It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2005, 04:22 PM   #1
(male)

frank0678 HB User
Please help with cervical MRI results

Hi,

I am hoping someone can tell me how to read the following results and what are the likely treatments. I had a cervical MRI, which was ordered after having a nerve block on my lower back. The cervical MRI had the following signficant results:

Findings: There is significant disc disease at C6-7 where there is a suggestion of focal signal abnormality within the cord on sagittal images.

At C6-7, there is right paracentral disc bulge, extending into the right neural foramen, which is severely narrowed. The left neural foramen is widely patent at this level, but there is mild mass-effect on the cord.

Impression: Right paracentral/foraminal disc bulge at C6-7, with severe right neural foraminal narrowing and mild mass-effect on the cord. Questionable mild cord signal abnormality focally at this level.

Thanks for any help,
Frank

Last edited by frank0678; 04-25-2005 at 04:42 PM.

Old 04-26-2005, 08:02 AM   #2
(male)

frank0678 HB User
Re: Need help with cervical MRI results

I forgot to mention that I also have a bulging disc at L5 S1, which has masked some of the neck pain. Similar to getting rid of pain in your arm by dropping a brick on your foot .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2005, 08:45 AM   #3
(male)

victorsch HB User

Frank,

In a nuttshell, the results state that your disk between the 6th and 7th vertebrae in your neck is bulging significantly into the hole on the right side where your spinal nerve comes out. The references to the signal are in regards to how light or dark a part of your anatomy is on the MRI, and how much of it has water or fluid in it.

This is probably the cause of your severe pain and symptoms into your arm.

As far as treatment options, your referring MD would be the best to ask, because they have detailed information about your case and know people in your area who would help you best.

Hope that helps!

-V

Old 04-26-2005, 10:24 AM   #4
(male)

marbelmo HB User

Frank,
This C6-C7 area is exactly the same location I have problems. Could you shed some light on the kind of pain it's causing you.

Mine is neck burning & stiffness, tricep weakness, and sometimes even stabbing pain between shoulder blades and more burning that wraps around to the front under the collar bone. Not to mention shoulders that feel like it's impossible to release tension in. Does any of this sound familiar?

Thanks

Old 04-26-2005, 12:13 PM   #5
(male)

frank0678 HB User

Thanks for the replies.

Your description was very helpful Victorsch.

My pain is totally different than yours, marbelmo. I have pins and needles in my hands and my neck just hurts all the time. In additon, I seem to be having a hard time holding my head steady. I hope I don't start getting your symptoms as well. I am tired enough of this stuff.

Frank

Old 04-26-2005, 12:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User

Hi Frank! I can relate to the pins and needles and left arm weak. I have constant neck and shoulder pain. Mine, is due to probably the non fusion of my cervical 5-6-7, but I also had issues on c 3-5 on my last mri. I also had a discecomy on my l5, now collapsed. L 3-5 were bulging also on the old mri, 3 yrs ago. I am awaiting new testing, mri, ct mylegram. The head and neck being unsteady, oh yeah! Driving, sitting standing, bending the head to read, all of it. Sleeping is not easy, only can lay on my right side and pillows, must be low and the special neck kind. It's raining today and I can always tell when the humidity gets high. Neck pillows help when driving long distance, be so careful the way you get up and Don't pull or tug things, I was out flat last week due to just tugging a bag of soil. Don't give up!! there are things we can still do, just not what you use to. Now I have to hire people to do it, and lecture them on how not to hurt themselves!! These boards help us all, we are not alone!!!

Old 04-26-2005, 02:55 PM   #7
(male)

frank0678 HB User

Cardinal, thank you. My level of frustration is high. Actually, if someone suggests surgery, I am ready. I am tired of the pain and the inability to do normal items.

Closed Thread