It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2005, 01:34 PM   #1
(female)

kt41577 HB User
laminectomy and discectomy ????

what are these? laminectomy and discectomy? who has them? what type of conditions? what is the recovery?

just looking for info-I looked on-line, but its very technical! I need layman's terms!!

Old 04-26-2005, 04:13 PM   #2
(female)

justjustine HB User
Re: laminectomy and discectomy ????

Hi

I know a little bit about this. I have had both done on L5-S1. Discectomy involves removing the herniated disc in between your vertebral discs. The lamina is actually a part of the bone and will often be shaved off (don't know if that is a great way to put it) to alleviate pressure on the impinged nerve. The internet (a web anatomy page) has a picture of this. I will try and see if I can find a good picture.

As far as the "conditions" go..do you mean symptoms? I had extreme sciatic pain and pain in the buttocks. Numbness in leg and foot.

My recovery was great, and I had no pain for about 6 years. But, I now have major pain due to inflammation of the scar tissue around the surgery site.

Hope this helps

Justine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2005, 04:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

Hi There!
I don't know if I can help you, but I will tell you what I know, and my experience. I was herniated at L4-5, & L5-S1, I had a hemilaminectomy for micodisectomy. My neuro went in and shaved off the herniations at both levels, which eleviated (sp?) the pain in my right leg, where the nerve was being pressed on by both herniations. Unfortunatley because I also have ddd the surgery failed and I have reherniated, I am now in the process of getting ready for a possible fusion. As for the recovery period, for 6-8 weeks, you can not lift anything heavier then a gallon of milk. You can not drive for about 4-6 weeks.
Good Luck
M

Old 04-20-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
(female)

sandyhawkinswv HB User

Hello I'm am planning on surgery 05/09/2006 for hemilaminectomy and have no clue what to expect so can help me please do so. How bad was the pain after surgery. how long will i have to take it easy. Did anyone have to spend time in the hospital after this surgery, and did you hav eto continue to take pain medications after the surgery and for how long. I am a big baby and not a big fan of pain or needles. you can email me at[email][COLOR=Sienna][I]REMOVED[/I][/COLOR][/email]..... Thanks alot my new friends and by the way mine is l L4- L5 with pain in butt and done the leg that feels like a major toothache. Sandy

[COLOR=Sienna][I]Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board.[/I][/COLOR]

Last edited by moderator2; 04-22-2006 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Please honor your membership agreement. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

caszyman HB User

Kt,

Are you continuing to have trouble since your fusion? How is pt going?

My daughter had both the laminectomy and discectomy along with her two level fusion. My understanding of the lamy is what Justine said. There is a small pointy bone on the one side of the disc. This is removed. They mixed this bone with the donor bone for her fusion. She had this procedure for stenosis. From what her dr explained, this opened up the space for the nerves.

I'm not as sure about the discectomy. I know they removed the inner disc material. They put a spacer in to keep the normal disc height. Then I think he told me they put bone on both sides - the fusion.

She had a little pain Sat. night, but this has only been twice since surgery. cas

Old 04-21-2006, 07:24 PM   #6
(female)

sandyhawkinswv HB User
Lightbulb Re: laminectomy and discectomy ????

as i said before i have planned surgery for 05/09/06 but have a planned vacation to ocean city md with the family from those that have had this done will i be ablle to make a 6 hour ride. or should schedule for after the vacation....please help

Old 04-22-2006, 07:50 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

mkf HB User

when is the vacation planned ? You can expect to not be riding in a car for 6 hours for a couple of months I would think.

Old 04-22-2006, 08:35 AM   #8
(female)

sandyhawkinswv HB User
Post Re: laminectomy and discectomy ????

[QUOTE=mkf]when is the vacation planned ? You can expect to not be riding in a car for 6 hours for a couple of months I would think.[/QUOTE]

the vacation is for 06/10-17 and i have read some of the relys and think i had better change the surgery because i do want to go to the beach
email me at [email][COLOR=Sienna][I]REMOVED[/I][/COLOR][/email].

[COLOR=Sienna][I]Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board.[/I][/COLOR]

Last edited by moderator2; 04-22-2006 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Please honor your membership agreement. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 04-22-2006, 09:06 AM   #9
(female)

sandyhawkinswv HB User

ok will do sorry

Old 04-22-2006, 11:42 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

mkf HB User

I had a laminectomy and facetectomy in late feb 05 and wasn't back to work for eight weeks - and had to work up to full time 2 hrs a day for two weeks, then 4 hrs for two week, etc. Driving in the car didn't happen for 3 to 4 weeks and I cannot imagine being in a cooped up position for 6 hours. Have you asked your dr? I did fly to CA in mid May and did ok, the flight was 3 hrs, and I took meds with me but I was ok. You're talking about 4 weeks after surgery? Just ask your dr. Funny thing - when I had my surgery there was a woman in the same room that had the same surgery and we both went home the next day. Problem was (for me) - I felt awful the 24 hrs I was there and she was up sitting at the foot of her bed combing her hair, etc. It was a totally different experience for us. I was mad at her for feeling so good!! how ridiculous is that?! So, my point is, maybe you'd be one of the lucky ones. Maybe your experience wouldn't be like mine was. You should ask your Dr. A trip to the beach sounds wonderful!

Old 04-23-2006, 12:31 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

caszyman HB User

KT,
Are you in the need for additional surgery???
cas

Old 04-24-2006, 04:49 PM   #12
(female)

sandyhawkinswv HB User

change of surgery i will have it a few days after i come home from the beach i think this will work better for me.....and any information on the lamnectomy please keep me updated

Old 04-25-2006, 03:41 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

sunshine221 HB User

I had laminectomy on C4-C7 in sept 05. This was for spinal stenosis. My understanding is that they "simply" cut out part of each vertebrea to make more room for the spine to move - not sure what they did or didn't do to the disks. So I literallly have holes in my spine. However at my age, 47, I think it beats discotomy and fusion where you can have more wear and tear at other levels in the long run.

The biggest surprise to me after surgery was the lack of upper body strength - they cut right through the large back muscles. I wasn't in horrible pain (less than I expected to be) but the lack of ability to move my arms significantly surprised me - my husband had to help me shower and dress for several days postop. I was able to do most things for myself within 2-3 weeks. I didn't drive until about 4 weeks, I tried once sooner, but was uncomfortable looking behind.

Old 05-05-2006, 06:39 PM   #14
(female)

RENEE24 HB User

galesburg il

Last edited by RENEE24; 05-05-2006 at 06:49 PM.

Old 05-05-2006, 06:42 PM   #15
(female)

RENEE24 HB User
Exclamation Re: laminectomy and discectomy ????

I Am A 23 Year Old Female I Had A Laminectomy And Discectomy In September Of 2005 I Have Had A Ton Of Problems With My Back And Leg Since Having The Surgery. I Kept Going Back To My Doctor Having The Same Problem That I Was Having Before The Surgery But The Pain Was More Intense Than It Was Before I Had The Surgery. The Doctor Kept Giving Me A Run Around He Even Told Me On My Last Doctors Appt. To Stop Being A Big Baby, After That I Switched Doctors And My New Doctor Did An Mri And Couldn't Believe What He Saw.... The Doctor That Called Me A Big Baby Failed To Tell Me That He Removed The Whole Spinous Process Off Of L4 And Then Went And Took A Huge Piece Of Bone From L5 Also And Started To Cut My Back In The Wrong Spot. He Started To Operate At L3 L4 Level So My Scar Is Six Inches Long Instead Of The Two Inches That It Was Suppose To Be. I Had No Idea That It Was Only Suppose To Be Two Inches Long Until I Went To The Other Doctor And He Couldn't Believe The Size Of My Scar. Well Needless To Say You Should Do A Lot Of Research On Your Doctor Before You Let Him Cut Into You. Also I Have To Have Atleast Two More Surgery To Try And Repair The Mess Caused To My BacK since that surgery my disc has reherniated because i have no support there with all the bone missing. I will have more surgeries as i get older.

Last edited by RENEE24; 05-05-2006 at 06:47 PM.

Closed Thread