It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2005, 12:05 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
Exclamation Terribly severe foot pain.... Anyone else have it??

Hey all.... I was just wondering, does anyone else on here experience really severe foot pain... What I mean is... when I get up from laying down, or sitting down.... riding in the car what have you, when my feet hit the ground, they hurt so badly I can't hardly stand to be on them, and walk... and my toes kinda curl under.. kinda like it helps to take the pressure off them.... could this be an effect of the nerve damage of my S1 nerve root?? I've mentioned this to my pain management doc before and she never really said anything about it, basically blew it off I guess..... I go see her again this week, and I am goin to tell her I feel that my pain is getting worse in my lower back and legs.... and especially in my feet....she always asks if I feel the pain meds are helping, well I can tell her this time.... when I had my breast reduction, I had such a horrible headache and was vomiting, that my Plastic Surgeon had me stop the narcotic drugs, he said it was from the combo of the narcotics and anestesia... so for 4 days I only took tylenol or advil.... and I can tell you... my pain was 10 ++++ she will ask during my appointments what my level generally is and I tell her 8 -9....and thats with pain meds.... so now I can tell her really for sure the effect the meds are having, or not having I should say.... I am on 10mg Methadone...3 x a day.... Zanaflex... 2 at bed time... and Prosom.. 2 at bedtime to help me sleep... and I still wake up at night in terrible pain.... legs aching, and when I get up to go to the bathroom, and my feet hit that floor... OH BOY!!!! but was just curious if anyone else experiences this.... and if it ya'll think it could be due to the S1 damage? Thanks All... Take Care...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2005, 01:30 AM   #2
(female)

Noodle1104 HB User
Re: Terribly severe foot pain.... Anyone else have it??

[QUOTE=TexasWildRose04]Hey all.... I was just wondering, does anyone else on here experience really severe foot pain... What I mean is... when I get up from laying down, or sitting down.... riding in the car what have you, when my feet hit the ground, they hurt so badly I can't hardly stand to be on them, and walk... and my toes kinda curl under.. kinda like it helps to take the pressure off them.... could this be an effect of the nerve damage of my S1 nerve root?? I've mentioned this to my pain management doc before and she never really said anything about it, basically blew it off I guess..... I go see her again this week, and I am goin to tell her I feel that my pain is getting worse in my lower back and legs.... and especially in my feet....she always asks if I feel the pain meds are helping, well I can tell her this time.... when I had my breast reduction, I had such a horrible headache and was vomiting, that my Plastic Surgeon had me stop the narcotic drugs, he said it was from the combo of the narcotics and anestesia... so for 4 days I only took tylenol or advil.... and I can tell you... my pain was 10 ++++ she will ask during my appointments what my level generally is and I tell her 8 -9....and thats with pain meds.... so now I can tell her really for sure the effect the meds are having, or not having I should say.... I am on 10mg Methadone...3 x a day.... Zanaflex... 2 at bed time... and Prosom.. 2 at bedtime to help me sleep... and I still wake up at night in terrible pain.... legs aching, and when I get up to go to the bathroom, and my feet hit that floor... OH BOY!!!! but was just curious if anyone else experiences this.... and if it ya'll think it could be due to the S1 damage? Thanks All... Take Care...[/QUOTE]
I just had surgery March 23rd and I have had spasms. Also I have had shooting pains that start at my hips and go down to my feet causing me to almost collapse. Luckily I have a caregiver helping me medically and with my baby. They told me when I had my staples removed that it wasn't normal but not to worry bc nothing about me is medically explainable. My surgery was a microdisectomy of the L5 S1. They were crushed and laying on nerves they said. I'm sorry your going through this bc I know it hurts unbeleiveably bad. On a positive note @ least they give u meds 2 try 2 help. I got 2 prescriptions that lasted 2 weeks using them sparingly. Hope this goes away 4 u its scary having no control over ur body.

Old 04-25-2005, 02:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

T Rose,

I HAVE THE EXACT same thing!

Mine feel like someone is squeezing them or standing on my feet. Feels like an elephant standing on them!
and my toes curl too! Mine is mostly on the left, but on both. I do have substantial nerve damage but lately this is becoming worse, and I have it on my list to ask the NS about Tues. I don't know what it is but feel like it's got to be nerve related....I will be sure and let you know what my doc says and if you can get anyone to offer an you an explanation I'd really appreciate it if you'd share this info with me - sounds like your PM flat doesn't know, at least in my experience when they "act like they don't hear" a particular symptom you ask of - at least that's what it seems like to me

BW

Last edited by Bionicwan; 04-25-2005 at 02:14 AM.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:06 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

Thanks both of you for your responses..... Noodle my surgery was back June 04 Microdiscectomy/Laminectomy L5-S1.....my nerve damage is due to the Neurosurgeon having to cut away scar tissue that had started to form on my S1 nerve to protect it from where it was being compressed...I know this isnt normal... just wish someone (Neuro) or Pain Management would give me some answers....

BW.....I go see my Pain Management Doc Tuesday too... I will post the answers I get from her, "IF" I get any, and will be looking for what you find out as well, hopefully between the both of us we can get some answers.... Again Thanks alot! Take Care..

Old 04-25-2005, 03:58 PM   #5
(male)

et318 HB User

Rose,

Can you give me a little more information? Is the pain in the bottom of your feet? Is it very sharp? If you were to push on the soles of your feet does it hurt? especially in the middle area just before your heel?

Ed

Old 04-25-2005, 05:15 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=et318]Rose,

Can you give me a little more information? Is the pain in the bottom of your feet? Is it very sharp? If you were to push on the soles of your feet does it hurt? especially in the middle area just before your heel?

Ed[/QUOTE]

Hi Ed.... the pain is a aching, throbbing, shooting, burning pain ( burning especially down the sides of both my feet) like I said before my toes even curl under when I stand down on my feet to try to walk.... it just hurts so badly for my feet to touch the ground..... Its all I can do to walk on them.... I know I hobble or waddle around something terrible because of the way I walk because of the pain.... I know it is not "Plantar Fasciitis" that is the inflammation of the tendon in the bottom of your foot that connects to your heel.... this pain is not at the ball or just before the ball of my heel.....Thanks for your response.

TRose

Old 04-26-2005, 01:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

BW.....I go see my Pain Management Doc Tuesday too... I will post the answers I get from her, "IF" I get any, and will be looking for what you find out as well, hopefully between the both of us we can get some answers.... Again Thanks alot! Take Care.. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply Texas Wild Rose ~

I hope we ALL get some much needed answers!

BW

Old 04-26-2005, 08:51 AM   #8
(male)

victorsch HB User

It seems that you have the toes curling under because it removes tension off of the sciatic nerve, which does indeed travel all the way into the toes.

With nerve damage like that, you are experiencing compression of the nerves, much like what happens when you stick your fingers in the "chinese finger torture" toy and pull...your fingers get squeezed.

When you have nerve tension, that tension and pulling actually compresses your nerve. That would explain why you have that pain. Depending on where the nerve is damaged and/or compressed, you will experience pain, numbness, or other symptoms.

As far as my recommendations, you have a variety of options. I know I always get blasted for it, but chiropractic can help in some cases. I have had so much success and have seen so much improvement from sciatic pain myself that it can't be overlooked. Especially when you consider they don't use drugs and work with the body.

There are some bad ones out there, but from the sound of some of these posts, it looks like there are some bad MDs out there too!

Hope this all helps!

-V

Old 04-26-2005, 09:38 AM   #9

Nervous Nellie HB User

Hi Texas,

I'm had a laminectomy and fusion from L4-S1. Sometimes, depending on the prior shape of the affected nerve root, as it heals and comes "alive" it causes more pain. Your surgery was in June 2004, so it's been less than a year. Do you also suffer numbness in your feet? After the surgery, did you have a relief of symptoms and then they reappeared? Or is it possible that you are doing more physical activity now and the nerves aren't quite ready yet?

Nerves take a very long time to heal. Mine took 3 years the first time around (until their reinjury). Do you also have fasciculations (weird muscle twitches) in your legs? Those are usually signs of the nerves regenerating and coming back to life. My progress could be measured by where in my legs the twitches were....the further down, the more regeneration, until eventually they stopped growing and calmed down.

On the other hand, it's always possible that other reasons are causing your new symptoms, like new scar tissue (although it's rare to have excessive amounts) or further disk herniation, etc. You're wise to examine this closely with your doctor.

I wish you the very best of luck during your visit.

Nellie

Old 04-26-2005, 11:15 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=Nervous Nellie]Hi Texas,

I'm had a laminectomy and fusion from L4-S1. Sometimes, depending on the prior shape of the affected nerve root, as it heals and comes "alive" it causes more pain. Your surgery was in June 2004, so it's been less than a year. Do you also suffer numbness in your feet? After the surgery, did you have a relief of symptoms and then they reappeared? Or is it possible that you are doing more physical activity now and the nerves aren't quite ready yet?

Nerves take a very long time to heal. Mine took 3 years the first time around (until their reinjury). Do you also have fasciculations (weird muscle twitches) in your legs? Those are usually signs of the nerves regenerating and coming back to life. My progress could be measured by where in my legs the twitches were....the further down, the more regeneration, until eventually they stopped growing and calmed down.

On the other hand, it's always possible that other reasons are causing your new symptoms, like new scar tissue (although it's rare to have excessive amounts) or further disk herniation, etc. You're wise to examine this closely with your doctor.

I wish you the very best of luck during your visit.

Nellie[/QUOTE]

Nellie....Hi.....Yes, I suffer numbness in my feet, and in my legs....I did have complete relief of my symptoms right after my surgery for about 2 weeks... then my symptoms began to come back, I did not have any symptoms in my left side before surgery, only the right, but now I have the same symptoms on the left as well.....I do have the muscle twitches that you mentioned, and also I have cramping that feels like charlie horses....

My Pain Management Doctor... (Who did my ESI's said it could take 3-5 years for me to heal "IF" I was going to but that was a BIG IF...) I now see his PA when I go for my visits,My PM just does the procedures......my twitiching happens all up and down my legs... sometimes in my calfs.... sometimes the thighs... and also I get the twitching in my buttock cheeks......so it moves around....My Neuro did say that since he had to cut away scar tissue from the nerve that had started to grow to protect it, it was quite possible that more scar tissue has grown back, but nobody will go in and touch it because i will just grow back worse each time it is cut away....

I am definately going to "TRY" to discuss it with my PM today... but as I said before, its if she discusses it or blows it off... which I have made up my mind I am not going to let her do.....I go see her today at 2:50.... so hopefully I will get some answers....

Thanks All!!!

TRose

Old 04-26-2005, 11:29 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 08:16 PM.

Old 04-26-2005, 12:17 PM   #12
(male)

tracer HB User

i have terrible lower leg pain and mri shows alot of scar tissue.my doc is saying same as urs to go in and cut more will make even more scar tissue.

Old 04-26-2005, 02:57 PM   #13

Nervous Nellie HB User

Texas,

A couple of things. It would take one heck of a lot of scar tissue to cause permanent symptoms around your nerve roots. I had lots of scar tissue and was fine until I re-injured myself a couple of years ago, but again, it took 3 years for my nerve roots to get used to the scar tissue (epidural root fibrosis) that they already had originally. But they did get used to it.

As QuiteCook mentioned, there are several new methods such as Adcon to reduce the amount of scar tissue that your body will produce, but normally, unless your body produces excessive amounts, it doesn't cause a problem to the nerve roots.

I suspect, if they've already reduced the pressure and trauma to your nerve roots via surgery, that your nerve roots will recover over time, but again, it takes a very long time. I only know this from my own experience with scarred nerve roots and how long it took before they recovered, but eventually they did. You many have had some axonal loss (the long fibres that run from the nucleus of the nerve cell to the tips of your toes, and there's no cure for that, except for time).

Nellie

Old 04-26-2005, 03:22 PM   #14
(female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User

I agree with nellie. I have the foot/toe pain too. The first three toes, especially the big one, feel broken sometimes, as if smashed. Sometimes it feels like I am walking on broken glass. Just lightly touching the foot can cause excruciating pain, so the PT said to desensitize the foot by rubbing a towel on it every day a few times a day, especially if the foot goes cold, because it needs the circulation and rubbing helps desensitize the nerves. There is some kind of thing you can develop with this poor circulation and it's a concern.

But mostly it feels like knives stabbing me. and sometimes I get electrical currents running on the outside of my foot. I kept having my husband look at my toes because I thought I had a splinter of glass, and there never was, just the nerves. I sometimes do get the toes curling in, when the pain is really bad. And yes, you can't walk on that.

It's horrible.

My pain got to a 10, at about 8 months after surgery (to remove the disk fragment from the nerve L4/L5), so now am on neurotin and it takes away 95% of the nerve pain.

My leg will begin to ache at the same time the foot aches. then pain will flare up in the leg, and the toe will stab. One always accompanies the other. By the end of the day I"m limping pretty bad and have to lay down. Doctor says to walk an hour a day, but limping on what feel like broken toes is very painful, so I undertstand how you feel. My doctor told me today that I have a 90% chance of regaining the use of my foot (my foot is weak as well as painful, numb, and hard to lift when I walk. Feels like a quarter of a brick is on my shoe, that hard to lift the foot). But he said it will take a full 3 years. Sorry. But that's what he keeps saying. It's a LONG LONG recovery. That nerve has to heal all the way down the leg.

Frankly, I don't know if I can hang in there. The neurontin helps the pain but fries the brain so I can't funciton, but I can't live with that level of pain. No back pain ever compared to this nerve pain. You need to talk to the doctor and see a PT because they need you to do foot exercises and rubbing, and stretch out the achilles or it can become foreshortened, causing more problems.

Does your foot get cold?

Old 04-26-2005, 05:41 PM   #15
(male)

tracer HB User

yeah a heck of a lot. i had a post surgery mri early,5 wks post-op cause of so much pain in my lower leg mainly ankle to lower calf and on top of my foot.it only hurt when walking and just tingled when at rest, and the doc was suprised at the amount of scar tissue that early after surgery.up until a resent nerve block i really didnt believe my leg problem was from my back. but... for 3 days after a nerve block my leg was much better.i surely never expected anything like this but it happened.the doc wants another mri now to look at after total healing.but he said if i didnt have another rupture and my spine was stable more surgery would leave me with more scarring.so if it is only scarring it should not progress any further.although it is painful and debilateing. the risk of more scarring from another surgery is to high.

AFTER RESERSHING SOME I THINK MY NERO IS CALLING Arachnoiditis SCAR TISSUE. MAYBE U SHOULD GOGGLE IT AND SEE WAT U THINK.
ME AND MY NERO ARE GONNA HAVE A HEART TO HEART SOON!!!!!!!

Last edited by tracer; 04-27-2005 at 02:39 AM. Reason: NEW INFO

Closed Thread