It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2005, 05:09 AM   #1
(male)

bufitfn HB User
Snowball effect??

One more question guys, I'm wondering, if L4-L5-S1 is fused, what are the chances that L3 will go south eventually? My doctor says the numbers are all over the place, but he seemes to think 15% chance. I have heard Much higher, What have any of you heard or experienced?
Any thoughts would be helpful, Dave

Old 05-11-2005, 05:27 AM   #2
(female)

jillybo HB User
Anyone else had this????

I had microdiscectomy in late Dec. and all went well. Dr. did say eventually I might need a fusion.
Now, when I stand still for more than 15 minutes I get deep pains in both buttocks that eventually radiate down the outside of both legs. Walking will ease the pain but not for long. I get the pains no matter where I am, just standing still.
Anyone else had this or know what it could be??

Thanks!
Jillybo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2005, 05:33 AM   #3
(male)

bufitfn HB User
Re: Snowball effect??

Hey jilly, I had 2 discecomies on L5/S1 I now have the same pain down my right leg BAD. It's the same pain as the first two times. Sorry to tell ya but I'm willing to bet you reherniated the disc. I'm now getting my third surgery on the same disc.

Old 05-11-2005, 11:24 AM   #4
(female)

jillybo HB User

Wow, that doesn't sound good, does it?
I had another MRI March 23 and the Dr. said it didn't look "too terrible". At first he thought it was bursitis which he said is common after discetomy but I don't know. I never had this pain until I had the surgery. Surgery DID help the spasms and the 911-type sciatica. I can't figure why just standing still causes the pain. Did you have that same pain and did it begin after the discectomy???
What am I in for???????????????????????????

Old 05-11-2005, 01:56 PM   #5
(male)

bufitfn HB User

well my first discecomy lasted for 7 months, I only got up from a chair and I thought I got shot! The pain was bad. I had another MRI and it looked just like the first one! Same hernia same disc. I have been in pain ever since then and that was in 02'. I am trying the micro again in hopes that I can postpone the fusion as long as possible, The doc said I wont gaurentee anything. We'll see.................

Old 05-11-2005, 02:53 PM   #6
(female)

go*big*red HB User
Took mine about 1 year

bufitfn
With L5/S1 fused, it took about a year for my L4/5 to go and it was pretty decent with some fluid. Now it's dry and bulging. But, the ones above it were dry and bulging prior to my fusion. Don't know if that's got anything to do with it.
10/10/06 PLIF L4/5, Dynesys L3/4

Old 05-11-2005, 03:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

In 1981 I had my first surgery at L5-S1. I have had 3 at that same level since then. My other disc above are still in pretty good shape. So it is not written in stone that the others will go bad. They might, but then again, they might not.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 05-11-2005, 04:15 PM   #8

acl828 HB User

Dave
I am fused at L4-5 and L5-S1. This was done in May 2003 and now, I'm having problems with L2-3 and L3-4. The Orthopedic surgeon who looked at my films said he believed this was coming from the fusion and that with fusions, the replacement of pressure just goes up and up and up until it can go nowhere else. He is recommending an ADR for me. He believes the ADR will relieve the pressure issue.
I hope all goes well for you...good luck!

Closed Thread