It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2005, 07:41 PM   #1
(female)

star77 HB User
Maybe a silly question but... enema???

Hello everyone,

1. I would like to know if microdiscectomy requires an enema before this surgery?

2. Here is my other question: I need to be in a hospital 3 hrs before my surgery is scheduled. Why do they need so much time?
I will have all the imaging tests with me, complete pre-op blood work done, etc, so why that early?

My pre-op conference with a neurosurgeon is in 5 wks and they will answer all my Qs, but I am just curious re: the above.

Thank you.
Nika

Old 04-28-2005, 07:51 PM   #2

vickic HB User
Re: Maybe a silly question but... enema???

I had a microdiscectomy and I did not have to have an enema (thank goodness!). You have to be at the hospital so early because they have to prepare you for surgery - hook up iv, check vitals, have a nurse examine you. I guess they just want to make sure that there is enough time and that you will be ready as soon as the doctor is. There will probably be other people at the hospital having surgery, so the nurses have to go back and forth between patients.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2005, 08:05 PM   #3
(female)

PeachJam HB User

You don't need to worry about a bowel prep for any surgery unless the are going into the abdomen near the bowels. However, they will ask you start stool softners leading up to surgery and ask that you make sure you "go" the day before. THis is due to the issues that you bowel will have after surgery. They take quite a bit of time to wake up after surgery so they want to make sure you are not constipated going in. I know it is hard but try not to focus on the bowel issues too much, believe me they are never as bad as they sound.

You have to arrive at the hospital that early for a lot of reasons. vickic was right about all the things that have to be done before hand but you would be really suprised how many people choose to come late to their own surgery. Anyway, the 2 hours sounds like a lot but once they get the iv in they will give you something and you won't even notice if you have to wait 6!

Good luck, don't worry too much (I know it is hard I am a certified worry wart!)

Peach

Old 04-28-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
(female)

star77 HB User

Thank you so much Vickic and Peach.
I do appreciate your help.
Thank goodness, no enema.

You can tell, this will be my first surgery at a hospital (except the two labors).
I thought they hook you up to IV as a last thing before the surgery, but from what I am reading here, it is the FIRST thing they do, right?

Thanks again.
Nika.

Old 04-29-2005, 06:05 AM   #5

vickic HB User

I remember being hooked up to something very early, but I am not sure if it was IV or not. It is all kind of a blur now.

Closed Thread