It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2005, 07:05 PM   #1

debbie1 HB User
exercising after back surgery

I had adiscectomy in october 2004... has anyone had problems exercising, stretching, or that sort of thing at all?

I get some twitching in my right side of my back/hip/lkeg once in awhile..and have also been diagnosed with knee campaign (sp?). I have a better time sitting that i do standing...i recently tried a job at a hotel that requires standing and my feet went from hurting, to burning, to almost numb from 5 hours of standing, plus my back was out for 4 days.

I want to get more fit, but what is the best way to do this? I have tried walking on a treadmill for 15 minutes a day, 3 days in a row (2.5mph) and my back was thrown out for 2 days.

I just dont know what to do anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any advice?

Old 04-28-2005, 07:35 PM   #2

vickic HB User
Re: exercising after back surgery

Have you considered physical therapy? I had a microdiscectomy at the end of September, and I just finished my third round of physical therapy. Prior to pt, I would get so sore and stiff after walking 10 minutes and now I can walk for at least 45 minutes. For me, the stretching that my pt did with me is what helped most I believe. If you are having trouble exercising, I would ask your doctor for a script for physical therapy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2005, 07:42 PM   #3
(female)

PeachJam HB User

You might look into water thearpy, with knee problems it might be a good option. Also a lot of people have had success with pilates and yoga.

What has your dr suggested?

Old 04-28-2005, 10:16 PM   #4

debbie1 HB User

my doctor ordered physical therapy for my back and my right knee.
He told me not to do the water aerobics for acouple weeks to let my knee heal a bit, as it some of the moves in the water were aggravating it.

I guess pt is the way to go...

thanks

Old 04-28-2005, 11:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User
Smile Re: exercising after back surgery

IA with the other posters regarding checking into Physical Therapy and water therapy is great, too. Also, I have found that just taking a one mile walk five days a week has been very beneficial and helpful. I also have stretches my PT has given me to do that have been helpful. I have found treadmills to be harder on my back and prefer just taking walks. Just keep listening to your body/back and rest when you need to! Try not to push it!!

Old 04-29-2005, 01:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Deb,

plain walking would be much better (and easier on you) than a treadmill. Some Dr's tell you NOT to do the tradmill as it's not like walking naturally and places to much stress on things.

Old 04-29-2005, 05:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

I go in the therapy pool at the Y and just ad lib.

Last edited by flyonthewall; 04-29-2005 at 05:52 AM.

Old 05-05-2005, 09:59 PM   #8
(female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User

You posted a good question.

At 10 mons post op, I walk 1-2 miles a day 7 days a week, only 1 mile if I'm hurting or foot is weak. I have to walk twice a day one mile at a time due to my foot.

PT helps. But just water walking at the pool and stretching in the water helps the most. Swimming is supposed to be good.

I'd like to add more to my routine, as walking is hard for me with a weak foot, and try weights or pilates, but I'm afraid of retearing the disk or pulling on the nerve.

I'm still afraid to bend at all, afraid to twist, still afraid to try new movements period. I've kept my spine straight so long, the mid back muscles are too tight. Do you have this too? I have to do arm exercises to stretch out that middle back.

Anyone else AFRAID to exercise?

Old 05-06-2005, 02:34 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

[QUOTE=ladybird988]
At 10 mons post op, I'm still afraid to bend at all, afraid to twist, still afraid to try new movements period. I've kept my spine straight so long, the mid back muscles are too tight. Do you have this too? I have to do arm exercises to stretch out that middle back. Anyone else AFRAID to exercise?[/QUOTE]

At six months, with my brace on, I was digging my car out after a snowstorm. I squatted and used a very small shovel. Have you been to PT and gotten any advice? Have you asked your surgeon?
fly

Closed Thread