It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2005, 03:39 PM   #1
(female)

girl12345 HB User
Laminectomy/ discectomy and school!

I have another question about the laminectomy/ discectomy recovery. I am still waiting to get a third opinion about surgery and I am scheduled for a discogram in two weeks. I was wondering what the average time to be able to go back to class after a discectomy. I start classes three weeks after my discogram and if I am going to get the surgery, I will not have much time to recover. I live an hour away from the school so I will be driving a lot. Also, I do not want to miss a semester if I have could help it. i was told my one surgeon that I could go to class after a week, but that sounds kind of soon. Any advice would be helpful.

Also, how long before it would be safe to go back to work? I work as a cashier and have to lift somewhat heavy items. So far I have not had to take much time off for my back except for a day here and there and a week after the car accident. Thanks for your thoughts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2005, 06:08 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
Re: Laminectomy/ discectomy and school!

I had a Discectomy/Laminectomy at L5-S1 back in June 2004...and my Neurosurgeon told me that IF I had a desk job, I could return after 6 weeks... NO sooner... and sitting is one of the worst things you can do for your back, and especially after a surgery of this type....because they told me that when you sit it puts atleast 40 pounds extra pressure on that disc... So returning to school after a week would be way to soon... I would think probably the 6 weeks like my Neuro told me would be about the soonest you should go to school...because if you go to soon and are not careful you can stand to not heal properly..Then you are looking at more problems down the road or possibly more surgery........Also I was not allowed to drive for 2 weeks after my surgery for short trips......As far as returning to work as a Cashier lifting somewhat heavy things... my Neuro told me no lifting more then what a 12 pack of soda weighs for at minimum 3 months......of course your doctor might give you different instructions and limitations......Of course I still have not returned to work and I am 1 year 1 month Post Op, because of nerve damage from my nerve compression before I had surgery........Good Luck

TRose

Last edited by TexasWildRose04; 07-15-2005 at 06:13 PM. Reason: added info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2005, 12:01 AM   #3
(female)

cabikerchick HB User

After 1 week - NO Way. It will absolutely kill you. Also, you run the risk of re-injury. I agree with the other reply... at a minimum of 6 weeks. If you have a lot of studying to do, it'll be even worse.

Old 07-16-2005, 02:02 AM   #4
(female)

Brooke M HB User

Hey there,

I actually deffered my studies to have both my fusions because you will have trouble even standing let alone sitting and walking 3 weeks after. That said, that is the case for a fusion so it may not be as bad in your case.

After my fusion (2 months post op) i could not sit and stand too long and my lecturers were great, i explained that if i walked out it was because of my back etc and they have made heaps of exceptions for me. Everyone on the staff in my faculty knows and they even make exam exceptions and assessment exceptions. The best thing i can advise is to let your school know that you are scheduled for surgery and that you will need to have exceptions made when you return. Abide by the sitting/standing time frames though.

Brooke

Old 07-17-2005, 08:44 PM   #5
(female)

NickysMommy HB User
Question Re: Laminectomy/ discectomy and school!

[QUOTE=TexasWildRose04]I had a Discectomy/Laminectomy at L5-S1 back in June 2004...... my Neuro told me no lifting more then what a 12 pack of soda weighs for at minimum 3 months......

TRose[/QUOTE]

Hi all... I'm new to this thread and to the group as of today. I just had the same surgery as you did TexasWildRose04 - I had a Laminectomy at L5-S1 and debris removal around the disk, which was extruded. This was done after much thought and as much research as I could do in 3 weeks - as I tried the injections of steroid epidurals with no help at all. That made me EXTREMELY ILL for 2 weeks. When it came time for my 2nd shot, I told the dr what happened and he read the updated MRI which showed my disk to be extruded now rather than just herniated as before.

It has been 1 week now since my operation. I'm still using my walker, but I am getting better quickly and and now walk around for about 25 minutes before lying down again. The pain is bearable so I am not taking the pain meds unless I REALLY need it. I have a 14 month old son who is extremely active, and hope to be able to help my husband take care of him again soon. I was told the same thing as Texas - I'll be layed up for about 6 weeks. After the 1st 2 weeks I can start to drive again, and then I will begin physical therapy outside my home. For now it is in my home 3x weekly.

Now to my question/comment to any and everyone:

How long did it take / were you told it will take before you could / can do light bending and perhaps kneeling on the floor? I know I won't be able to lift my 27 lb son for a long time, but I do hope it won't be more than 6 weeks before I can get myself down to his level. I was planning to do things like I did prior to surgery - I'll change him and play on the floor in his room or in the living room, and if he should need to nap while on the floor I'll plop some pillows down there for him and just let him sleep on the floor like he does in daycare on his mat.

Right now I have more numbness and weakness in my left leg than I did prior to surgery, but the pain is better. I don't know when or if the numbness will improve, but I sure hope it does.

Please comment/reply - thanks
Nicky's Mommy

Old 07-17-2005, 09:31 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=NickysMommy]Now to my question/comment to any and everyone:

How long did it take / were you told it will take before you could / can do light bending and perhaps kneeling on the floor? Nicky's Mommy[/QUOTE]

Actually I was told after my 2 week Post OP appointment that I could bend some but not to over do it....and as far as kneeling on the floor, I still can not do that even a year after surgery because of the nerve damage and the horrible leg pain I still have, but if you can kneel, I would say probably after the 2 week Post OP as well...Are you supposed to go back for a 2 week Post OP visit? if so, ask the Doctor when you can do these things...Good Luck to ya on a speedy recovery...

TRose

Closed Thread