It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2005, 08:56 PM   #1
(female)

alabamamom HB User
Question Looking for some info Can you help?

I just got diagnosed with having posterior bulge in my lower back. I had my MRI today and lucky me I got to speak to the nurse to find out my results. Her response did not help me understand how serious this may be. My doctor referred me for physical therapy and prescribed muscle relaxers, pain meds. My back pain is not the result of a sudden accident, it is the result of years of lifting my daughter who has cerbrel palsy. Can anyone help me to understand what's going on? This is my first MRI and I have no clue what I am in for or should be asking.
Thanks for the input!!!!

Old 04-27-2005, 09:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User
Re: Looking for some info Can you help?

Hi And Welcome!
The course of procedures sounds about right. They usually try you on Physical Therapy, pain meds and muscle relaxers, also they might try Epidural Steriod injections, a Diskogram, etc.
They want to reserve surgery as a last option.
Sometimes a Bulge will get better with rest and not lifting anything over 8 pounds (a gallon of milk) for a bit. getting lots of rest etc.
Is this an everyday thing, or does it come and go?
What are your symptoms? Leg pain, foot pain, anything you can tell us will be helpful.
I stayed with the Physical Therapy, pain meds, Muscle relaxers and Epidural Steriod injections for 1 1/2 years before finally realizing things were getting worse and found a good surgeon.
But you need to find one who you really trust your spine with! I can't explain it, but when I am either in surgery or in my Surgeons office, I trust him completely, I don't have to wonder about a second opinion when he asks me something, cause I've already done MY research and when he talks about it, I know we are on the same level.
If I had ANY doubts, I would be gone.
StarDust

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2005, 02:56 PM   #3
(female)

alabamamom HB User
Arrow Re: Looking for some info Can you help?

Thanks for helping me figure this all out. FIrst of all this has been occurring for near 5-7 years, mainly slight muscle spasms with a sharp pain in my lower back. It would usually go away if I stretched out a bit and rested. In the last year, I have started noticing that at night my left leg would tingle and feel really cold while lieing in bed. This last episode was a bit different. On Thursday I awoke with the outside of my left leg tingling past my knee. It took more than 24 hours to go away. Then on Saturday, I stepped around a chair and WHAM my back caught. I tried the usual stand by- stretching out a bit -but it only got worse as the day went on. By Sunday it was so awful that you could touch a certain spot in my back and my feet went out from under me. Of course on Monday, Iseen the doctor and thats where I am now.

I might add that I gave birth to twins, one of which has Cerebral palsy, 10 years ago. I am not one to take medication because I am super sensitive to most pain killers so these pills make me feel loopy. My main concern is that I have no clue what I am up against, what to be asking, and what I should be doing. It seems to be getting better with all the bed/recliner rest I have been given but the minute I try to do something I feel that nagging twinge. Maybe its just paranoia but I make a beeline for the recliner. Any thoughts on what I should be asking or expecting? Thanks again for all the input.

Old 04-28-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Everything you mentioned has been here on this board. My back would "Go Out" for 4 days at a time. The muscle spasms were to protect the spine, but mine made it worse. I go back into Surgery on Wednesday for slipped hardware and scar tissue, and my symptoms are the same as yours.
If fact, if I didn't look at your name twice I would of thought I wrote it.
The tingling and back pain, cold legs, spasms, ect.
I would have to ask you what type of Doc are you seeing Monday?
Your definatly going to need help with your 10 year old (talk to the SS office about her age and weight now she is older). A friend of mine has a 16 yr old daughter with Cerabral Palsy as well. Carrying them from the wheelchair to bed, baths etc. can do a number on your back.
If I were you, I would bypass a regular Doc, save my money and see a Neurologist who specializes in the spine. It's possible your disk is pressing on the nerve, and you don't want to leave it like that for too long.
StarDust
(Tingling, don't ya just love that word , it's sound so simple, but hurts like H*** )
Who ever thought of that word anyway? I would of named it VOLTAGE

Old 04-29-2005, 05:02 PM   #5
(female)

alabamamom HB User

Stardust.. you are an angle. You would never know how scared I am. I am not one to treck off to doctors much, having to go to them so often with my daughter. Just to hear someone understands where I am and can still make me laugh is a true blessing. The ony doctor I have seen was my family doctor and that was on Monday. He sent me for an MRI Tuesday, in which I was told the part of bulging disks, what ever they are. He still has not told me what disks are bulging, just posterior bulging disks in the lower back.Well DUHHHHH I knew that much several $$$$$ ago lol. He then referred me to physical therapy. I start that this comming Tuesday. The therapist wants to use water therapy on me... whatever that is.. sounds like a glorified bath. The thing that gets me is I get up feeling better in the morning but by afternoon the aches and tingles come back. TIngles.. I agree it sounds like a pleasant expirence with pixie dust , my guess is its the pixie from H***. Voltage works for me. Ok time to start a new dictionary of definaition for back pain sufferers lol Thanks again Stardust,,,, best wishes and prayers for your upcomming sugery. Let me know how it goes.

Old 04-29-2005, 07:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Alabamamom,
Thank You, You took my mind off my Surgery and made me laugh as well (pixie from H***).
As for the water therapy. Mine is a 4'2" pool, set at 98 degree's, with jets like a big hot tub, feels hot, but actually is body temp, so the excersizes do not strain your back as much.
Def, look into a Nurse to come out a couple times a week from SS to help you out. You don't want to end up with Surgery and not being there for her at all, then they would STILL send someone to help care for her, so I would Def try to get some help now and give your back a bit of a break.
I'll keep posting up until Surgery, then after that, I have a laptop for the bedroom.
Stardust

Old 05-12-2005, 05:11 AM   #7
(female)

alabamamom HB User
Question Re: Looking for some info Can you help?

Well I have started therapy and its nothing like what they said. THey use ultraviolet heat and shock stimuli...talk about nuts, I was think water therapy!!
THe bad thing is I always feel worse after therapy than when I went in. It usually takes 2 days to feel a little better but guess what by then its time for Anyone know if this is normal? I swear I am ready to quit therapy!!!!!

Old 05-12-2005, 07:39 AM   #8
(male)

TINCAN HB User

Hello
Welcome to the board! There is a bunch of good people here. People you can laugh with and cry with and people who you can vent your frustrations to.(and we all need to do that every once in a while) My wife has 2 buldging disks at L4 and L5. She did physical therapy and pain meds and muscle relaxers and it got her to the point where she could move again. But she has to be careful not to overdo because her back will go out again. It sounds like you already have a full plate going on in your life right now. I agree with the rest of the people on this board SURGERY IS AND SHOULD BE YOUR LAST OPTION! I have had 3 back surgeries first was a laminectomy at L5-S1 2nd was a diskectomy at L5-S1 since it ruptured out again and the 3rd was a fusion with hardware at L5-S1. I have some other problems going on with my back now and I see a pain management doc. The main thing to remember is to take very good care of your back because when your back hurts your whole body hurts. The other thing is to get some good doc's that understand your problem and really want to help you (remember the doc's work for you).
I just hope that everything turns out ok and you feel better! I hope you have a very blessed day! Remember we (the people on this board) are here for you!
TINCAN
LAMINECTOMY L5-S1
DISKTECTOMY L5-S1
FUSION L5-S1 WITH HARDWARE
BONE SPURS
MEGA SCAR TISSUE
DDD UP TO THORASIC AREA
STENOSIS
SPONDYLIOSIS
DISK BULGE L4-S1

Closed Thread