It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2005, 10:41 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
How long can a nerve be pinched before there is permanent damage?

My nerve in my lower back has been severely pinched for two weeks now. My foot is really numb and painful and the back of my leg all the way down hurts and gets really tight. My MRI shows a severly pinched nerve. How long before it causes permanent damage? I have an appt scheduled with a surgeon tomorrow and want to know how much time I have to decide.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2005, 06:59 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
Re: How long can a nerve be pinched before there is permanent damage?

[QUOTE=Kari7171]My nerve in my lower back has been severely pinched for two weeks now. My foot is really numb and painful and the back of my leg all the way down hurts and gets really tight. My MRI shows a severly pinched nerve. How long before it causes permanent damage? I have an appt scheduled with a surgeon tomorrow and want to know how much time I have to decide.[/QUOTE]

Nobody can really give an exact length of time it takes for a nerve to be pinched and cause permenant damage.... but my Neurosurgeon told me that each day the nerve is pinched is another day that it is being damaged that much more.... my nerve was pinched about 6 months and I have permenant nerve damage..... but I suppose it all depends on how compressed the nerve is as well.... but if your Neuro tells you that surgery is the best route for you to take, I would get it done as quickly as possible.... Good Luck to ya..

TROSE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2005, 07:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Re: How long can a nerve be pinched before there is permanent damage?

Yeah that is what I was thinking also. I have been losing leg strength also. My calf is really bad it is so weak. It's amazing how in just two weeks of having a pinched nerve your muscle can get so weak that you can't hardly use it anymore. That is a bad sign and warrants quick action as far as I am concerned. I heard that my surgeon is really good and that he does this new surgery where they just go in with a probe and suction the herniated part of the disc out. I sure hope I can have that procedure done it does not sound near as bad as being cut into.

Closed Thread