It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2005, 01:33 PM   #1
(female)

kmall HB User
walking after surgery...

if you've had surgery...when did you start walking after surgery? i mean sneakers on, walking. like around the neighborhood. i'm 6 days out after microdiscectomy L4/L5, feeling OK. each day gets better. yesterday was terrific, today not so good....feeling tired and a little nausea....

my docs ofc didn't give a real clear idea of when to start going out on "walks"...and i know everyone's recovery is different. don't feel the energy yet, although i'm doing plenty of walking around my yard looking at plants, and walking around the house, etc. trying to stay "active" (which just means not lyeing down the whole day) and balance that with rest/recovery. not too much sitting at one time either.

just wondered what others back surgery recovery was like....

when did you ride in a car for the first time?

when did you drive again?

did you have to take pain pills like oxycodone? when did you start to taper it?
(i've started to taper mine today - i was taking 4 at a time to control the pain - yesterday i tried 3, today i took 2 at a time, with tylenol)

did hurting your back effect your appetite? when did your appetite return? (mine has been sporadic for a long time - since hurting my back in february...i do need to lose weight, so not being hungry isn't such a bad thing sometimes!)

i'm being extra careful about not bending/twisting - i'm having all my laundry done for me - thanks to having my sisters and mom in the same town! my husband has been doing tons for me too - did lots of work in the yard - today is very hot, and i'm very grateful for our air-conditioned house.

thanks.
kara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User
Re: walking after surgery...

You can start taking little, short walks as soon as you feel strong enough and increase the distance as tolerated. Be careful to pay close attention to your body mechanics and be alert for any signs that you are overdoing it. Your dr. should have told you when you are able to drive again....rarely before 6 weeks. Riding in a car should be avoided for a couple of weeks at least.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 06-12-2005, 09:14 PM   #3
(female)

justjustine HB User
Re: walking after surgery...

just wondered what others back surgery recovery was like....

when did you ride in a car for the first time? [COLOR=Purple]as a passenger right away[/COLOR]

when did you drive again? [COLOR=Purple]2 weeks post op[/COLOR]

did you have to take pain pills like oxycodone? when did you start to taper it?
(i've started to taper mine today - i was taking 4 at a time to control the pain - yesterday i tried 3, today i took 2 at a time, with tylenol) [COLOR=Purple]Tapering is a great idea...I had to do that until I was down to 1/2 tab a day. Stopping this drug cold turkey is not always a good thing[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Purple]only continued taking the narcotics because I was having withdrawal....no pain though[/COLOR]
did hurting your back effect your appetite? when did your appetite return? (mine has been sporadic for a long time - since hurting my back in february...i do need to lose weight, so not being hungry isn't such a bad thing sometimes!) [COLOR=Purple]nope no appetite loss...too bad[/COLOR]

I started walking little bits the day after surgery...and have tried to increase it daily. I find that I get very tired, very easily. A lot of my energy is gone and I'm not sure if this is because I was laid up for so long or maybe the anesthetic. Now that I think about the appetite thing....everything tasted really, really weird for a while. Things smelt really weird too. I have heard that anesthestic does this.

Anyway, take it slow. Sometimes a need a not so gentle reminder from my family that I have just had SPINE surgery and not a tooth removed....I'm a stubborn one.

Last edited by justjustine; 06-12-2005 at 09:22 PM.

Closed Thread