It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2005, 03:43 PM   #1
(female)

reiki gal HB User
Question Ultrasound to "shatter" bone spurs?

Hi All,

After extensive reading in this forum [shudder] I am wondering if no one has heard of one treatment I am currently undergoing & another that the neurologist has proposed?

I also have DDD, herniated disc [L4-L5], osteoarthritis, osteopenia, stenosis, spondy...., and facet joint disease. This last has been causing many problems lately [bone spurs pressing on nerves] & interfering in the success I've had with my current treatment.

That is the 20 session IDD "AccuaSpina" regimen. It is much advanced from the old chiropractic "stretch your back" machine. I have had 14 treatments [FDA approved & insurance & MediCare both recognize & pay for it] and can't believe the relief I've gotten. The "table" is actually split in the middle & the machine is computer programmed for the amount of "tilt" & "expansion" during each session as indicated by your MRI. As the vertebrea are [U]gradually [/U] "pulled apart" and/or tipped up or down to realign, this allows fluid & oxygen to re-enter collapsed discs & to plump them up & regenerate!

I must admit I was very skeptical when I read about this, but did a lot of research online & talked to the neurosurgeopn & 8 of his patients. I wanted to prolong surgery & injections as long as possible, so decided to give it a try. Amazing results, so far........which brings me to the second procedure.

The facet joint disease Those nasty bone spurs have thrown a monkey wrench into this treatment. This treatment will not help with them. The neurosurgeon has proposed using ultrasound to "shatter" the bone spurs. I know this is being used very successfully for kidney stones but have not heard of it for this purpose. Of course I know that the stones & spurs are both calcium so am figuring "why shouldn't it work"???

If anyone has heard of this procedure or has any info or experience to share I'd be most grateful.

To all of you that haven't heard of the other treatment; PLEASE do look into it!

Namaste, reiki gal

The Following User Says Thank You to reiki gal For This Useful Post:
diesetter (06-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2005, 07:10 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: Ultrasound to "shatter" bone spurs?

This is just my take,

The arthritis (the bone spurs/facet joint disease) is the body's way of trying to shore up the body. Your body is reacting to loosey gooseyness in your back. It lays out calcium deposits to try to stabilize itself. Sometimes nerves get hung up in the process.

I had the same table used on me. My chiro called it a McKenzie table. I did it four time. I never had a disc problem until I got on that table. Against doctor's orders, he did it. I was sent to him for SI dysfunction. I came away with a herniated disc. My doctor was screaming mad.

If there really was a machine that pumped back up the discs and made them all better, why are there so many surgeries?

You might want to talk to a physiatrist before you go on. I would question the neurosurgeon's take on this one. Does your nuerosurgeon do surgery or has his license been pulled? That is the first question that I ask these days. There are a lot of doctors out there right now who are doing pain management because they lost their right to do surgery. Yours sounds a little fishy to me,

just me being cynical.

Old 05-25-2005, 03:35 AM   #3
(female)

reiki gal HB User

Hi Betty,

Thanks for your input & believe me, there is no one more cynical than this Gemini Sorry, that in last section of my post I said "neurosurgeon"...he is a neurologist, as I properly identified in the first paragraph...my bad! I purposefully did not go to a neurosurgeon because I know there "job" is to fix things via surgery. 2 of my sisters went that route with their back problems & had lots of problems...so I decided to try all other options first.

I did check him and the "table" out quite extensively. This is NOT the old table or procedure [which was never tested in recognized medical studies]. Even after all the reading I waited 'til I talked to patients of his currently undergoing the procedure & those who had been through the whole thing! Did not get any negative responses except from one man who was disappointed that he had not yet seen results; but he was only on treatment #5...IF this works for me [or anyone else] I will just be grateful that it did...even if it gives me more years without injections or surgery.

As to the ultrasound...any info on that...yea or nay??? Just looking for as much info as I can get before I make a decision.

Thanks again

Old 05-25-2005, 12:02 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

I was on the new table, it was about six months ago. He was so proud of it.

Anyway, as for the bone spurs, they just grow back. Until the issue of the facet disease is addressed, getting rid of the bone spurs is a waste of money. I had one in my shoulder. I had it removed to the tune of $15,000, my cost, I paid cash. It grew back because my shoulder was unstable.

I would try to get to the root of the problem before trying to fix it. Sure, they can blast calcuim deposits, but they grow back unless the problem is fixed. Sounds like you have some problems with stability in your back. You might want to look at muscles and ligaments as they are what keeps your back in place.

You sound like you are open to alternative treatments, ask about Prolotherapy and its ability to shore up loose ligaments.

Loose ligaments in what caused my back to hurt in the first place. If your ligaments are loose, it pulls your spine to and fro and eventually arthritis develops. Facets starts grinding on each other and calcium deposits develop.

Have your doctor show you a full size skeleton. Play around with it and ask him to show you exactly what he is talking about. Hands on is a great way to learn.

The Following User Says Thank You to injured betty For This Useful Post:
diesetter (06-06-2012)
Closed Thread