It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2005, 04:35 PM   #1
(female)

soaplady HB User
SI joint block injection today

Hi, I posted a awhile back regarding my SI joint dysfunction, and my awful time trying to get an MRI, decent pm doc, etc.

At that time, I was just starting chiro treatment. He ended up being a very good, nice doctor, unlike the ortho and pm docs. I had 8 visits which did not resolve my pain enough, so chiro recommended I get the SI block injection a couple of weeks ago. He arranged for me to see a different pm doc who I met for the first time today...and got my shot!

I checked around before my app't, and everyone that knew this doc had alot of good things to say. He was much easier to talk with than the first guy. He is an anethesiologist/pain medication doctor. I was nervous, nonetheless.

This was the first time I ever had any injections in my back. He was very happy that the injection went into the joint ratherly nicely, normally it's hard to get the needle in just the right place. The bad part of the experience was he thought I was pretty numb when he started pushing in the needle, OUCH!! I needed more lidocaine. It did help since I have recently lost 8 pounds, that reduced the amount of fat and skin the needle had to travel through.

What I felt was some pressure, it was not a pain free procedure. I'm a big baby anyway when it comes to pain I just had surgery a month ago for gyn issues, where I had to be put out for quite awhile, and needed a breathing tube. That was almost easier b/c I was asleep!!

Right now, my back is sore from the injection. He said it may take up to three days for the total effect of the steroid to work. I am scheduled for June 14 for a second shot.

I may not need one, hopefully.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2005, 02:24 PM   #2
(female)

soaplady HB User
Re: SI joint block injection today

Has anyone had this injection? If so, what was your experience? Did it help after one shot, two? Or even three? If the shots didn't work, what did you do next?

I still have injection site pain, and some reduced joint pain today. Just can't sit too long in one place.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-13-2005, 04:21 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-15-2005 at 11:42 PM.

Old 05-14-2005, 11:14 PM   #4
(female)

soaplady HB User

Hi Quietcook, I think we talked before. Thanks for responding! I think the shot has helped a bit, but I still have some joint pain. I was able to walk around alot today (shopping and an evening festival), and my back didn't ache quite as much. I do have an occasional burning sensation in the joint which I didn't have before, but it's tolerable.

I definitely think I'll need the second shot. I don't think one is going to be enough. The pm doc said he's almost 100% sure I developed arthritis in the si joint, the initial injury would have healed much sooner (I fell 8 months ago, and have had pain every single day since). I already have arthritis in the L4 and L5 facet joints which is somewhat painful and achy. If the shot helps the si joint, I may talk to the doc about doing one in the other joints.

I think you mentioned prolotherapy awhile back? What has worked for you if the shot didn't?

What surgery can be done for this problem? Anyone had that done for si joint dysfunction?

Thanks again!

Old 05-15-2005, 06:46 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

soaplady: I would have another MRI and CT scan before I would let a doctor tell me that I have arthritis in my SI joint. I have had SI dysfunction for over two years and have not found a cure. But, when I had the CT scan and MRI there was no arthritis in my joint. I did have arthritis in my L3 due to the excessive movement of the SI joint.

I had the Prolo and am going back for more treatments to try to tighten up my ligament. I stopped because they said that I was cured but I wasn't.

I would bypass the ESI's and find a good Prolo therapist. ESI's just mask the pain when and if they do work. If you have excess play in your SI joint the only remedy is surgery with screws or Prolo, I believe.

Old 05-15-2005, 10:47 PM   #6
(female)

soaplady HB User

Hi Betty, I do have arthritis in my L4 and L5 joints, and some narrowing of the L5. The docs said the arthritis looks mild, but it's enough to hurt! The chiro didn't think I had arthritis in the joint, but the pm doc did. Goes to show that back stuff is hard to dx!

I have thought about possible excess movement of the SI joint causing the arthritis in my lower back. Chiro wanted to see how I did with the SI injections first before moving on to the next step (whatever that would be).

I have done some reading on prolotherapy, but I don't know if anyone around here does it. I'm going to ask the chiro when I talk with him this week.

It's been three days since the injection, and it seems to have taken the edge off the pain. I still have some pain, but it's not as bad. I want to complete the series of shots, then see what happens.

Are you considering the surgery? I've done some reading about that, too. That would definitely be my last resort, if all else fails.

I hope the prolo works for you this time, and your back heals!!

Last edited by soaplady; 05-15-2005 at 10:49 PM.

Old 05-16-2005, 07:01 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

soaplady:

I hope that you don't think that I am being cynical. The PM will tell you that you need to shots. It is their job.

Did your MRI or CT scan show arthritis in the joint? Ask them for a CT panel before you allow them to keep giving you shots. Inflammation is part of the healing process. It is a sign that the body is trying to heal. It is painful but necessary.

Prolotherapy involves shooting shots fo sugar water into your ligaments, straight down to the bone causing massive inflammation. It kick starts the ligaments into healing and tightening up.

I am going to do two or three more treatments in order to repair mine. I had the last treatments last year, this time of the year. I just did not get enough treatments.

As the ligament pulls on the back, due to instability, it causes the back to have slop in the movement and arthritis sits in when the back is trying to stabilize itself. My pain goes from my spine, around my hip, crossing over my SI on the way, and then to my groin. The pain runs from my SI joint down the back of my thigh. I can actually feel the slop in my SI joint when I walk, and I walk five miles a day.

The worst part is sitting, standing, or riding in a car. Walking is the only thing that does not hurt.

I hav run the gamut of tests. The one thing that I won't do is the ESI's though. It goes against everything that I have read about healing the SI joint. I am following the MEAT massage, plan, exercise, analgisics, treatment. the treatment being Prolo. That goes against most doctor's plans, RICE, rest, ice, I am not sure what C is, and exercise.

I tried all of the conservative plans. But, it has been two years.

As for surgery, I am not so sure that I want them to go in and scew my SI joint together since it is the ligament. They can go in and take out the slack in the ligament and sew it together, but it is hard to find anyone that will do this. This is why I am a proponent of Prolo.

But, the worst part of the Prolo is the inflammation and you can't take anything for it. Pain meds are my enemy. They will give you loads of them to take while you recover, just not anti-inflammatory meds. I had to brave it out with out meds. I did the treatments one month apart. It was pure hell.

When they did your SI joint injection, did they use a flourescope? Insist on them using it. Also, you need to have Versad when they do it.

It is a catch 22. You have to keep stretching and walking, but as you do, your body creates arthritis to stablize itself. And, if you take anti-inflammatory meds for the pain of the arthritis, you counteract the healing process.

Get back to me after you have had your three ESI's if they did not work and we can talk Prolo.

Old 05-16-2005, 07:07 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Hi, 2 more days I get a shot in between my spine and hips to numb the area . Its not supposed to last long, Just to see if it will work to stop my pain, Do you know what this is called, He said he will watch the needle go in on some kind of x-ray thing, Not an epidural.???

Old 05-16-2005, 07:47 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Trigger point shots? Also known as ESI's. Ask what is in them. See if they are just using a local or if they contain steroids. I have had them tell me that they are trigger points and then when pinned down, they admitted to steorids.

The x-ray thing is a flouroscopy, I believe.

What point is he trying to hit? The SI joint?

Old 05-17-2005, 07:23 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[QUOTE=injured betty]Trigger point shots? Also known as ESI's. Ask what is in them. See if they are just using a local or if they contain steroids. I have had them tell me that they are trigger points and then when pinned down, they admitted to steorids.

The x-ray thing is a flouroscopy, I believe.

What point is he trying to hit? The SI joint?

[/QUOTE]Some nerve down close to my hips ? I still believe its that broken screw, It burns and a sharp stabbing feeling in my left hip and lower back . He said it wasnt steriods, He said steriods wouldnt help me. I dont know but he said the needle was real thin, Not like an epidural needle.
Thank GOD

Old 05-17-2005, 06:29 PM   #11
(female)

soaplady HB User

Betty, no I didn't think you were cynical at all I asked my chiro to get me referred over to a pain doc for the shots, I just had to try them to see if I could get some relief. My MRI did not show any arthritis in the SI joints, only in the L4 and L5. I was told, and from the reading I've done so far, that SI joint problems do not show up on those scans. The shots are the gold standard for dx the dysfunction.

I am glad to say that I have some relief from my first shot. This has been the least am't of pain I've had for almost 8 months. It's not totally pain free, but definitely an improvement. I will get the rest of the shots, then go from there. I plan to ask my chiro tomorrow about the prolotherapy in case the shots don't help permanently.

Betty, I hope your next treatment steps work for you. It sounds like you have had an awful time trying to get relief for the pain. Interestingly, I also have the most trouble sitting, standing, riding the car, etc. Walking is also pain free for me up to a certain point. I work out 6 days a week doing 30 minutes every morning before I begin my day. I use alternating workout tapes, they use low impact walking (no jumping), and some free weights. I haven't gotten back to the Y yet for more intense machine work.

Another thing I did was rejoin weight watchers to try and get my weight back to a normal level. I started out several years ago needing to lose 30 pounds, I am down 20 and have 10 to go. I hope this helps take the stress off my joints. It feels great so far!

The pain doc did use the flouroscopy for the SI joint injection. He said it was a textbook injection, got it right where it needed to be.

Shawley, let us know how your injection goes. I hope it works for you!

One more thing, I refrain from pain meds as much as possible. Haven't taken anything for about a month.

Last edited by soaplady; 05-17-2005 at 06:31 PM.

Old 05-18-2005, 11:05 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Injuredbetty,

Hi, the shot was a facet injection, He gave me 4 . They wasnt as bad as the epidural shots . I felt fine, I had a little thumping in my left leg, But when I got home. I grabbed the push mower and guess what ? Pain in my lower back and a severe thumping pain in my left leg. BUT I do feel better than this morning, So I guess I cant complain .

Old 05-18-2005, 10:34 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Shawly: It was my understanding that a facet joint injection is an ESI, they just shoot into your facet joint and not your spine. Four is a little much, if they are the same.

Do you have arthritits in your facet joints?

Old 05-19-2005, 05:38 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[QUOTE=injured betty]Shawly: It was my understanding that a facet joint injection is an ESI, they just shoot into your facet joint and not your spine. Four is a little much, if they are the same.

Do you have arthritits in your facet joints?[/QUOTE]The Dr told me he was going to deaden the nerve in my hips, He gave me one in each hip, and One on each side of my hardware, They never told me if I had arthritis ? He told me it was to test, if the pain would temperarly stop.If it worked he had a long term plan for me . It helped, But my left leg has been thumping worse than ever, BUT my hips feel better, So that has to be good .

Old 05-19-2005, 09:49 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Let's hope that the long term plan is not ESI's. You don't want to end up with hip replacements.

They usually give facet injections when you have arthritis in the facets. I wonder why he called them facet injections if he gave them to you in the hips? Those would be ESI's, wouldn't they? The ones on each side of your hardware might have been facet injections, which are technically the same thing, different names. Same substance used. local/steroids

Closed Thread