It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2005, 08:16 AM   #1
(female)

suebeehoneytree HB User
6 Months After Accident- Having lots of Problems!!

I hope someone out there can help me and I'm sorry, this is going to be a long post. I was in a pretty bad accident in Oct. of 2004. I was a passenger in a mini-van, and the driver pulled out in front of a semi tractor trailer. The semi hit right at my door then we got pushed head on into a medal light pole head on. Thank goodness for my seat belt, otherwise I would not be here.

I don't remember much during the accident. The last thing I remember is seeing the semi grill coming right at me, so I ducked toward the driver. Amazingly, my only initial injuries were a big bruise on my right leg, a bruise on my left shoulder ( they figured that happened because I must have been pushed into the driver's bucked seat), cuts on my arms due to the glass, and severe neck pain (which didn't start until a day or so after the accident...guess that is common).

This is the confusing part - since I was on the job (business trip) I am dealing with workman's comp first, then the driver's auto insurance will reimburse worker's comp. Her auto insurance is involued because she is a volunteer board member of where I work, and the accident was her fault (she was ticketed for failure to yield right of way) This is important because of all the things I have been going through the last few weeks.

After the accident, my family doctor started me on muscle relaxers and PT. After a few weeks there wasn't much improvement, so I was referred to a neuospine dr. who did a MRI, which was fine, it was severe whiplash. He started me on a TENS unit (which didn't help). In Jan 2004 he sent me to a pain management doctor for trigger point injections, which started in Feb. I've had 2 sets of injections, first on the left, then on the right. The PM Dr. started my with PT who has dealt with people who have had my injections. I started feeling some improvement, but the pain is still here. I have taken so much ibuprofen, I probably won't have a stomach left after all this is done.

Now, about 3 weeks ago, I started experiencing numbness and tingling in my left pinky and ring finger. The PT gave me an exercise to help. Then last week it started in my right hand. So, I called my case manager (assigned by Worker's comp) and she told me to call my PM Dr. She wasn't in, so I called my neuospine dr. He talked with me over the phone and scheduled me for another MRI this week. My case manager through a fit. She said I had already had a MRI and she felt I should be evaluated first and have an EMG. My dr. fought with her, and said he wanted a MRI first because the EMG could show something like an entrapped ulnar nerve, but it could all be coming from the neck. Plus, he didn't feel a need to see me until after the MRI because he would order it first anyway. This all happened last Fri.

Mon. am, my case manager called me on the way to work ( I have a hour commute to work), she said she had a doctor at an Othopedic Clinic who would take time to see me. She said he was very good at diagnosing problems. So, I said alright. He checked me out, and said I had hyper reflexes, but I could have had that before. I've never been told that in the past. He then did a EMG, which he found an entrapped ulnar nerve in my left arm, but nothing in my right. He said this could no way be related to my accident. He set me up to come back in 2 weeks to see him and have consult with a surgeon for my ulnar nerve. My case worker said since this wasn't due to the accident, I have to pay for the ulnar nerve situation myself. I asked her about my other dr. and what I should do. She said I should just call and say I'm going to postpone my appointment for now and not give any details so there isn't any hard feelings.

That next morning, I was so frustrated because I felt like I was manipulated the day before. I called my neurospine dr's PA (he wasn't in yet) and told her of the events of the previous day. When I said the dr said my problems can't be caused by the accident, she told me that isn't true, it could be the cause. She said she would talk with dr. when he came in, and get back to me. My next call was from his administrater who said that since I had seen the other doctor the day before, my doctor will no longer see me. So, I called my case manager and through a fit!! She said it was her understanding that I wanted to switch doctors. After a long conversation, at which she was trying to convince me the new dr would be better because he took time out of his precious schedule to see me, I had no idea of what to do. I told her I would have to call her back. She called me back awhile later to tell me she had talked to my "new" doctor and her said there is no way the accident caused my latest sympthoms and that he could order a MRI, but he won't find anything! I told her that made up my mind, I wanted to see my original dr because this one has already made up his mind about me! She was speechless.

The next morning (Wed), the cm called me and said my original dr had filed a complaint against her, has refused to see me as long as I'm under WC, and my primary dr is now my pain management doctor. OMG, I wanted to cry. Doctors and their politics, and I'm the one who is suffering!

My cm, who I am now trying to get rid of, told me to keep my appiontment with my pm dr which was on Thurs (yesterday). At this appointment, I told my cm that I didn't want her in the appointment with me, this is my right.

Now, I am having aching in my legs, numbness in my feet, more pain down my arms, and my pinky and ring fingers are numb most of the time. Maybe all of that is do to the intense STRESS I've been under for the past week, I don't know. I told the whole story to my pm dr at the appointment and informed her of all my latest symptoms. She basically told me not to be so upset. There is lots of conditions that occur in people that have nothing to do with an accident they had. So I asked her if she had spoke with my CM before my appointment, she said no. I don't really believe her because when I got to my appointment, my CM was in the back offices. But the dr did order the MRI I was originally scheduled for that afternoon so WC would pay for it. She also said she would talk to neuospine dr to convince him to see me again. Plus, she told me probably shouldn't talk to a lot of people about all the dr politics I had been going through!

Well, I had the MRI and am waiting for the results. I don't trust any dr anymore, and I feel lost.

Questions-
Can these problems I'm having not be due to the accident? I have never anything like this before.
What can be possibly wrong?
Can these problems happen 6 months after an accident?

HELP! I need advise!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2005, 08:54 AM   #2
(female)

blossom64 HB User
Re: 6 Months After Accident- Having lots of Problems!!

Sue, sorry for all your troubles! I too was in a bad car wreck, actually 2 of them 18 yrs apart. All I can tell you is soft tissue damage happened to me not immediately after my first accident, but slowly to where I was having minor back pain, and escalated to a year and a half later to being so bad my sciatic nerve was almost severed. My doctor said soft tissue damage can keep progressing over years. I haven't had any experience with worker's comp, but hear alot of horror stories. God bless you, I hope you can get done what you need to.

I will pray for you, Blossom

Old 04-29-2005, 03:27 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

First off, your case manager is not your friend. Although they might act like they are, their sole purpose is to save money for WC. I would not have seen any doctor that a WC person referred me to.

Soft tissue damage is worse than bones. It takes awhile to sit in and way longer to heal. They can go in and fix bones and they heal in no time but ligaments and muscles take much longer to heal and are harder to diagnose. Give me a broken bone any day.

Are you documenting everything? Every conversation? Every visit? Gettting copies of all of your physican notes? Dot your i's and cross your T's cause it is going to be a long haul.

I am two years out from an accident and still have soft tissue damage.

take care,

Old 04-29-2005, 10:18 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 07:27 PM.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:06 PM   #5
(female)

PeachJam HB User

I am sorry to hear of your problems, my original injury was also caused by a car accident. The first thing that I woulf tell you is to get a copy of the picture of the car after the accident. Make copies of it and hang it around your daily area (away from children if there are any?) Everyday look at that picture and thank the powers that be that you are hear. Always remember that every life, no matter how much suffering is involved, is a gift. You were given the gift a second time.

I am sorry to have to suggest this but I would find an attorney. You should not have to try and deal with the legalites of these issues at this time. There is no way that anyone can conclusivly say whether your injuries were caused by the accident or not, all that can be said is that the accident was the factor that caused the injuries to start bothering you. Is that not crazy? Anyway that is what the WC and the drs will be arguing over for the seeable future. Get a lawyer, turn over all your medical records that you can get your hands on (go as far back as you can to prove that you have never been seen for any condition similiar to this) and then focus on getting better.

You will need someone to go to bat for YOU. The WC people are not going to do that and most drs will try for some time but simply can't maintain the fight. Dr's are overworked and overloaded now more than ever, few can afford to hire someone to deal with this issues for them so it becomes an issue of trying to help and many people as they can, unfourtnately fighting the WC battle with phone calls, faxes, special reports and eventually court is too time consuming not to mention the legal issues that they can be hit with.

I too must say that all drs are not bad. THere are some that are a disgrace to the profession, there are also a lot of people who say they are drs and turn out to be something other than an MD. I know that it sounds like the drs are trying to play a game to get more money but in the end their main concern is not losing their license. More than likely your dr saw something that your case worker was doing that set off an alarm.

Good luck, I know how hard this process is without having to deal with these issues, I can't imagine how difficult it is with.

Good thoughts and prayers,
Peach

Old 04-30-2005, 03:26 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Dealing in Pa. HB User

Very Sorry To Hear About Your Recent Events!!! I Live In Pennsylvania And I'm Also Dealing With Wc. I Know For A Fact That 90 Days After Surgery, 0r 6 Months After An Injury If You Are Not Satisfied With Your Care You May Choose Your Own Dr. And Comp Has To Pay. I Don't Know What State You Are In But Please Call Your State Comp. Dept.(usually Under Dept. Of Labor And Industry) And Learn Your Rights. Sounds To Me Like Your Cm Is Trying To Push You Through The System As Quickly As Possible. This Unfortunate Accident Was Not Your Fault, And Don't Let Them Totally Control Your Healing Process. The More You Can Learn About Your States Comp. Laws, The Better You Can Make The Right Decisions On Your Own. Hope You Feel Better And Things Resolve For You, I'll Say A Prayer!!!

Old 04-30-2005, 12:37 PM   #7
(female)

suebeehoneytree HB User

Thank you so much everyone! I did consult a lawyer this past week. A very good one from what I here. Now I am going to go ahead with him. This is too much for me emotionally, mentally, and phyically. I have been so stressed out this past week, I can hardly function. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to travel to a different town to doctor. I live in the rural midwest, so it will mean going about 200 miles, but I think it is worth it.
I'll update again when I find out the results of the MRI.

Thank you all again!

Closed Thread