It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2005, 03:44 AM   #1
(male)

scartissue HB User
Question Can Someone Explain A Nerve Root Block To Me?

I HAVE TO SCHEDULE A NERVE ROOT BLOCK AT L5/S1, AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IT IS. CAN ANYONE HELP ME!

Old 08-02-2005, 06:41 AM   #2

lorry96 HB User
Re: Can Someone Explain A Nerve Root Block To Me?

Hope this helps found on a website i use

Selective nerve root block (SNRB) for diagnosis and back pain management
Another common injection, a selective nerve root block (SNRB), is primarily used to diagnose the specific source of nerve root pain and, secondarily, for therapeutic relief of low back pain and/or leg pain (see Figure 1).

When a nerve root becomes compressed and inflamed, it can produce back and/or leg pain. Occasionally, an imaging study (e.g. MRI) may not clearly show which nerve is causing the pain and an SNRB injection is performed to assist in isolating the source of pain. In addition to its diagnostic function, this type of injection for pain management can also be used as a treatment for a far lateral disc herniation (a disc that ruptures outside the spinal canal).

In an SNRB, the nerve is approached at the level where it exits the foramen (the hole between the vertebral bodies). The injection is done both with a steroid (an anti-inflammatory medication) and lidocaine (a numbing agent). Flouroscopy (live x-ray) is used to ensure the medication is delivered to the correct location. If the patientís pain goes away after the injection, it can be inferred that the back pain generator is the specific nerve root that has just been injected. Following the injection, the steroid also helps reduce inflammation around the nerve root.

Success rates vary depending on the primary diagnosis and whether or not the injections are being used primarily for diagnosis. While there is no definitive research to dictate the frequency of SNRBís, it is generally considered reasonable to limit SNRBís to three times per year.

Technically, SNRB injections are more difficult to perform than epidural steroid injections and should be performed by experienced physicians. Since the injection is outside the spine, there is no risk of a wet tap (cerebrospinal fluid leak). However, since the injection is right next to the nerve root, sometimes an SNRB will temporarily worsen the patientís leg pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2005, 06:48 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

EmtShirl HB User
Wink Re: Can Someone Explain A Nerve Root Block To Me?

I hope this helps some.

Shirl

Selective nerve root block (SNRB) for diagnosis and back pain management
Another common injection, a selective nerve root block (SNRB), is primarily used to diagnose the specific source of nerve root pain and, secondarily, for therapeutic relief of low back pain and/or leg pain.

When a nerve root becomes compressed and inflamed, it can produce back and/or leg pain. Occasionally, an imaging study (e.g. MRI) may not clearly show which nerve is causing the pain and an SNRB injection is performed to assist in isolating the source of pain. In addition to its diagnostic function, this type of injection for pain management can also be used as a treatment for a far lateral disc herniation (a disc that ruptures outside the spinal canal).

In an SNRB, the nerve is approached at the level where it exits the foramen (the hole between the vertebral bodies). The injection is done both with a steroid (an anti-inflammatory medication) and lidocaine (a numbing agent). Flouroscopy (live x-ray) is used to ensure the medication is delivered to the correct location. If the patientís pain goes away after the injection, it can be inferred that the back pain generator is the specific nerve root that has just been injected. Following the injection, the steroid also helps reduce inflammation around the nerve root.

Success rates vary depending on the primary diagnosis and whether or not the injections are being used primarily for diagnosis. While there is no definitive research to dictate the frequency of SNRBís, it is generally considered reasonable to limit SNRBís to three times per year.

Technically, SNRB injections are more difficult to perform than epidural steroid injections and should be performed by experienced physicians. Since the injection is outside the spine, there is no risk of a wet tap (cerebrospinal fluid leak). However, since the injection is right next to the nerve root, sometimes an SNRB will temporarily worsen the patientís leg pain.

1980- Transaxillary resection of 1st rib and division of band (left side)
1982- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
1985- Transaxillary excision of cervical rib (right side)
1991- Laser stapedectomy (right side)
1992- Fractional D&C
1992- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
1996- Lumbar hemilaminectomy
1999- Left knee arthoscopic surgery
2001- Laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy
2002- L5-S1 Microdiscectomy
2002- L4-L5, L5-S1 Anterior inter-body lumbar fusion with cages and my own bone from left hip for bone graft
2002- Neck problems Surgery??????
2002 DEC 21- C4-5, C5-C6 Anterior Cervical Corpectomy with Fusion and Internal Fixation (Bone from the bone bank)

Old 08-02-2005, 06:50 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

EmtShirl HB User
Talking Re: Can Someone Explain A Nerve Root Block To Me?

Lorry ~

How funny.... we posted the very same thing at the same time.

Shirl

1992- Fractional D&C
2002- L4-L5, L5-S1 Anterior inter-body lumbar fusion with cages and my own bone from left hip for bone graft
2002 DEC 21- C4-5, C5-C6 Anterior Cervical Corpectomy with Fusion and Internal Fixation (Bone from the bone bank)

Old 08-02-2005, 06:55 AM   #5

lorry96 HB User

great minds think alike, you must use the same site as me

Old 08-02-2005, 08:01 AM   #6
(male)

scartissue HB User

Thanks A Lot Guys, When I Have Them I Will Let You Know How It's Going! You've Both Been A Great Help!!!

Old 08-02-2005, 08:01 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

EmtShirl HB User
Talking Re: Can Someone Explain A Nerve Root Block To Me?

Lorry ~

Yes, I think it was the same site. I also have and I am not kidding hundreds of spine related sites with all the research I have done in the past 5 or so years. There is always something new to learn.

Shirl

1992- Fractional D&C

Old 08-02-2005, 08:02 AM   #8
(male)

scartissue HB User

Thanks A Lot Guys, When I Have Them I Will Let You Know How It's Going! You've Both Been A Great Help!!!

Old 08-02-2005, 08:21 AM   #9
(male)

frank0678 HB User

Scartissue,

The opther posts were fantastic, so I cannot add much other than my personal experience. I have had selective nerve blocks twice, once in the lumbar region and once in the cervical (neck), Be sure to have someone to drive you home, as you may have some numbness in the leg afterwards.

In case you are wondering, they are not bad as far as pain (at least to me). I had the cervical nerve root block yesterday afternoon. In fact, they did one and then went back in at a another spot, as my pain did not stop. The second gave me some relief, which is always welcome.

Good luck.
Frank

Closed Thread