It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2005, 02:05 PM   #1
(male)

Disc HB User
Nerve Root Block Injection Too concerned..?

What is the immidiate reaction on the table when u get Nerve Root Block injection for a Herniated Disc at L5S1 Level, Pain in leg and back vanishes or what.?
How long this process of injec takes .a bit nerveous got a call from hospital that bring some one who can take care of you along.
Any experieces pls

Old 04-27-2005, 05:05 PM   #2
(male)

Disc HB User
Re: Nerve Root Block Injection Too concerned..?

21 views and no comments strange ,someone be kind.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2005, 05:13 PM   #3
(male)

et318 HB User

It is quite normal for the facility to recommend that you bring someone with you. You will need this person to drive you home. Most pain mgmt. docs will provide you with a little sedation for comfort. You are not allowed to drive after receiving sedation. This is a legal requirement for the facility.

Depending on the technical competence of the m.d. doing the block and the number of levels, it could take from 10 to 30 minutes. Sometimes longer for people who have had fusions because steering the needle around the fusion mass can be challenging.

After receiving a small sedative the m.d. injects a little local into the skin. He then passes a needle through the numb spot and guides it towards the neural foramen (nerve opening). He will usually inject a little contrast to verify his placement and he can see this because he is using fluoroscopy (x-ray).

When he is comfortable with the placement they typically inject local anesthetic and corticosteroid. Best case scenario is that the local anesthetic numbs your pain source right away and you feel better immediately. In some situations it may take a few days for the steroid to alleviate the irritation.

Good Luck

Old 04-28-2005, 03:51 AM   #4

swryan HB User

Had the same block/same disk done 3 weeks ago. Had to bring a driver, didn't need one. No sedation. Only pain is when the needle actually hits the nerve and when the medication is injected and this pain is very brief. Real problem is just the anxiety. Shot didn't help but it was not that bad.

Good Luck

Old 04-28-2005, 06:04 AM   #5
(male)

Disc HB User

[QUOTE=swryan]Had the same block/same disk done 3 weeks ago. Had to bring a driver, didn't need one. No sedation. Only pain is when the needle actually hits the nerve and when the medication is injected and this pain is very brief. Real problem is just the anxiety. Shot didn't help but it was not that bad.

Good Luck[/QUOTE]
Thanks for responding if this doesnt work what r u looking at next,did nerve block gave u any little bit of relief or absoulutly nothing.

Old 04-28-2005, 11:41 AM   #6

swryan HB User

I had the nerve block and facet block and didn't get any relief. I'm not as bad as most in this forum but still aging (43) too quickly. I'm still mobile and working and only use Advil as needed. Next step is to see the top neo at NE Baptist and see what he suggests, that's next week. Until then I just step lightly and hope to avoid any major episodes. Good Luck

Old 05-24-2005, 07:16 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Take a muscle relaxer if you have one, and a Xanax or Vailum if you have that. Bring a driver. Ask for an shot of Versad in the vein.

Bring a smile cause you are going to need one

Old 05-24-2005, 07:45 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

I had a nerve block at L5-S1 about a year ago..... They did not give me anything for sedation, but they do numb the area with a local anesthetic, then they insert the needle, and when they get the needle positioned where they want it, they inject the anesthetic and corticosteroid....the way my Pain Management doctor knew that my S1 nerve was the one giving me the problem was when he injected me at that area, It immediately recreated my pain.... shot pain from my lower back to my hip, into my buttocks, down my leg right into my right foot, and felt like it was shooting out of my toes... I kinda squealed a bit when he recreated my pain, because I must say, it did hurt something awful...... He told me that the pain would go away in about 3-5 seconds... sure enough it went away.... about as fast as it came on....That was probably the best 25 min or so I have had in a year.....First time I had been pain free in that length of time...... But by the time I got home my pain had already returned......Like everyone else said, they do have you bring someone that can drive you home.... and they told me after my procedure to just rest the remainder of the day.... then the next day I could resume my normal activity, or atleast resume what I was capable of doing...

Good Luck to ya,

TRose

Closed Thread