If the blocks did not help there is a great possibility that what you are suffering from is not RSD but something called central pain syndrome.it is as painful as RSD but does not involve the skin and color changes and swelling that is indicative of RSD.I have central pain in my l shoulder blade,down my arm and into my palm.This is due to thalamic tract damage done during a spinal cord surgery.It is entirely possible that during your surgery something or someone slightly damaged your thalamic tract.it does run rather close to the outside part of the spinal cord.i also have RSD in my R knee on down through the foot,and it sucks.The two syndromes are very much like one another with varying of some symptoms.But they both come with horrid surface skin pain and intense burning.My central pain actually feels like a second degree burn(muliplied by about five) that will not heal.even a slight breeze blowing over it will cause really intense pain.please let me know if this sounds like what you are experiencing.Also, what kind of blocks were done?did you have a stellate ganglion block at all?this would be the best way to determine whether or not you have RSD or central pain.i had a stellate and it did absolutely nothing at all for me ,no numbness or any other sort of a sensation to speak of.FB

Closed Thread