It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2005, 03:15 PM   #1
(female)

NewLeaf HB User
EMG AND NCV test??? ARE THEY PAINFUL

I need to find out about these test? My doctor said that he heard they are painful? Do they not give you something for the pain??? Leaf

Old 05-23-2005, 03:57 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
Re: EMG AND NCV test??? ARE THEY PAINFUL

Hi NewLeaf... and Welcome to the boards....

As far as wanting to know if the EMG and NCV tests are painful.... all I can do is tell you from my experience... YES! mine was extremely painful, have had others on this board say they just felt some discomfort....but I did find mine to be quite painful.... and NO! they do NOT give you anything for the pain......the Needle portion of the test is the most painful... the electrode portion is more uncomfortable then anything...What part of your body are they doing the test on?? Mine was done on my legs and lower back..... the one that about set me off the table was when they stuck the needle in my lower back, right beside my insision scar..... Each person is different and you may not find it painful.... There is just really no way to say...Best of Luck to you..

TRose

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2005, 04:18 PM   #3

sheltie fan HB User

Everybody's different so it's hard to say. I had my lower back and legs tested. It was uncomfortable, but for me, it really didn't hurt that bad. Just to show how everybody's different, the lady in front of me came out talking about how bad it hurt her. Hope everything goes ok when you have the test.

Old 05-23-2005, 07:41 PM   #4
(female)

NewLeaf HB User

I think they are doing my lower back and shoulder... Not sure if he is doing the foot... too much going on today as to what I passed or didn't pass...Leaf

Old 05-24-2005, 03:47 PM   #5
(female)

hazelnut HB User

[QUOTE=NewLeaf]I need to find out about these test? My doctor said that he heard they are painful? Do they not give you something for the pain??? Leaf[/QUOTE]

Hi Leaf,
I have had two of these test. I agree w/ trose the one part is just uncomfortable and the last part w/ the needles is pretty bad. But the 2nd one I had a month ago I asked if they gave you anything and they said no. But they said call the dr. who is ordering the test and he can give you something that will not intefere w/ the test. I called my neuro and he prescribed vicadin. I have to say the 2nd part was alot more bearable this time w/ the painkillers. I was so relieved. I hope your doc will prescribe you something. Let us know how it goes. Nicole

Old 05-24-2005, 04:56 PM   #6
(female)

cookingmom HB User

Hello,

I had these tests last week and I just felt discomfort not real pain. I do have a high tolerance for pain and each person is different but it was not at all bad for me. Good luck to you.

Old 05-24-2005, 10:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I think it depends on pain thresholds and if there is something wrong. See, when I had the nct, it wasn't fun, but didn't hurt. When the emg started, it was very uncomfortable, and felt like everything was cramping, but wasn't painful, until they put the needle into my left shoulder. I started to cry immediately. See, I have a pinched nerve there and it was very painful. So, that is an example from my point of view. There are many factors that could cause it to be more painful-I don't think pain meds are good for before the test, but I don't know. Def after if you hurt. These are all things you should discuss w/your doc
I am having another done next month (last was in NOv), and I am not bothered by it, though I am not ready to cry from pain either. But, gotta do what I gotta do.

Closed Thread