It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2005, 03:35 PM   #1
(female)

girl12345 HB User
Help! ESI injections and headaches!

Help!! Has anyone ever had a headache after there ESI injection? I had the injection in the lower back a week ago (second one). I ended up with a headache within a few hours and then I got dizzy that night. It has not gone away since then. I called the surgery center who said that it could be a caffeine(SP?) headache from the injection and to take tylenol and drink any caffinated drink. I then talked to my doctor's nurse who at first said that it is not from the injection, but would talk to the doctor. She called back and told me to come in by the end of the week. She stated that I should drink a lot of liquids including a caffinated drink. I have an appointment tommorrow. I am also thinking that it might also be from my upper back and neck pain. I am getting nervous because he usually does not insist I come in immediately. I am the one that usually has to insist on the appointment. Has anyone ever had a headache from the injection? What type of headache was it? What was done for this? Please help!!

Old 04-26-2005, 08:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Help! ESI injections and headaches!

Hi,
I've had dozens of lumber esi's but have never had a headache after. Some patients have told me that after having an esi in the upper back/neck area they do get an instant headache. I'm sorry that your having a bad headache. It does seem like too long of a time afterwards. If it was me I'd probably go to the emergenccy room just in case the injection caused an infection in your system. I don't know about drinking a caffeinated drink, I'd be more inclined to have the ER check my blood for an infection. Let us know what happens, I hope it turns out to be nothing serious.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2005, 06:22 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

EmtShirl HB User
Smile Re: Help! ESI injections and headaches!

Girl ~

I have had 11 total ESI's over the years. I only once got the spinal headache. Because of scar tissue the needle slipped and I had a CSF leak. The headache I got was because of the spinal fluid leak. Headaches of this kind can go away by themselves but it will take time. It can take weeks or you can go in and have a blood patch done. The blood patch works right away and your headache should be gone. I have always been told after injections like an ESI to drink caffeine. If offered to have a blood patch and your headache is still that bad it might be worth it for you to go and have it done. Why sit with this bad headache if you don't have to?

Please let us know what happens.

Shirl

1980- Transaxillary resection of 1st rib and division of band (left side)
1982- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
1985- Transaxillary excision of cervical rib (right side)
1991- Laser stapedectomy (right side)
1992- Fractional D&C
1992- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
1996- Lumbar hemilaminectomy
1999- Left knee arthoscopic surgery
2001- Laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy
2002- L5-S1 Microdiscectomy
2002- L4-L5, L5-S1 Anterior inter-body lumbar fusion with cages and my own bone from left hip for bone graft
2002- Neck problems Surgery??????
2002 DEC 21- C4-5, C5-C6 Anterior Cervical Corpectomy with Fusion and Internal Fixation (Bone from the bone bank)

Old 04-27-2005, 06:36 AM   #4
(male)

frank0678 HB User

I have had three ESI's over the past couple of years. Twice I had headaches that were severe the day after and gradually improved in subsequent days. Both times they were gone in 3 days, so mine might not have been spinal headaches.

Good luck.

Frank

Old 04-27-2005, 09:14 AM   #5
(male)

et318 HB User

My first question is....
Is the headache worse when you stand up and relieved when you lay flat on your back? If this is the case, then you need to follow up with your m.d. about a possible CSF leak/spinal headache. This is the first and most prominent sign.

If not, then these other types of headaches following injection can be pretty normal. Often times they are the result of the tension/nervousness prior to the injection. They resolve in a few days, but if it persists longer than that let your md know.

Old 04-27-2005, 04:11 PM   #6
(female)

girl12345 HB User

I went to the doctors and the headaches are from the injections. I am going in on Friday for a blood patch. He wanted me to go tommorrow, but I it is my last day of classes and can't miss. I can't believe that it is only a 3% chance of this happening and it had to happen to me. I have been through enough. Wish me luck on Friday!

Has anyone ever had a blood patch?

Old 04-27-2005, 05:16 PM   #7
(male)

et318 HB User

the blood patch is no big deal when you consider what you are dealing with in the headaches. They are going to draw some blood from your arm. If they are compassionate, they will do it from the site where they start your IV.

Then they repeat the epidural procedure and instead of injecting local anesthetic and corticosteroid they inject the blood. This creates the patch and 99% of the time the relief is immediate. You will need to lay on your back for awhile but improvement in headaches is almost guaranteed.

Good Luck

Old 04-27-2005, 05:39 PM   #8
(female)

NewLeaf HB User

Yes, I got a spinal headache from my first ESI,, was worse than a migraine. I didn't know about the blood patch, I just know that she said that the worse side effect would be the spinal headache and that those were not commom!!! Any way I took pill after pill to try to get rid of the headache,,, nothing helped finally 3 days later it went away... the next ESI I had I told him about the headache and they gave me more specific instructions to call if I get one, to not let it go on for so long ,told me about the blood patch and that caffeine dialates the vessels in you head to help with the pain... they are such an unrelenting thing. And I too seem to be the one that always gets the worse complication... seems like it goes searching for me to torment.. Hope you get some help for yours soon. Leaf

Old 04-27-2005, 06:48 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

EmtShirl HB User
Wink Re: Help! ESI injections and headaches!

Girl ~

Yes, I have! If you go back and read the posts on the first page of your thread here you will see I had said I did and talked a bit about the blood patch. I am so surprised you can make it to class?? When I had mine I couldn't even open my eyes and had a very hard time sitting and getting to the hospital for the blood patch. I hope it works for you as it did for me.

EmtShirl

1980- Transaxillary resection of 1st rib and division of band (left side)
1982- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
1985- Transaxillary excision of cervical rib (right side)
1991- Laser stapedectomy (right side)
1992- Fractional D&C
1992- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
1996- Lumbar hemilaminectomy
1999- Left knee arthoscopic surgery
2001- Laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy
2002- L5-S1 Microdiscectomy
2002- L4-L5, L5-S1 Anterior inter-body lumbar fusion with cages and my own bone from left hip for bone graft
2002- Neck problems Surgery??????
2002 DEC 21- C4-5, C5-C6 Anterior Cervical Corpectomy with Fusion and Internal Fixation (Bone from the bone bank)

Old 04-27-2005, 09:30 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I hope the blood patch works for you quickly and your headache is gone. I must be really fortunate because I've had a couple dozen esi's and never had a headache.

Closed Thread