It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2005, 08:19 AM   #1
(female)

ali_moran HB User
Bikram Yoga helping back pain

I have had 3 back surgeries(I am 25) (last one was a fusion). I am 1 month shy of being a year post op and doc says i am fully fused. My problem is my muscles are so weak and my back is in terrible pain again. My doc said to try bikram yoga. I went for the 1st time on tuesday. I didn't push myself too hard but it was definitly a challenge for me. Other than being over 100 degrees in the room (on purpose) it was very fun and relaxing! Anyways, my back felt the best it has felt in a VERY long time. I am going to go again on Friday. I just wanted to let everyone in pain out there know that this seems to be working for me. I have tried so many things....acupunture, swimming, physical therapy, and bikram yoga is so far what has made me feel almost pain free!!! I am on cloud nine!! I can't remember the last time i had almost a whole day of no pain!

God Bless,

Alison
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
April 2005: Started Bikram Yoga for pain. Working wonderfully!!

April 2005: Fully fused!!! Having lots of muscle pain!! Trying swimming for pain. Making me feel much worse!!

January 2005: Pain is starting again.......damn!!!!!!!!!! Trying accupunture and physical therapy. So far not helping at all.

June 2004: Had fusion with rods and screws with bone graft.

May 2004....Found out that my cages are loose and I will need another surgery...I'm in horrible pain!! My body rejected BMP and will not be able to fuse itself!! Don't use BMP ever again!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ali_moran; 04-28-2005 at 08:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2005, 08:27 AM   #2
(female)

LMVLMV HB User
Re: Bikram Yoga helping back pain

Hi There. I agree that Yoga is excellent for post back surgery. I had a two level lumbar fusion 12/2003 and have been practicing Iyengar style yoga for the past 5 months. My core strength and flexibility has improved greatly! Plus all the other benefits like feeling less stressed and sleeping better and hardly ever have any bck pain are just a few.

I'm glad to hear that the Bikram yoga works for you. I hope to someday have a class nearer to where I live and give it try.

LMV

Old 04-28-2005, 08:08 PM   #3
(female)

PeachJam HB User

Yoga and pilates are on my list when I am allowed. Currently all I can do is walk in the pool. It is very embarassing, all the 60 and 70 year olds who are walking keep asking me what is wrong with me, I swear I am be lapped by these people. Ughh.. oh well one day!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on finding something that helps!

Peach

Old 04-30-2005, 12:17 PM   #4
(female)

cervey-Peg HB User

Peach Jam,

I am 67, and had l4 l5 fusion with hardware 3-9-05. I walk in the pool, and there are alot of younger ones there, back problems and fusions and walking in the pool, are for people of all ages, I was a little appauled at the Ughhhhhhhh,

Peggy

Last edited by cervey-Peg; 04-30-2005 at 12:21 PM.

Old 04-30-2005, 01:30 PM   #5
(female)

PeachJam HB User

terecia37,

I am sorry that you were appauled by the ughhhhh, I suppose there was something lost in translation. The pool that I walk in is generally occupied by people much older than I am. There is a program for senior wellnes at my fitness center and one of the group activites is walking the pool during they day.

What I meant is that it is very embarassing for me to be a very young looking 26, struggling to walk at a slow pace in the pool and have the senior wellness members not only lap me but constantly ask me what is wrong with me. The ughhh was a sign of disgust of my physical condtion. As I am unsure as to how you actually took it this is all that I can say. I keep reading my post and can't figure out how you took it other than that I am 26 on my 3rd back surgery, and I am being lapped by the senior wellnes group who keep asking me what is wrong with me.......

SORRY

Closed Thread