It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2005, 03:10 AM   #1
(female)

bbalance HB User
side effects from facet injections?

Please someone help me. I would like to know if anyone has experienced side effects from the steroid injections in the facet joints? I had my 1st injections, June 1st and it didn't work. The doc went lower than where the pain was. After the procedure I began having lower back pain and I developed sweating episodes about 3 days later. 5 days later I had a fever followed by terrible pain. I've also noticed some weight gain, my body and face are very puffy. I had another injection on July 8 in T8,9,10,11,12 from another doc. He said it was just diagnostic, no steroids to confirm the problem. I looked at my receipt and I was given 3 injections, Xylocaine, Bupivicaine and Betamethasone, the latter being a corticosteroid. The pain is worse again, I feel puffed out (edema) : and I sweated througout the night.
Does this seem familiar to anyone? I have another injection i 3 days and I am terrified.

Old 07-12-2005, 08:24 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

kaybee HB User
Re: side effects from facet injections?

My husband had a reaction to the steroid used - Canolog (sp?). His reaction was different than your's was but still an allergic reaction about 4 days post injection. One dr. claimed it wasn't possible, the other said it was. His whole body was one big hive. Needless to say, they never give my husband Canalog anymore. I can't recall if he had sweats but he really puffed out. One dr. said that the swelling is an immediate reaction and dissipates within 24 hours. The other said it could go on for a few days. I just wish they'd all get their info straight.

You need to be sure and tell them how you reacted to the injection and that they seem to make the pain worse. The pain should have been alleviated more with each injection, instead your's seems to have become worse. A lot of people will tell you from this board not to waste your time on a 3rd shot but maybe it is necessary depending on the next step you take and what insurance will cover. I hope you are getting better!

karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2005, 08:53 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 11:11 AM.

Old 07-12-2005, 08:53 AM   #4
(female)

anomoly HB User

i had an injection in my si joint that put me in so much afterwards that i couldent move for days. the pain traveled up to my ribs and felt like someone was kicking me in back. when i would breath in i would have shortness of breath. i feel your pain. make sure that you tell your doctor about all your symptoms. good luck.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:45 AM   #5
(female)

bbalance HB User

Thanks to everyone who replied. I looked up side effects on the net ane everyone i had was listed as a side effect. I will mention this to the doc on Fri when I see him. I feel like a zombie ready to explode if that makes any sense. I wish I understood why it is so difficult to pinpoint back problems.

Good luck to all of you too.

Closed Thread