It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2005, 05:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User
Unhappy Physical Therapy Questions

Hi Everyone.
First I'd like to say that everyone here seems really great about helping each other out and I am glad I found this site. I have some quesions on phyical therapy. I started PT on 4/08, twice a week, for scoliosis and a rotation in my ribs, where they connect to the spine. But my question, since I've never had PT before is, can it really help relieve any of the pain? Hasn't changed one bit since I started, even though I do all the stretches they gave me, even when they seem to make the pain worse, or even cause pain where it didn't hurt before. IS THIS NORMAL? Pain before it gets better? Seems like they're trying to get my curvy (low back & neck) and my extremely straight(thoracic) back to do things it's never done before and can't possible do. [B]IS [/B] [B]PT A WASTE OF TIME, OR WILL IT EVER GET BETTER???[/B] ANY thoughts at all would help a lot. I guess I am being impatient, but it's been constant pain for ages. Thanks, all.

Old 04-26-2005, 05:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User
Re: Physical Therapy Questions

You should tell your therapist that you're having pain. Every time I went to pt they wanted me to stop immediately if I had worse pain. Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2005, 05:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for replying. I did tell them, but they tell me my posture is bad and I have to stand straighter, and the "hunching" over is making the ribs "rotate". So, it's kind of a vicious cycle, I hunch forward because the ribs hurt..and it feels better that way.
Scoliosis causes the spine to be the shape it is. They seem to make me want to change that, and create some kind of arch where there isn't one. I've been hospitalized with low back problems and that is the kind of thing that makes the lower back spasm. I seem to be stuck in a quandry here. I guess I had hoped PT would have a solution, and I could get some relief by now. Thank you for advice.

Old 04-26-2005, 05:36 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

I am sorry for your pain! The only other think that I can suggest is to find a new Dr who is willing to listen to you!
Good Luck!!
~M~

Old 04-26-2005, 06:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks again, M., guess I was thinking the same thing. Have a nice night.

Old 04-26-2005, 07:13 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

Keep us posted!! I wish you luck!! ~M~

Old 04-27-2005, 05:19 AM   #7
(male)

jaydar HB User

My experience with physical therapy is it made things worse.I started with hydro therapy and for some reason it was much more painful to walk afterward.So I was sent to PT with basic stretches,cycle,heat and E stim.I was not getting relief so my therapist wanted to evaluate.Knowing I was having a difficult time walking he wanted me to step over a series of plastic cones.On the first one my back zinged me while I was on one foot.I wobbled and fell to the side,and I am sure that action alone did further damage.

Old 04-27-2005, 09:43 AM   #8
(male)

victorsch HB User

I agree with mlachowicz...

If you are at about a month of PT with absolutely NO change or a worsening of your symptoms, then I would start searching elsewhere if they are not willing to listen to your concerns.

Sometimes, however, it takes a good 4 weeks for you to start to come around. It really depends on the extent of your condition. Follow your heart, and then you'll never be disappointed with what you choose!

-V

Old 04-27-2005, 09:50 AM   #9
(male)

et318 HB User

Hellasrules,

Sorry to hear about your scoliosis. Just to get it out of the way right off the bat. Treatment of scoliosis and kyphosis is going to initially involve some discomfort. The focus of treating these conditions is postural training. This involves breaking bad postural habits and retraining muscle groups. It will certainly create a soreness due to the new use or changes in use of certain muscles.

Your therapist is trying to use various muscle groups to counter the rotation of your spine. This takes awhile but in the long run can be very beneficial for you. Just keep in the back of your mind that untreated scoliosis will often advance. When it does it speeds up spinal degeneration and can lead to other problems. Severe scoliosis or kyphosis can often lead to extensive fusion surgeries.

Old 04-27-2005, 09:55 AM   #10
(male)

et318 HB User

FWIW, Chiropractors are often given a bad rap by people in general. However, there are some great ones out there that have real expertise in
treating scoliosis and kyphosis from the therapy end. Oftentimes, the chiropractor is more well versed in ongoing treatment while physical therapists deal with patients in their initial physical therapy before more intensive treatment or for post surgical rehabilitation. You may want to consider interviewing a couple of DC's to find one who can provide you patient references on successful outcomes with scoliosis patients.

Old 04-27-2005, 04:09 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi everyone, and thanks for all the advice. This is my first experience w/PT and really not sure of what to expect. I will give it some more time with the PT...it probably is a bit early to expect miracles. 50 yrs of slouching and 27 yrs on computer work can probably do a real number on posture. Guess my body finally had enough. And I did tell myself this was the year to get healthier! Guess I'm getting forced into it. And actually, my ribs didn't hurt quite so bad today...so maybe it's worth sticking it out. God bless you all and pray you all will find answers and help, too. You're all terrific!

Closed Thread