It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2005, 10:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
need your thoughts please

got a few things to talk about.
ONE- you all know I had a two level lumbar fusion in December, went through the front and the back. Well, my incision is okay, a little sore at times, but mostly numb, no probs there. I am very sore right under my belly button not very close to my scar, which hasn't always hurt. Seems to hurt more when I am up at work and wearing my brace(which my dr STILL HAS NOT called me and I am going on two weeks til five months in the darn thing). I get to work, I get nauseated, my pain levels rise, I get a fever (even after I have taken percocet within two hours) and I get headaches. well, Friday it was kinda worse, and I left work to go to the mediquick clinic, and when I got there my temp went up another degree and was 100.6. (remember when I was in the hospital, my temp would go up when my pain went up). Well, after a UA, and visit with the clinic dr, she decided it was only scar tissue and maybe a cold comin' on.Well, I KNEW it was not a cold, I know how those feel, and still today a week after this started, I still run a low grade fever, get nauseated, pain levels increase and I get headaches. I have no idea what is going on. I am very leary about going to another dr though. I am getting an idea it is just my pain getting bad b/c I am up for ten hours at work. SO, another thing...
My neck. The pain is still bad enough to sometimes interfere with work. fWhich means, if I go to school in the fall, eight hours a day, that the pain will get in the way of my concentration. I am wondering now if I need to see a neuro for my neck. I wonder if I should look into a discogram for that. I just don't know. From what I have read here and other sites, it is a pretty easy surgery too-outpatient (maybe) and possibly back to work in a week. I just am scared if I don't do this, I won't be able to finish school. I just don't know!! I know I have a SMALL herniation, loss of lordosis. and spondy, which is a fancy word for a degenerating c-spine. I have a ortho now, but he doesn't seem to want to really take the time to help, heck, he didn't even go over my last mri with me, didn't even bring it into the room ( I cheated later though, got the report).
Anyway, I will write more later. Just wanted to throw this out and see if I could get any responses. Thanks a bunch!
Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2005, 11:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: need your thoughts please

Hi,
I'm not sure about your fever and nausea --maybe it is due to high pain levels. I haven't had back surgery yet - is it a side effect of it all? I hope you can get it resolved quickly. You didn't cheat getting your MRI report. You were getting informed about your condition which the doctor should have discussed in detail with you. Sometimes I guess patients just have to insist the doctor talk with them.

Old 04-27-2005, 06:17 AM   #3
(male)

bback HB User

Just wanted to let you know Mel that you are having some of the same symptoms im having. Towards the end of a higher than normal pain day, I get horrible headaches where I just have to lay in bed and zone out for a while. I too have nausea and low grade fevers almost daily. I think its due to the meds but my wife seems to think its from elevated pain levels. Hopefully my 2 level fusion in 2 weeks will take care a lot of my problems. I see where you had your fusion in Dec. 5 months is still pretty early for what you had done. After my first single level fusion, I was off 6 months and only went back to work part time, and I pleaded with my neuro to let me go back sooned but he said no way. So hang in there and take it EASY!

Old 04-27-2005, 07:43 AM   #4
(female)

Tirzah HB User

Hi Mel,
I was thinking about you yesterday because I hadn't seen you around lately. I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems. Have you seen Dr. Miles again yet?
Tirzah

Old 04-27-2005, 09:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

Thanks everyone. I am sure it is elevated pain, and it happens at work when I CAN'T lie down and rest. My dr said I could go back as long as I didn't lift over ten pounds and so forth, and went back to work just under four months. the nausea could be from needing to have a snack, I am working on that one.
Tirzah, I had seen him for my neck, but not my back. I am not sure if I will see him again or not. He was the one who wouldn't bring the MRI in the room to go over it with me. That kinda irritated me a bit. I am thinking about a Pain Management DR or a neuro. I do need to see Miles though for his input on the situation though I guess, since I went to him in the first place. I kinda want to wait a bit more.
GET THIS: I just found out though that for SOME ODD REASON my group plan at work for insurace has a ONE YEAR wait for pre-existing conditions!! I am so upset, so worried. and don't know what to dO! I have never heard of PPOs and work insurance company's doing this, EVER! I don't know what to do. We are waiting on my credible coverage cert from the previous ins company, but I have no idea what will happen if I can't get this cervical stuff taken care of, I have to start school in August and it goes for a straight year. I won't get the discogram or surgery if I need it!! I don't think I could sit through eight hours of class!
Oh, it is just one thing after a 'nother.
Thanks for all the help though, I appreciate it.

Old 04-27-2005, 09:56 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

Hey Mel... Just wanted to say Hi to my "surgery sister" since we had our fusions the same week. How very sucky we are still having problems
Hope you get some good news for a change.

XOXOXOXO
-Michelle

Last edited by StMishl; 04-27-2005 at 09:57 AM.

Old 04-27-2005, 10:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

thanks SIS I did finally get some good news. After being rather abrupt yesterday with my surgeon's surgery gal (who I really like btw), He finally looked at my films and said the brace can come off for GOOD!!!!! I can gradually return to normal activities!! YAY! AND, I can VACCUUM!!!!! ( only I do it the best )
So, now I gotta get the rest figured out. Good things do happen, even if it takes forever!

Old 04-27-2005, 08:34 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Mel,
I am so sorry to hear about your pain, fever and nausa. I don't know anything about the Cervical spine, But you are in my Prayers. It's GREAT news to finally get rid of your brace! Now maybe your back muscles will strengthen and hopefully you'll be feeling a bit better soon.
Stardust

Old 04-27-2005, 10:04 PM   #9
(female)

PeachJam HB User

Hey Mel,

I am really sorry to hear about your troubles. I thought I would share what I have been told regarding the fever and nausea. As long as the fever does not go over 101 you should not worry, I have been told that my flucutation (sp) is part of healing, you know the reason you get a fever when you are sick, all the cells moving around, making energy, etc. Well that applies when your body is trying to heal itself. As far as the nausea have you thought about the pain meds as a cause? When you are on too much (same as when you cut down on meds) you can get sick, there are also a lot of people who start to have central nausea from the meds after a while. THey are not really sury why, whether it is that they are agravating are bellies or causing a chemical imbalance in the brain. Try taking non-drowsy motion sickness pills, they truly work wonders.

As far as the insurance, contact your states insurance commision. There are a lot of laws now regarding preexisting conds. Check with them reagarding recourse, etc. YOu would be surprised what you can do when you contact them, they can be miracle workers.

Again, good luck! We are all here for you!

Old 04-28-2005, 10:00 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

oh, guess what??? I got a UTI today!!!!!!!! DUH, must have been brewin' for a few weeks. I had the fevers but my UA came back negative. It really sucks. I see a NP tomorrow morning and will get on Macrobids I am sure. Got a Pyridium at work today to ease the irritation. I peed orangy-red but the irritation subsided immediately.
I feel better all around, but still have some pain that still isn't stopped by Motrin, Aleve or Percs. I think I may get a PM doc and go from there. I will always have some chronic pain, so I need to deal with that anyway.
Thanks for the encouragement, and so forth. I didn't get sick everytime I took the percs though, only when I was at work and hurting, so I was pretty sure that it wasn't what caused me to get nauseated. But, like I said, feeling better now.
Will keep you all updated and thanks again!

Old 04-28-2005, 11:29 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

Haw'nCarl HB User

Aloha Mel,

I think youíre on the right track to see a PM. Maybe itís time to try some long acting meds (Oxycontin or Avinza) for a short while to try and get your pain under control, they really worked well for me. Itís a rough first week or so but after your body gets acclimated to the meds they are long acting and should help you get through your day better than percodan ( and I would stay away from the Naproxin, that stuff is not good for you).

I am sad to come back here and hear that you are still having so many problems. I hope school is going well for you, finals are next week for me I am really starting to have anxiety overload. I wish you well. By the way, the percs had the same effect on me, headaches, nausea, and your bodies built in protection, the ole fever. When we changed to the Oxy, I felt much better and the pain was kept At bay quite well too. After six months of the Oxy, I was put on Avinza, a 24 hour long acting Morphine sulphate (Oxy is only 12 hours).
Good Luck and God Bless.

HíC

Old 04-29-2005, 10:59 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

thank you carl-glad you stopped in! I haven't started school yet, but I am worried about it. i will be in class for eight hours, 7am to 4pm and sitting upright for long periods of time are HARD and PAINFUL. I didn't want to be on any pain meds while in school, but I wonder if I even have an option? My middle upper back and neck are so tight, and burn so much right now. I need to be submerged in a tank of hot water and rubbed for like a year! Who knows. I was really busy at work and kept forgetting to take my percs and didn't get one til after nine, NOT GOOD. I manage though. I know my tolerance is def building. (pain tolerance that is). I think we only have one pm doc here though, not sure, need to do some research.
I'll keep ya updated on whatever happens.
Luv, Mel

Old 04-29-2005, 11:36 PM   #13
(female)

PeachJam HB User

Mel,

Sorry to hear of the UTI, when it rains it pours. Make sure you do the cranberry juice, it is awesome!!

I would definetly get a good PM but be careful avoid oxy and the like for as long as possible. If you have to take them for relief the benfits outweigh the risks however try everything else first. Its like smoking, it is better if you never started.

What are you going to school for? That seems like a long time in class. You might contact your school and get a special needs waiver. I had one when I was in school that let me get up and move around in the back of class and such without penalties. I didn't have to go to each prof and explain either just went to the universities office filled some paperwork out got a note from dr and on my way I went!

Good luck with everything, and try not to stress too much!

Peach

Old 04-30-2005, 12:03 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I am going to go to the disability office and sign up. One so that I can get up and move around, and two to get an "excuse" that I don't have to do the lifting in clinicals (LPN). SO, I just gotta be able to sit up for the whole day, then possibly work (hubby says I have to work part time!!! ) School is from M-TH.
My dr gave me bactrum-my urine was "LOADED" with bacteria, some red and some white cells. I feel better today. Got up early for the first time too!
Thanks for the advice-trying to stay calm at all costs!

Old 04-30-2005, 01:35 PM   #15
(female)

PeachJam HB User

I think it is awesome that you are still planning to go to school. I can't seem to make any long term plans, hopefully I will feel as good as you do soon!

The positive about LPN is once you get done with school there are a lot of options other than a hospital setting where you work 12 hr shifts, I bet you will find something that you will love and your back won't hate!

Good luck and keep us updated!

Closed Thread