It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2005, 08:13 AM   #1
(female)

AmyMarie HB User
Red face Please Help!!!

I am expieriencing severe back and siatic nerve pain and have been for the past two years. MRI show that there is no significant disc damage to cause the nerve pain. Right befor the pain started I had delivered my first child and recieved an epidural. The first epidural did not take and the doc. kept adding more and more meds. eventually it was taken out and another was inserted. For weeks I remember being sore in my back and then a couple of months later I started having the nerve pain shooting down my butt and leg. it now goes to my toes. i under went chiropractic care, antiinflamatory drugs, and now Wed. I have an appt. with a nero surg. I don't know wether to mention the epidural or if he'll just think I'm stupid. Please HELP!!!

Old 04-25-2005, 08:45 AM   #2
(female)

blossom64 HB User
Unhappy Re: Please Help!!!

[QUOTE=AmyMarie] I am expieriencing severe back and siatic nerve pain and have been for the past two years. MRI show that there is no significant disc damage to cause the nerve pain. Right befor the pain started I had delivered my first child and recieved an epidural. The first epidural did not take and the doc. kept adding more and more meds. eventually it was taken out and another was inserted. For weeks I remember being sore in my back and then a couple of months later I started having the nerve pain shooting down my butt and leg. it now goes to my toes. i under went chiropractic care, antiinflamatory drugs, and now Wed. I have an appt. with a nero surg. I don't know wether to mention the epidural or if he'll just think I'm stupid. Please HELP!!![/QUOTE]

Amy, every doctor I went to for my back said they couldn't see everything without a myleogram because the nerves are so tiny. I had a MRI, and then a catscan with a myleogram, and they found alot more with it. I know when I had my surgery 7 weeks ago he said that I had alot of built up scar tissue and the disc had caused more problems than they thought. They just can't see everything. I know it was true with my rotator cuff tear too, first doc looked at MRI and said I didn't have a tear, and when I went to another Ortho, he said he thought I had a rotator tear but wasn't sure. When he went in to do surgery it was a huge tear, and tons of scar tissue they had to break loose.......

So keep persisting..if you have sciatia, it's for a reason.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2005, 11:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User
Re: Please Help!!!

Yes, do mention the epidural problem...it is important for the dr. to know as much as you can tell them.

It''s true that an MRI does not always tell the whole story. It's possible that you have a tear in the disc and it is leaking fluid onto the nerves which is causing your pain. Its called Internal Disc Disruption. You will need more testing for that to be found...myelogram-ct with contrast, and maybe a discogram.

Good luck. Let us know how you do.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 04-25-2005, 01:47 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User
Re: Please Help!!!

i totally agree...mention it & take the risk of "looking stupid" (which is not stupid!).

i had 5 mris between 2000-2004 (1/yr) and NONE showed my annular tear, let alone my sciatica or si pain!

it's possible your sciatica is being caused by your piriformis, like mine is. you know where your "hip bone" sticks out at your side? (where you tend to measure for your hips!). if you place pressure on that bone w/your thumb and you yelp from achy pain, it's probably the muscle!

the sciatic runs under the piriformis (which is under your glutes), both starting at your lumbar. while the nerve veers straight down the back of your thigh, the muscle connects to your hip (or thigh bone, actually...that bone we call the hip bone is really the top of the femur). that's how mine was diagnosed.

good luck!
IDET '04
Laminectomy '06
Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Old 04-26-2005, 06:53 AM   #5
(female)

AmyMarie HB User
Question Re: Please Help!!!

what treatment did you recieve for your tear?
amy

Closed Thread