It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2005, 11:05 PM   #1
(female)

Read66 HB User
$$$$$ Discogram

I was amazed at how much my discogram cost. The hospital were it was done billed my insurance $8500 and the Dr. and Radiology billed $3500. I had a 3 leval disco. Yes it is a valuable test. But $12000 bucks. Just curious if that is about what was the standard. Thank God for insurance. my portion was $450. Granted Insurance only paid have of what they billed. What a racket.
Barb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2005, 11:22 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
Re: $$$$$ Discogram

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 08:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2005, 08:19 AM   #3
(female)

rowboat HB User

So far I've only seen the bill from the hospital, don't know if there will be one from the doctor, too or not. This bill was $9402.05. My portion is only $422, but still! If the discogram cost that much, I can't wait to see the surgery bill! Let's just hope it's worth it.

Becky

Old 05-01-2005, 04:36 AM   #4
(female)

Read66 HB User

I am right there with you rowboat. Makes me glad I have a cap on out of pocket in my insurance. I think it was on this board somewhere someone posted that their surgery was $92,000. Really scary.

By the way Rowboat how are you doing. getting closer to our surgery date. You doing ok? Been thinking about you.
Barb

Old 05-02-2005, 09:40 AM   #5
(female)

rowboat HB User

Hi Barb!

You know, I was just thinking about you this morning. I was wondering if you were starting to freak out as much as I am. I told my husband last night that he can expect me to be pretty stressed for the next couple of weeks. I go tomorrow to get fitted for my brace and then I go next Monday to see my dr so he can check my lungs and heart and make sure I can have the surgery. (not to mention answer all my questions) I'm trying to keep a list of questions to ask him. If you think of any, let me know, would ya?

Here's some perspective for you: 2 weeks from today, we will be home and recovering and the worst will be behind us. Right?

Bec

Old 05-02-2005, 07:38 PM   #6
(female)

Read66 HB User

Yep I like that perspective. And yes I am freaking out. You get so anxous to get something done for your pain. But now that it is getting close I am soooo nervous. It is a major step.I was in and asked my dr. Questions already. Just the standard, How long hospital stay, Was he grafting from my hip ( he's doing BMP), Had him show me exactly what he would be doing. Found out that although it is going to be anterior it might also be posterior, double wammy. Depends on what they find when they go in. I discussed pain control with him. I've been on pain meds over a year. I am concerned about their ability to control my pain due to that. He said they would monitor me closely and not to worry.

I'll be thinking about you. Sending prayers for total success. It's kinda nice to know someone will be where I'm at that day. Hopefully we won't drive our husbands nuts before the 12th. Ha Ha.
Barb

Old 05-03-2005, 10:13 AM   #7
(female)

rowboat HB User

I have a stupid question....what's the difference between anterior and posterior? My orders say I'm having "posterior lumbar interbody fusion/postlateral fusion". I will be asking him what that means on Monday, I just thought I would see if you know.

Fortunately for me, my husband is really good natured. He just takes it all in stride. And he teases me as often as he can. When I told him he would have to stay in the waiting room during my surgery just in case anything happens, he said "didn't I already sign that paper?" I asked what paper and he said the one that says no life support. I told him he could go away and I would let my mommy stay!! Big brat, anyway.

I'm getting nervous about this afternoon. I have to go up and be fitted for my brace. Sounds like about as much fun as a root canal!!

Take care...

Becky

Old 05-03-2005, 11:27 AM   #8
(male)

bback HB User

Hey rowboat,
To answer your question, anterior is through the front and posterior is through the back. I see where you and Read66 are having surgery on the 12th. My 2 level is on the 12th also. Good luck to you both and I hope for a speedy recovery for us all!

Old 05-04-2005, 02:08 AM   #9
(female)

Read66 HB User

Rowboat and BBack

Lucky three. Doesn't it make you wonder how dr. decide whether to do it post or ant. Ask your doc if you think about it Becky.
BBack - Good luck to you also. Good thoughts coming your way for a successful surgery and painless recovery.
Barb

Closed Thread