It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
(male)

superstud HB User
L4/L5 L5/S1 problems

ok i have had an mri done on my lower back.I have seen that there is no light in iehter L4/L5 and L5/S1 disks..also L5/S1 disk is bulging and pinching my sciatic nerve.I have been having sharp pains in my butt cheek area for over 21/2 yrs and finally had to get the mri..Is there much of a chance that a steroid shot will help?The dr said to give it a chance..1 shot is all he wants to try b4 surgery..Everyone ive talked to has told me that it takes several shots.So i dont understand why id only be getting 1 shot..I also have been dealing with the pain for so long i dont want to fart around and prolong it if the shot wont help..i have 4pics on 1 piece of paper that ive scanned onto my computer if anyone is willing to take a look and tell me what they think..please help with any advice..Also im only 32 yrs old

Old 06-01-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User
Re: L4/L5 L5/S1 problems

Same areas my problems started in, Drs will almost always want to try the ESI inj. first one of the reasons is for ins. purposes, ins. require that you try the least invasive measures first.
As for doing one shot this will give you a chance to see if it's going to help and if it does then it can be done in a series of 3, your dr said this as I'm sure he doesn't expect that it will be of any help but as I said it is still a protacal they go through.
Your right though in not wanting to delay some action soon as I didn't have good medical attention and am now permanantly disabled as my S1 nerve is damaged and I'm no longer operable.
Please take care and know the dr is following procedure.
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2005, 08:07 PM   #3
(male)

superstud HB User

hey that makes since and damn it now igotta tell my woman she was right..lol someone had mentioned the shot being the lease evasive and when i told her she also had said could be the dr's insurance issues as well.i just know that i have a hard time getting an i.v. in the arm..im scarred as hell about gettin the shot in my back..granted surgery wont be any better but atleast id be asleep.i hope that after dealing with the pinched nerve for over 21/2 yrs that i havent damaged the nerve..please tell me how your sciatic nerve got damaged.also the dr didnt say anything about a series of 3 shots..he just said he would prefer to give me 1 shot..then he said if that doesnt work then surgery.so with what u said about the series of 3 shots then i believe he knows the shots a waste of time and is just covering his butt..but either way im gonna try the shot.get it on the 6th and i hope that it will work but if not im not gonna hesitate to do surgery.the not being able to drive a stick shift in a comfy mannor or sleep without the aids of pills or basicly even shopping starts to really hurt at times..anyways ty for the info linda..

Old 06-02-2005, 05:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

Sorry you have to eat crow, we all do at some time!!! I'm sure your women won't mind!!
Anyway the shos are ususally done in a series of 3 if the first one helps, but if it doesn't then the dr ususally doesn't even bother with the 2, I have had some drs that have pushed them on me before I got wise, also mine was a WC claim to begin with and I had to fight for anything and everything.
I fell at work back in 99 and by the time I fought to get the right test to find out the extint of my injury it was to late, I hade the 3 bulging disc and tears at 2 levels and the disc pressing on the nerve and the fluid from the disc damaged the nerve it just went on for to many yrs not being treated properly.
I know what you mean about not being able to do the things we even need to we ended up buying a SUV because I couldn't even get in or out of the car and the list of things in life that has changed is a mile long.
IT sounds like your DR is pretty good if he's not going do waste a lot of time whith the inj. ect. since it has already been so long.
I also have a very hard time with IV'S I found if the wrap my arm with a warmed blanket the vein will pop out, of course not all places have the warmed blankets, I always said if I ever hurt my back NO ONE was touching it no way, I've ate those words so m any times this pass 6 yrs, I never knew pain like this could last for ever.
I wish you the best of luck and let me know how it goes, sorry for the crow..
Linda

The Following User Says Thank You to jdlfmc For This Useful Post:
ajkmann (08-23-2011)
Old 06-02-2005, 08:30 AM   #5
(male)

superstud HB User

lol its ok i dont mind crow..the prob with iv's isnt from lack of viens..i just dont like needles..hell my viens are an addicts dream..heck when i had to get stiches in my leg for a cut i had suffered i asked the dr if there was some way to numb it without a needle..luckily he said yes and put some gel stuff on it and that worked great..lol no needle in the cut..but i just cant imagine who the needle in the back is gonna feel..im scared chitless of it yet im also glad i got the date moved up a week so i can get it done sooner.lol i guess im just a big ol teddy bear

Old 06-02-2005, 12:25 PM   #6
(male)

CONCERNED 2 HB User

SUPERSTUD, WITH A NAME LIKE THAT YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE A PROBLEM . IF YOUR AFRAID HAVE HIM GIVE YOU MEDS. BEFORE YOU GO IN . MAYBE SOME VALIUM. I'VE HAD 3 SURGERIES AND A L4-5, L5-S1 FUSION. TRY NEURONTIN BEFORE SURGERY. SURGERY ISN'T A PAIN RELIEVER, ONLY A BANDAID.I TAKE VICIDON 3X A DAY AND NEURONTIN AT NIGHT IT MAKES ME SLEEPY. NEURONTINS FOR THE BURN. CHECK OUT WWW.CHARTIE.COM THAT'S THE LASTEST. GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!

Old 06-02-2005, 06:20 PM   #7
(male)

superstud HB User

well i got percocets and i think i may be able to get a valuim b4 hand..my womans mom is a pharmacy tech and may have some..but the only reason i got this name is cuz the stncld69 or similiar that i wanted was taken..lol..so with my way of thinkin i got lucky with this name..guess its cuz i got 15 kids with 11 different women..lol that was a joke.sorry..but i gotta try and joke when im still scared as hell about reading what someone wrote about how bad the numbing shot hurt..i would almost rather have surgery cuz at that point the only shot i would get would be the iv..everything else id be asleep for..i really hate shots and am very nervouse but its gotta get done..i also plan on takin 2-3 percs b4 we leave for the hospital

Old 06-02-2005, 08:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

I really think that you can do this and better then you think, just breathe and try really hard to let it go and not think of it as needles and injections think of it only as a way to feel better and the means to a end of pain. Not to scare you but the last two spine surgeries I had I was awake, I also had heart surgery awake.
Also make sure that you will have this ESI done under fluroscopy, it is x-ray and much safer and more accurate.
I have faith that you can do this and come out on top..
Linda

Old 06-03-2005, 11:08 AM   #9
(male)

superstud HB User

ty for your confidence.i aprreciate that.i do know there gonna do an injection then the steriods..so im assuming it is with an x-ray type of injection.lol and now my woman tells me that the dr's office called to confirm my appointment and they said that i cant take any painpills b4 going there..them *******s.sorry but i had planned on take a few percs b4 we left for the dr's office..lol anyone have anymore ideas that may work?

Old 06-03-2005, 11:23 AM   #10
(female)

flameglow HB User

Hi Superstud,

I was just diagnosed with spinal stenosis and they want to give me the epidural shots too! I am very afraid of needles!!! Why can't they put you out for this procedure ...at least they can guarantee I will stay still. How many injections do they give to numb it??? And why do they hurt that much?

Old 06-04-2005, 01:17 PM   #11
(female)

julietoolie HB User

hi superstud had the same ghave had an artificial disc replacement everything yeh heh love julie

Old 06-05-2005, 07:15 PM   #12
(male)

superstud HB User

well my appointment is less than 12hrs away.i too am very scared of needles and afraid of moving.guess the next time yall hear from me itll be over with.i plan on taking a valium and 2 percocets and drinking o hot fresh big cup of coffee..trying to do everything i can to relaxe.granted i prob wont sleep much tonight but either way im hoping all goes well.wish me well

Old 06-05-2005, 11:30 PM   #13
(female)

trystero HB User

CONCERNED, you said "surgery isn't a pain reliever it's only a band-aid." That is really not what any surgeon would say--surgery, as opposed to epidural shots or opiates or most other conservative approaches IS supposed to relieve pain by fixing the structural problem.

Old 06-06-2005, 04:59 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

Just want to say your in my thoughts and have no doubt you will make it through with flying colors.
Check in and let us know how it goes and in the meantime get your ice packs ready for when you come home you will want to make sure you rest and use ice on the injection sight for a few days I know ice was my saver...
There was a good suggestion made, you may want to check and see if you do qualify for artificail disc replacement.I know right now in the U.S. the FDA has only approved one level replacements but it's a thought.
Linda

Old 06-06-2005, 10:30 AM   #15
(male)

superstud HB User

hey hey people.i just got home and i feel like a fool for stressing so bad.the exact procedure i had was a s1 nerve block steriod injection.i cant believe i lost sleep over this.i guess hearing some people say it hurt so bad and others say it wasnt so bad..lol i think the burning sensation of the spray they put on my skin was worse than the actual novacaine they shot in me to numb everything..other than that i felt alittle pain from the pressure once they got close to the nerve.wow i feel so stupid for stressing as bad as i did but then again i guess its normal for someone who hates needles and has never gone through this b4.i know if i every come across someone with the fears i had i can be honest with them and say it really isnt bad at all..i honestly feel that other than the pressure when they got close to the nerve,an I.V. hurts worse.thanks for all the support yall have givin me..i know now its just a matter of waiting to see if the shot helped and if it does work then i can say id go for more shots b4 surgery..i will definatly come back as the days go by and let everyone know how the shot is doing..i cant thank yall enough and also for those that knew it wouldnt be that bad..thanks for not cally me a pu#$y..lol

Closed Thread