It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2005, 05:19 PM   #1
(female)

justjustine HB User
Exclamation Something for breakthrough pain

Hello again

I wrote a couple of days ago about epidural injections; asking if anyone had much experience with them. Thanks for your replys.

I was convinced that I had another herniated disc, but I have found out that the problem is scar tissue from my L5-S1 surgery site from 8 years ago. I am in so much pain, and my family dr. doesn't really know how to treat this. I went to my Orthopedic surgeon, and he didn't have much to say except to recommend these injections.

Today my family dr. has finally said that he will start the ball rolling on the epidural injections through a chronic pain management clinic. My problem is that this is not going to happen for at least a couple of months.

If I have to live with this pain till then I will go out of my mind. I am taking prednisone to try to get the inflammation down around the disc area. I also take Flexeril for muscle spasms and Percocet for pain. The pain killer I take: 2 tabs every 4 hours. This seems to be somewhat sufficient during the day but the nights are extremely bad. I have not had more than 2 hours sleep each night over the past 5 days.

I called my GP today to ask if I could take some Tylenol #2 for the breadthrough pain, but he was gone for the day. Has anyone every had to do this? I would really, really like to get a little bit of sleep, if not for my sake, then for my sons who have to put up with an irritable and completely immobile mum.

If someone could get back to me tonight that would be great. Maybe someone could suggest another type of med to ease the nerve pain and muscle spasms.

Justine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2005, 05:26 PM   #2
(female)

diva78 HB User
Re: Something for breakthrough pain

I am in the same boat as you and I have a fist time appt with a new PM doc next Tuesday. I am currently on lortab 10/325 and I've been on those for over 9 months so I have built up quite a tolerance as you could imagine. So I am now needing something else as well as something for my breakthrough pain. I am going to suggest to my new doc that I would like to try those duragesic patches ...I've heard some good things about them. And also try oxycontin for the breakthrough pain. I'm scared about the Oxy's because of the horror stories I've heard to get off of them .....but I'm willing to try just about anything right now because the pain is so intolerable...as I'm sure yours is as well. It isn't fair sometimes is it? I'll share my success with you if you share yours with mine, ok? It's so frustrating...but hopefully there is something out there that will work. Is there other surgical options out there for what you have ...the scar tissue? I have done all the injections and diagnostics tests there are....except the discogram which should be happening in the next week or two. I have a herniated disc at L3-L4 and it has a 4 ml tear thats leaking fluid onto my spinal cord! Pretty much either have to do pain management the rest of my life or have a discectomy to see if it would help...I'll know more after my discogram. I sure hope that you can get your pain under control and at least get a good nights sleep. I havne't slept well almost all week long and I have a little boy that would like to have his happy mommy back! Oh well....here's wishing the best for us all! Have a good night and I hope I was at least some help to you. God Bless!

Old 04-28-2005, 06:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

Justine, have you tried sleeping with a pillow between your legs? Or even 2 of them. That takes a lot of pressure off and can be a big help. As for the tylenol, well, that depends on what kind of pain med you are taking. If they have tylenol in them, then you probably shouldn't take more. You might try to see if your dr. will increase your pain med for nighttime, just for a while. If your pain meds don't have a lot of tylenol in them, then sure, take some more...or maybe advil or ibuprophin would be helpful.

Good luck...hope something helps and lets you get some rest.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 04-28-2005, 07:14 PM   #4
(female)

justjustine HB User

The medication that I am taking is the equivalent to Vicodin in the United States. And yes they are very, very addictive. I was having a problem with them when I was suffering from migraines. I would take them even if I didn't have a headache. I realized what I was doing and promptly told my Dr. about it. He was appreciative that I came clean with him. So when this back problem started, you can understand his hesitance in putting me on strong pain meds, but I have someone who monitors the Rx for me. Now that I am extreme pain the silly pills don't do a thing for me...go figure!!!! and I certainly don't crave them. I just wish they would stop the pain for more than 1 hour. So getting to the point, Tylenol is a different medication. It contains acetaminophen 325 mg/codeine 15 mg AND Percocet is oxycodone. Advil or ibuprofen make me nauseous and so does Toradol. When I went to the ER on Saturday they gave me a shot of morphine and a shot of Stemetil (antinausea) and I was still sick to my stomach.

The only position that I can be in right now is on my back with my legs over several pillows. I used to be able to get some relief when lying on my side but not this time.

Right now I am so scared that I will not be able to walk again. I haven't been up and about since Saturday. I move around a bit just to make sure I keep the circulation going but the moaning is not a pretty thing to listen to. My leg goes into a massive, massive spasm when I try to move around.

I have just finished 2 years of college in the Medical Office Administration field and was hired right out of my placement. I am supposed to start on May 9 (how this is going to happen I don't know; especially when just sitting on the toilet is a major event for me). Then, the back got totally screwed up and here I am typing out all of my grief............sorry to bend your ears for a bit

Keep me posted on your treatments and meds, etc. I will say a prayer for you.

Justine

Old 04-29-2005, 02:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Justine,
Sorry your in so much pain but glad you've found this board.

It's crazy that you have to wait so long to get in to see a PM doc, is this the only one available to you? If so you might want to call their ofc and have them place you on their cancellation list (if someone cancels they'll call and give you that appt) and perhaps you can get in sooner. Hopefully the prednisone will settle things down some and you'll need to try and take it easy til you can be seen. I know that's hard and very difficult given your children and the care you must give them

have you tried heat or ice at night time? I know most nights I can ONLY get things under control with one or the other, or both.

Diva,

Try not to worry too much about going on the oxy. If you can get the doc to let you try the Duragesic the Lortab should do good for you as a BT med

Huggles,
Bionic

Closed Thread