It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2005, 03:22 PM   #1
(male)

stabbymcstab HB User
Tickling sensation in Upper Back around to upper stomach?!?

Hello!

I'm a 35 year old male who has been dealing with an odd set of symptoms for a year or so now (off and on). I have a bad back, with a protruding disc at the L4/L5, as well as some upper back pain and stiffness. For the last year or so, however, I've been getting intermittent bouts of a sensation that feels like tickling, and it seems to run from my upper-mid back right through to the front, just below the sternum. I've had doctor's tell me it's everything from GERD to a pinched nerve, but I'd rest easier if I knew there were others out there who have at least heard of this?

Has anyone ever experienced this? These aren't twitches or anything. Just an annoying tickling sensation!

I've had all of the work-ups (Upper GI/blood tests/EKG/etc) to rule out pretty much everything else!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 08-04-2005, 05:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User
Re: Tickling sensation in Upper Back around to upper stomach?!?

Hi And welcome to the boards, hopefully someone will read your post soon that can relate, sorry I can't and just wanted to let you know that your being heard though.
I have problems at all 3 levels of my spine but that is one symptom I haven't had though I don't think I'd mind feeling tickled, just kidding I know how frustrating it is not to have answers and wonder what is going on.
Good luck.
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 09:28 PM   #3
(male)

stabbymcstab HB User

Thanks for the reply, Linda!

Yeh, I sort of feel silly griping about something like "tickling" as I'm sure it's far more preferable than being in chronic pain!! It's just an odd thing that I'd really like to put a name to, or, at the very least, find someone else whose experienced something similiar.

Old 08-04-2005, 10:26 PM   #4
(female)

barreena HB User

I also been having upper back problems, first time I was told it was from panic disorders, depression and so on. I had it for over a month, it had gotten better for about 2 weeks and has returned. All across my shoulder blades, shoulders, the nape of my neck, even my upper chest, my arms go numb, tingle and even in the other areas I mentioned. The pain is more like burning sensations, alot of pressure when it gets worse, especially my upper spine, at times it feels like someone is pulling out the upper right of my chest muscles and shoulder. Under my arms even feel weird, below my ribs, I thought it was my heart, but I been to the ER twice, they done alot of tests, my heart and lungs are fine. I do have anxiety and panic disorders, I also battled with eating disorders , all of which I am slowly recovering from. I am taking Zoloft and Ativan for attacks. I realize I may have damaged my upper back from the eating disorders, overly working out, or did I injure myself doing tae bo, it gets to the point that I must ly down, soak in the tub and ibeprophen isn't helping much. I keep searching online and to see if anyone else has had upper back pain/problems. I am not sure if your describing that tickling sensation as more of a burning sensation, either way I know its not easy to describe and my family looks at me strange when I try to explain about my upper back problems. All I know is I am so tired of it and want to find out what I got to do, or get some advice. I am trying to mover forward in my life and this is really holding me back. I want to go to my doctor, but I have a feeling he will say its all from panic, stress and give me another prescription for Ativan. So frustrated!! Are you experiencing any of the upper back problems that I am having? Whether it be tickling, burning, chronic and then some, I hope that you or someone knows what I am going through. I do not sleep much at all and of course this doesn't help, what to do here, my doctor or a chiropractor, I just want it to go away!

Old 08-04-2005, 11:02 PM   #5
(male)

stabbymcstab HB User

I DO have back pain, but that just comes with the injury I sustained when I was in my early twenties. I also suffer from anxiety disorder and am on Cymbalta for it (new drug that does work quite well!). As for the symptoms you're describing, the GI doctor I saw kept referring to my sensation as "burning" and "pain" and, while I told him it didn't actually hurt, he insisted that these were all symptoms of GERD.

If you look at the human nervous system, the nerves that are located in between the 4th and 8th thoracic in the center of the back (lower-middle) are directly connected to the stomach (which is a bundle of nerves unto itself). So it is quite possible that both of our symptoms are directly related to this. However, the burning sensation you describe may be a result of a digestive disorder that is somehow tied to these nerves. Have you taken any of the over-the-counter PPI's, like Pepcid? They're pretty safe, and it may be worth a try! I ALSO used to suffer from GERD, but my problems were more of the reflux/bitter acid in throat variety. (as an aside, I cut down my carb intake drastically and haven't had heartburn in a year!)

As for osteopathy, I've gone to chiropractors, but actually felt that my lower back (and neck) felt worse unless I went in for two to three adjustments a week. While my insurance covered it, my co-pays were close to $60 a week, so I stopped going! LOL!

But, yes, I do know what it's like to get the puzzled looks from friends, family, and doctors when I describe my symptoms! However, on the bright side, all of the tests we've had have ruled out anything serious, so at least we can take solace in that

Last edited by stabbymcstab; 08-04-2005 at 11:09 PM.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:59 PM   #6
(male)

stabbymcstab HB User

Just want to bump this one before it vanishes!

Old 11-22-2006, 10:16 AM   #7
(male)

raffi007 HB User

I have the exact same symptoms. I've had x-rays, ultrasounds, egd, ect.. all types of test done and they tell me it's GERD or Nerve as well. Let me know if you come across anything that subsides this.. Cheers

[QUOTE=stabbymcstab]Hello!

I'm a 35 year old male who has been dealing with an odd set of symptoms for a year or so now (off and on). I have a bad back, with a protruding disc at the L4/L5, as well as some upper back pain and stiffness. For the last year or so, however, I've been getting intermittent bouts of a sensation that feels like tickling, and it seems to run from my upper-mid back right through to the front, just below the sternum. I've had doctor's tell me it's everything from GERD to a pinched nerve, but I'd rest easier if I knew there were others out there who have at least heard of this?

Has anyone ever experienced this? These aren't twitches or anything. Just an annoying tickling sensation!

I've had all of the work-ups (Upper GI/blood tests/EKG/etc) to rule out pretty much everything else!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!![/QUOTE]

Closed Thread