It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2005, 08:02 AM   #1
(female)

LkK2507 HB User
Does anyone know anything about curved spines?

All my life Ive had a somewhat curved middle or upper back. Its not sculiosis. My grandmother on my fathers side and my father both have the same back. when I was little I know i had bad posture cause my grandmother always corrected me. sinse I have been older Im very aware of it and how unattractive it is if I dont stand straight so I try really hard to stand straight. I also (when I do) work out my back and sholder muscles to keep my sholders back and back straight. most the time its just like my back isnt made to do this. my back pain is off and on. I also pop my back alot. I just kinda push back on a chair or lay on the ground or have someone sqeeze me. I also can just bend my self to the side a little while faceing forward and pop a few for relief. I have soo many questions and would love to go to a Kyropractor but I hear so many bad things. like most people my back hurts me the worst while standing. Walk, and running and other activities dont bother it that much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2005, 08:31 AM   #2
(male)

victorsch HB User
Re: Does anyone know anything about curved spines?

How is your spine curved? Is it curved left to right or front to back?

If you have a left to right curve, then you would have a scoliosis. There is not much, as I am sure that you are no longer an adolescent, that you could do to straighten out your bones of the spine, as that is something that takes years to form, and is merely impossible to remove.

However, there are a lot of postural things you could do, and people with scoliosis do have muscular imbalances in their backs, so that one side of their back is stronger than the other.

You have a variety of options, and a chiropractor would not be a bad choice in helping your back move better and relieve some of your discomfort. A good one will also introduce exercises and stretches to help with your muscular imbalance and make you less dependent on the chiropractor, so you can help yourself.

A physical therapist would also be able to assist you in helping you with your postural issues, and they would also be able to give stretches and exercises.

I hope this helps you out. Good luck!

-V

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2005, 01:17 PM   #3
(female)

LkK2507 HB User

no mine curves to the front its not scoliosis Ive been tested for that. well.. when I was younger anyway.. No mine definatly curves forward. when I bend over as far as I can with my spine its a pretty sharp curve. but I can keep my back pretty straight if I try

Old 04-26-2005, 02:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

I know what you are talking about I remember as a child being told to stand up straight ect. Several of my MRI's have stated that I have "kyphosis" and the simple way of putting this is called hunchback, yrs ago I thought it was the start of osteoarthritis but was off on that.
To the best of my knowledge there is not really much to be done about it as it is not just bad oposture but the shape of the spine.I know I hate it with a passion it makes me feel so old and unattractive.
Linda

Old 04-26-2005, 04:28 PM   #5

Nervous Nellie HB User

[QUOTE=LkK2507]All my life Ive had a somewhat curved middle or upper back. Its not sculiosis. My grandmother on my fathers side and my father both have the same back. when I was little I know i had bad posture cause my grandmother always corrected me. sinse I have been older Im very aware of it and how unattractive it is if I dont stand straight so I try really hard to stand straight. I also (when I do) work out my back and sholder muscles to keep my sholders back and back straight. most the time its just like my back isnt made to do this. my back pain is off and on. I also pop my back alot. I just kinda push back on a chair or lay on the ground or have someone sqeeze me. I also can just bend my self to the side a little while faceing forward and pop a few for relief. I have soo many questions and would love to go to a Kyropractor but I hear so many bad things. like most people my back hurts me the worst while standing. Walk, and running and other activities dont bother it that much.[/QUOTE]

LkK2507,

There is no "perfect" back. I can understand if folks see you hunching over that they would worry about osteoporosis. The rounded shoulders, despite you're not having severe constant pain.

I guess a lot depends on how old you are and what your history is, with regard to the possibility of osteoporosis. Caucasian, thin, smokers are most prone to that condition, where the bones just kind of crumble onto each other and you get the classic "dowagers hump".

Then again, you might just be built that way! Is the majority of your pain felt in your upper back?

I guess I would need to ask how old you are and what your symptoms have been thus far. If you are generally healthy and active and you seem a bit slope-shouldered, then yes, that could just be your general posture.

Then again it could signify microscopic fractures in your vertebrae that make you have that "hunched back" appearance.

Nellie

Old 04-27-2005, 07:35 AM   #6
(female)

LkK2507 HB User

Thank you for all the replies! (kyphosis) is right! I looked that up once I like that name better than hunchback . 1st off Im 23 female. Im about 5,7 120lbs Im pretty thin. Yes I am active, but not as much as I used too. in High school I played basketball and was very active. Anyway yeah it is my upper back that bothers me. usually the aching is right at the most curved part of my back. I feel like I have to pop it alot. Anyway.. Standing for a long time.. bothers me more than running or being active. like I said.. my dad has this back. my grandma and my uncle even. I asked my dad and he said he doesnt remember his bothering him that much when he was younger. Although I know he wasnt as active in sports as I am and .. He might jsut be forgetting. My lower back has also kinda slipped out before too but nothing bad.. just a sharp pain right when it happens then mabe a little soreness the next day. It is alway from me bending over and doing things and prolly lifting wrong! so thats my fault. seems like MOST people have lower back issues.

Old 04-27-2005, 08:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

Oh yea kyphosos sounds a lot better doesn't it, I can put my shpoulders abck and stand up straight bit the curve diesn't go anywhere, I hate the way it makes me look though now I'm 51 I also am 5''7' and wighed a 120 most of my adult life but have put on a lot of weight these past few yrs due to meds and medical issues.
I really haven't studied this much as it isn't the source of my pain just unsightly in my situation as far as I know there isn't much can be done for it but being so young I'd do more research if I was you.
Yes it is the lower back that s usually the source of most peoples pain as it carries thr brunt of the weight and is the most used.
Linda

Old 04-27-2005, 10:43 AM   #8
(male)

et318 HB User

Initial and best treatments for kyphosis typically involve postural training with a focus on training certain muscle groups to create a balance around the spine. Certain areas may need to be over-strengthened to counter the spinal curvature. You really should find a good program while you are young. Failure to address symptomatic kyphosis when you are young can speed up spinal degeneration that could later become more problematic.

Good Luck

Closed Thread