It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2005, 07:59 AM   #1
(female)

CocoandChase HB User
Red face Have horrible pain and EMG showed nothing! Please HELP!

Horrible right Leg PAIN Had EMG today and nothing showed up???
Please Help me!! I had a EMG today and the Dr. said no nerve being pinched. I'm scared because I have terrible back and leg pain. Has anyone out there had this happen? Low back and horrible right leg pain. But the EMG did not show anything?? Please help!

Old 04-26-2005, 08:02 AM   #2
(male)

victorsch HB User
Re: Have horrible pain and EMG showed nothing! Please HELP!

Please don't be scared, as there are many factors that can cause leg and back pain.

If you have an inflamed muscle, for example, you may experience pain.

If you have a herniated disk, you may experience that same kind of pain. What options were you given beyond the EMG that didn't show anything at all?

Let us all know what they recommended from here so that we all can help you with the next steps you could take!

We're here to help! Just let us do so!

-V

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2005, 08:08 AM   #3
(female)

CocoandChase HB User

Thank You all for your help!! I go Wed. for MRI. I know I have Bulges in my spine because I had an MRI a year ago. But this has been going on for two years and it keeps getting worse- the pain in my leg. I just want to know where this pain is coming from!!! Thanks to everyone!!

Old 04-26-2005, 08:39 AM   #4
(male)

victorsch HB User

Coco,

Disk bulges are a degenerative process, so they rarely resolve, and many times get worse over time.

The reason why your symptoms may be getting worse is that the bulged disk may be pressing on more and more parts of the nerves that are affected. Some parts of your nerves are for pain; some parts are for temperature and light touch. Depending on where it is getting pressed, you will experience more or less of a symptom. For example, as the nerve gets pressed, some may experience more and more numbness. In your case, you experience more and more pain (unfortunately).

Good luck with the MRIs and I hope they give you the answers you are hoping to find!

-V

Old 04-26-2005, 08:54 AM   #5

Nervous Nellie HB User

As Victor said, there are many factors that can cause back and leg pain. EMG's can show nerve deficits (poor conduction, etc) but they won't necessarily pick up "pain" from a nerve that is getting irritated by pressure, but not enough pressure to cause immediate damage. In other words an "irritated " nerve root won't necessarily show up as a "damaged" nerve on an EMG, which is a good thing.

The MRI should show the bigger picture and determine whether there is a disk bulge that is pressing too closely to the nerve root.

My history of surgery was a disk decompression (L4-L5) back in 1979 when I was around 21. My nerve root was irritated but not damaged. Unfortunately, back then they didn't even have CAT scans, so they didn't know that I had congenital spinal stenosis (too narrow a spinal canal), and that's what was really causing the constriction on my nerve roots, not the disk herniation. I then had a later operation to widen the narrow canal and fuse the bones. (Since then I've had a couple of injuries that were not caused by the surgeries).

Bottom line, my nerve hurt like heck, but fortunately it wasn't damaged. I hope the same prognosis is found in your case. I have great faith in the MRI as a diagnostic tool.

Good luck and keep us posted, okay?

Nelllie

Old 04-26-2005, 09:09 AM   #6
(male)

et318 HB User

Hi,

EMG and NCV testing is a great tool. However, there are delays from when compression of a nerve begins to when it will show up on these tests. Some say 6 months or longer. Not having positive findings only means that this test did not help significantly in diagnosing your pain. Nothing more. This may be somewhat confusing because you may have had your leg pain for longer than 6 months. When that is the case it may not have been frank compression of the nerve root which will also skew the results of the test.

Therefore, despite this test, you can still have nerve compression or irritation. The MRI results should give some more insight.

Old 04-26-2005, 09:15 AM   #7
(female)

CocoandChase HB User

Thank you for all your information. It really helps to read all of your posts. I know I'm not imagining all of this pain!! The pain is just sooo bad in the morngs when I get up!! I feel like I'm going crazy after two years of this! Thanks for all the help! It does make me feel better. I'm just ready to walk this world again if you know what I mean! Best wishes to everyone out there!

Old 04-26-2005, 09:52 AM   #8
(male)

victorsch HB User

Well stated, et318!

Sounds like great advice to you Coco!

Good luck!

-V

Closed Thread