It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2005, 06:47 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User
More Surgery!!

[B]OK, I've had ENOUGH ![/B],
My Surgeon called this morning and woke me up (he was supposed to call early yesterday afternoon!), he said he would of called last night but thought 9:30 was too late to call [B]FOR WHO?[/B] I climb out of bed & grab the phone just before it stopped ringing. He said HI, This is Dr. H*****K, Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday.
I went over your CT results again and I [B]REALLY HATE [/B] to do this to you, but it seems you have scar tissue built up over the Nerves and also the Hardware has slipped, so I really need to go back in and fix it . I will call you later this afternoon with the details.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. "DEEP BREATH"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
[B]Time to get out the walker and brace cause here I go again,[/B]I Thank God for my Surgeon not wanting to wait for this to get worse. But my brain is on overload right now- see, let me show ya= &$(%*@^#&@!
[COLOR=RoyalBlue][B]I THANK GOD FOR YOU GUYS!![/B][/COLOR]
StarDust

Old 04-27-2005, 06:56 AM   #2
(female)

chitowngl HB User
Re: More Surgery!!

stardust--
So sorry to hear that. sometimes life just isn't fair. I wish you well and hopefully this will be the end of it!! Good luck.
Carrie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2005, 07:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

I trust my Surgeon completely, He got all his info from the CT Scan alone, he's great.
StarDust

Old 04-27-2005, 07:45 AM   #4
(female)

kittencaboodle HB User

Hi Stardust......

I don't post that often (usually read for info), but your posts/threads have just recently caught my eye. I am in the process of juggling in either hand....surgery or no surgery. And with all that you have been going through after your setback, I am leaning more towards the 'no surgery' side.

I am sorry you will have to endure another surgery. Hopefully, this will be the one that solves all your problems. One can only hope. We have similar back problems, I think. And following your posts have been very informative.

I am glad that your dr finally took you seriously about your pain and how "something is wrong" back there. I have seen/read where too many dr's don't listen to their patients and it is the patient who ultimately suffers from the dr's arrogance. I can only hope I come to the right decision about where/when to draw the line on how much more I am willing to have done to my lumbar region. Do you ever get the feeling that you are a 'guinea pig' for the medical profession and that some of them don't really know what they should do?

Anyway, good luck on your future surgery and/or other modalities of treatment that your dr imposes on your back.

Take care and look forward to reading more of your posts.......
~~~Kitt

Old 04-27-2005, 08:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

Stardust -

I recently had a second lumbar herniation below the level that was fixed a few years ago. Since my first NS had retired from surgery, my current NS made a point of cutting on the same incision in my back so I didn't have 2 scars or places healed or healing. Might want to ask your surgeon if he can do that.

whackedback

Old 04-27-2005, 08:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Kitt,
If I had to do it all over again, I would do it in a heartbeat! I don't think it was anything the Surgeon did. My Surgery was a 1 level fusion, with hardware and BMP, I was the first one off the Brace.
However I am a very Hyper person and this is very possiby something I did to myself. I have been doing more than I was suppose too. Now I will know better.
I do not regret my Fusion one tiny bit. I can actually pick up my Grandbabies now and that's a wonderful feeling to have my life back.
When I went into surgery, My Surgeon made a joke and said "Any last requests?" And I said, ya. It's the only back I have so take good care of it.
He Did.
I wouldn't go back to the way I was before surgery if I was paid too. THAT'S how good I felt, and still not in total agony, but it has to be repaired and he doesn't waste any time, which is a good thing, Nerves can cause a big problem later on.
So he is right on top of this.
What do you need done?
StarDust

Old 04-27-2005, 08:56 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 07:35 PM.

Old 04-27-2005, 08:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

WhackedBack,
Yes, he is going through the same incisions, and I asked him to just "Dump" a bottle of adhesion gel in there this time, he said, OK, no problem, whatever I wanted.
Star

Old 04-27-2005, 09:38 AM   #9
(male)

et318 HB User

Stardust,

The scar tissue comment is concerning and should not be overlooked. A shift of your hardware may seem dominating but don't overlook scar tissue.

Is his plan to clear out the scar tissue? You may want to ask him if that is the case. Just be forwarned that scar tissue formation is a response to tissue trauma (surgery). Debridement of scar tissue often begets more scar tissue...sometimes more?

Scar tissue in spinal surgery can lead to epidural fibrosis and increasing pain. Treatments include epidural lysis, neuropathic pain medications and/or spinal cord stimulation. Just make sure he is clear on his plans and predictions with the scar tissue.

Good Luck

Old 04-27-2005, 10:45 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Yes, he is going to clear out the scar tissue, realign the hardware, and I asked him to "Dump" a bottle of the adhesion gel in there and he said, Ok, not a problem.
I wonder how they redo the hardware? Do they break the first Fusion and redo it that way?
Am I in for more pain than the first surgery?
Also, as soon as I hear from him I will let you know. I will probably hear from his nurse first to get the Pre-op testing done, since his surgeries are on Monday's and Wednesdays. He'll need everything done ASAP.
Then I will probably go in to see him or he will see me at the Hospital.
Stardust

Old 04-27-2005, 11:00 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 07:36 PM.

Old 04-27-2005, 11:04 AM   #12
(female)

tammys HB User

Star,
I really am sorry that your going to have to have another surgery. Look on the bright side of things though. Maybe this will be THE ONE that makes the pain go away. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. I wish you all the luck in the world. Keep us posted on how things are going. I am not here as often as I used to be, but hopefully I'll be around more soon. (Just let the neurontin stop making me feel like a zombie). I'll keep checking to see how things are going for you though.
(((((Star)))))))

Good Luck!!!! Keep Smiling!!!
Tammy

Old 04-27-2005, 12:36 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

The Surgeon just called, he said he's been trying to figure out a way to help without putting me through another Surgery.
But as he looked at all my Xrays and CT Scans he noticed the hardware has been moving backwards since the surgery.
So this is what he is going to do:
He will be using the same hardware and just re-adjust it and tighten it down more. There shouldn't be as much pain as the first time, he is only opening up the left side scar (it's 2-3 inches), then removing all the scar tissue, then working on the hardware & screws.
He wants to try for Wedneday unless someone cancels Tuesday, but more than likely it will be Wednesday, it's a 2 hour procedure and 2 days in the Hospital.
He will be using the Scar Tissue Gel.
I forgot to ask him if I will need the Brace or walker again. But I don't think so.
StarDust

Old 04-27-2005, 02:28 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi there
Wow at least you know where your pain is from and You can get this taken care of. You will be in my prayers each day Keep me posted.
shelley

Old 04-27-2005, 03:10 PM   #15
(male)

tracer HB User

i am glad you found the trouble.i am sry it means a trip to the hospital.i will be keping u in mt thoughts.

Closed Thread