It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2005, 07:18 AM   #1
(female)

justjustine HB User
Angry Will any Dr. perform surgery on scar tissue?

Why is it that the concensus seems to be no surgery on scar tissue? I am in worst shape now than I was when the disc originally went out. I had the surgery 8 years ago, and I lived almost pain free for 6 years after. I would rather have surgery and deal with the risks of having more scar tissue. At least I might have a few more years of a somewhat normal existance. The attitude from the Dr.'s seems to be, "oh well, you will just have to live with it".

Old 04-29-2005, 09:27 AM   #2
(male)

et318 HB User
Re: Will any Dr. perform surgery on scar tissue?

Yes there are doctors who will perform surgery to remove scar tissue. However, it can be very hit and miss or could make the problem worse. Scar tissue begets more scar tissue is the standard phrase. The formation of scar tissue is typically due to trauma to tissues. Some people develop more than others. In some instances surgeons will go in to remove scar tissue only to have it form at twice the rate as previously.

There are some other alternatives for trying to reduce/eliminate scar tissue. PM docs have for years been doing injections involving epidural lysis. This involves injecting an enzyme like "Hyaluronidase" through an epidural injection. Wydase has had some studies that have touted it's potential benefits. I must admit though that much more study needs to be done. There are also other medications that are being used but again without much study at this point. I know some people who have had this procedure who have had wonderful results and others that it did not help.

It is another thing to consider.

Ed Tennant

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2005, 10:26 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 07:20 PM.

Old 04-29-2005, 02:04 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

As most any doctor will tell you, NO they will not operate to remove scar tissue, because, each time they go in and remove it, the more grows back, and faster.... My Pain Management Doctor told me that it take about 6-12 weeks after surgery for scar tissue to start to form, and when they operate to cut it out, more forms in its place and it does more harm then good to remove it, I know how your feeling, I have scar tissue as well I am dealing with that is causing me pain, but NO SURGERY to remove it....Take Care

TROSE

Closed Thread