It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2005, 12:17 PM   #1

donna77 HB User
Question compression fractures - help - advice

My 17 yr old daughter was in an auto accident Dec 11,2004, fracturing (compression) of the T9, 10, & 11. It has been a long road. She initially was out of school for 8 weeks, on mostly bed rest, she got up for bathroom, and her school tutoring, but spent most of the time in bed in pain. She still has to wear the brace, and has just started P.T. 3 times a week for the next 6 weeks. She is still in alot of pain and her activities are very limited. She can't bend without pain, walk more than 15 min without being in pain. She can lift very little without complaining. She was released to go back to her part time job, but comes home in agaony,i think i'm gonna talk to the Dr to see about taking her back out.
Has anyone had this type of injury, and can give me some insight on what to look forward. This has been very hard dealing with a teenager that wants to do the typical things and can't because of the pain. Her Dr says it will get better, but will take time. I am beginning to think she will always have back problems, especially seeing that three years ago she also had dicsitis (infection in her spine) around the same area that was fractured.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2005, 01:05 PM   #2
(female)

Tirzah HB User
Re: compression fractures - help - advice

Hi Donna,
Welcome to the board. You can find a wealth of information here. It has helped me out alot.
I'm sorry to hear about your daughters injuries. I was in a roll over truck accident on 12/13/04 and have compression fractures of the t5,6 and 9. My t9 has cracks besides compression. It has been a very long road and I am still in alot of pain. I'm also in a brace. My ortho started me in pt back in Jan. even though I could not do much. It's hard to believe that he released her back to work before pt. I am still off work. What kind of a dr. is he. I would really recommend an ortho that specializes in spine.
Did her doctor have a mri done? The cracks in my t9 never showed up in a simple x-ray. Are her fractures in the front or back? Mine are all in the front. My ortho has told me that I will always have a curve now. He says the pain should get better though.
If you have any questions I'll try to answer them the best I can.
Tirzah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2005, 01:30 PM   #3

donna77 HB User

Tirzah,
Thanks for the reply. Her fractures are all in the front also. They did a cat-scat the night of the accident. But no MRI. She is seeing an ortho that does specialize in the spine. He sent her back to work, thinking she could do it but it does not sem to be working. It is good to hear from someone else suffering from this. Just hearing that it is just not her still suffering from pain this long after the accident. Has your Dr giving you any kid of time frame as to when it should be healed.

Old 04-24-2005, 02:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User

I think the PT is the best thing she can undergo!

Old 04-24-2005, 02:26 PM   #5
(female)

Tirzah HB User

Donna,
My ortho has said that they like to wait at least 6 months before they consider the possibility of surgery(often not recommended). I see my ortho again on Tuesday. On my last visit he told me that he might be able to take me out of this brace ( one that keeps my whole upper body straight) and put me in a corset type brace. With all that in mind I think that it is going to take several more months. My ortho has been doing a mri every 6 weeks to check that I am healing right. You may want to ask your ortho about that.
Here's a list of some of what I am still feeling-
-rib pain, I feel like I have a20lb weight sitting on my chest
-pain increases during the day . Nights are the worse.
-it hurts to cough, sneeze, or even breath sometimes. BMs even hurts.
-laying flat makes breathing more difficult.
-walking for more then 10 min. at a time is a killer. I use to walk 4-5 miles several times a week and now I can't get around the block without taking several breaks.
- sitting in a straight back chair hurts. My ortho says that a rocking chair is better because it leans back some. I can sit in one for about 1/2 hour before I need to lay down
-I also have hip and leg pain but I'm not sure if that might be from a problem in my lumbar.
What kind of problems has your daughter been complaining about?

Old 04-24-2005, 02:31 PM   #6
(female)

Tirzah HB User

PT has been the best thing for me. It helps to increase your blood flow and that helps the fractures to heal faster. It also helps to strenghen the muscles that supports the spine.
Thats why I was surprised that she was released to go back to work before going to pt.

Old 04-24-2005, 03:07 PM   #7

donna77 HB User

Tirzah,
She complains on everything you stated you are feeling, walking, sitting, standing, just alot of pain. She has started PT, but she was released to return to work, the same day she started PT. I think the DR is expected to much by her being able to return to work. She is still in High School, so after being in school for 7hrs, she is in pain from the walking (alot of stairs), and sitting, then trying to work (3-4 hrs) every day after school, is just too much.
I have also been pushing, because the Dr released she, I figured she should be able to do it. This child also missed her school trip to Costa Rica last week because of the pain, and not being able to do the stuff the group was going to do.
I think I'll call the Dr's office and ask them to put her back out of work, until she is in less pain.

Closed Thread