It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2005, 10:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User
Quietcook-please Explain These To Me!!

Hi ,
I have a pinched nerve and on May 3rd the Surgeon wants to discuss with me the results of the CT Scan and such. I want to be informed about how things work.

First of all, a NERVE BLOCK in the S1 & L5, does it need to be repeated? and what are the chances of it blocking nerves it's not suppose too?

As for a Laminectomy, how would that help? I heard from a freind that it is the bone that supports the buttocks and if removed the butt sags forever, TRUE OR NOT?

What about STEROID INJECTIONS?

DISKECTOMY??

FORAMINAL PROCEDURE?

DECOMPRESSION LUMBAR LAMINECTOMY?

What is your opinion on the best way to releave a pinched nerve? You have been though alot, And I know you can help me with the best possible procedure, I want to be informed when I see him.

I have Back pain & Soreness, I cannot walk around the block, walking causes MORE PAIN! My back gets painful only when I walk or drive and it's all the way across it, then goes into my left hip (including sore buttock and tailbone pain), Down my left leg to my foot= electrical pulses that are very painful, sometimes several in a row non-stop, weakness, I hold my front left thigh just to walk, and lower front pelvic pain as well.
He has given up on PT and I only take my Lortabs now, along with muscle relaxation he taught me to do at home.
My appt 10 days ago, I could not heel or toe walk. He had me sit in a chair and he lifted my right leg, but caused SEVERE pain shooting through it, I had to grab my thigh and sat there and cried like a Baby. He then said he would leave that alone and he slipped his hand under my left shoe and asked me not to let him push up on it, but immediatly the pain was so severe he had to move away quickly and he noticed I was holding my left thigh crying so hard I couldn't talk to him. I called his office when I got home and informed them that after his exam of my leg & foot, that my back burns and was very achy,weak and painful.
He told me not to worry, he has seen this before and it is not that unusual. Took some X-rays and a CT Scan which he will discuss with me on the 3rd of May, says it's either a pinched nerve or very irritated. Something about it being some kind of a COMPRESSED NERVE SYNDROME, that is the one that causes pain in the pelvic bone as well.
One more thing, I noticed when I am in pain I hold the left leg in the air, straight out. and if I lean over at the computer desk for more than 5-10 minutes I cannot straighten back up, the pain is too bad. But it didn't feel right (not the area of the surgery), so I grabbed an ink pen and when I tried to sit straight up, I reached back and drew a line across where it hurt so badly. I looked at it in the mirror and it is not the same area, it is 1-2 disks higher than the surgery site.
I am afraid the L4 that had a tiny tear and was leaking during my Diskogram in December has gotten worse (he said I had a 50/50 chance of it not getting worse), But the ink mark is showing a disk higher.
I plan on doing this again the day of my appt and showing him.
My Surgery as I am sure you remember was a TLIF & POSTERIOR LUMBAR INTERBODY FUSION.
Thank You in advance,
Stardust

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2005, 07:22 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
Re: Quietcook-please Explain These To Me!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 06:53 PM.

Old 04-25-2005, 12:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

QC,
He is the same Surgeon who did my Fusion 2 1/2 months ago. He is a Ortho AND NeuroSurgeon with a Spine Fellowship. The only problem now is the Nerve. And he is not suggesting another Fusion. I have only had a 1 level fusion and nothing else.
In the past I have had ESI's, Trigger Point & Facet injections, none of them ever worked, Actually made things more painful.

Is this the same thing as a Nerve Block?

I have never had a Nerve Block Before.

Does a Nerve block need repeated or is it a permanent Fix?

The Black space in the spine was already fixed, that's what he did the Fusion on.

Yes, I checked into the ADR before my Fusion, it was not available then, but he said if I ever wanted to switch over, he would be happy to do that. But I am Comfortable for now.

Sounds like a Laminectomy is what I need, something permanent. I don't want to go in every few months for another Nerve Block.

Thanks,
StarDust

Last edited by sandollar; 04-25-2005 at 12:27 PM.

Old 04-25-2005, 02:46 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 06:54 PM.

Old 04-25-2005, 04:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

CQ,
I will definatly be telling him I do not want continuous injections if thats what he's thinking, I'll find out on the 3rd. I will explain to him I want the Laminectomy and be done with it all.
I also want to know in the future if there is a problem and not have the nerves dead. Since I was told about the L4 being bad-Just not bad enough for surgery right now.
I will also make sure he uses the gel, if he agree's and does the procedure.
I wonder if it's outpatient or what?
StarDust

Old 04-25-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
(male)

et318 HB User

Hello,

The thing to remember about injections is that the duration and extent of relief depends on the cause of your pain and level of disease. I know some people who have an injection and their pain never comes back, sometimes it takes two or three. Others have a series of injections when their pain flares up every year or two or three or more.

In regards to steroid concerns, we have come a long way in technology. Most everyone remembers old "Cortisone" and we never let anyone forget it either. Everyone knows someone who got too much. The newer corticosteroids are safer and better handled by the body. There has also been extensive research on dosing.

Good Luck

Old 04-25-2005, 05:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Hi ,
I have had ESI injections, Trigger point injections and Facet injections several times over the past year in the Lumbar Area. They ALL have made the pain worse and the last set actually threw my back out and I was unable to move for over 4 days.
They just don't seem to work for me. I wish they did.
StarDust

Closed Thread