It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2005, 12:06 PM   #1

Common Sense Advocate HB User
Killing Nerves at L5-S1

Sorry - I am sure I will BOTCH the spelling of this proceedure and I wanted to see if anyone on here knows of this 'alternative' to fusion surgery.

My last visit to the Neurosurgeon was to discuss the Fusion and Disc Decompression surgery that so far - every diagnostic test is pointing to.

When he explained that full activity was NOT going to cause further DAMAGE to the Pars and Disc slippage.... and ONLY PAIN was creating the barrier for me to get back to full living - - I asked if there was a type of 'root canal' proceedure invented yet -

He told me 'Rhizonectomy' (sp??) could be tried first.

Very much like the Bilateral Pars Injections with the exception they take it directly TO the nerve - and use lazer/heat to kill the pain receptors.

Seems the success rate of this is not as high as the fusion.... but could be considered a real alternative to surgery [b]if it works for me[/b].

I am having problems finding info on this proceedure - - not knowing the correct spelling is a major deficit.

Would greatly appreciate anyone with knowledge or experience with this last ditch effort to avoid surgery.

CSA

Old 08-27-2005, 01:45 PM   #2
(male)

Monty44 HB User
Re: Killing Nerves at L5-S1

Radio Frequency Rhizotomy may be the name of the procedure you're describing. I'm having it done in a couple of weeks on my thoracic spine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2005, 02:25 PM   #3
(female)

o2bhealed HB User
Wink Re: Killing Nerves at L5-S1

I did not go that route, however, I have talked to people who have had it. I know 3 people who did have this procedure and for 2 of them, it worked well for a while. One of them has had it re done and the 2nd went for the fusion. My PM Dr. had told me about it and said he thought that if my blocks weren't helping (which they didnt), he'd recommend the procedure before fusion. My Ortho. said it works 50/50 and it is usually just a temporary fix. He said if I thought I could live with my pain level for a while and wanted the procedure until I was ready for a fusion we could try it. But sooner or later I would still need the fusion.

So, those are the statements I have heard from others. Do your search using "radio Frequency" on the different back and spine websites. You should find a bunch of info.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Lorie

Old 08-27-2005, 03:42 PM   #4
(female)

PeachJam HB User

From what I have been told of this procedure it is a temp fix at best. That is why the typical paitent base is in the 60-80 age range. It is typically something done when fusion is not an option due to other health factors.

Peach

Old 08-27-2005, 04:07 PM   #5
(male)

Monty44 HB User

Hey, thanks for the video web site. That was great! I at least have some idea of what is going to happen and the possible results. I noticed that they talked about an initial flare up and imflamtion of the area. Looks like I'll be "down" for a few days after the procedure. That's good to know as I have a young son. Thanks again, Monty.

Old 08-27-2005, 05:47 PM   #6

Thanks for all the replies! As I read more I am finding what PeachJam is saying seems to be 'par for the course' ....

My issue is mostly 'TIME'..... and that time involved in recuperation from a major surgery.

I've already been 'out of action' since early May..... I am a big believer in 'conservative treatments' and allowing the body to heal itself ---- but the PAIN has made me a BIGGER believer in 'get 'er done!!'

I appreciate the input given here...... I will share whatever else I find on this proceedure for those who are considering it.

Old 08-29-2005, 06:21 PM   #7

iearnmom HB User

I too am having this done in October. I was told that if it is the nerves that are causing the pain, then this procedure will work. If the pain is coming from an area that is damaged bt the nerves are reacting to the pain, then the surgery will only be a temporary fix. That is because the damaged area technically is still damaged. The pain use to take the route of the nerves that were just burned off. Soon it will find a new route to follow and then these nerves will start reacting to the pain and your pain will return. You MUST be certain that the nerves are what is damaged and not some other area. Hope this helps...... iearn

Old 08-29-2005, 06:53 PM   #8

I've researched a few websites.... it appears that some people NEED this proceedure after surgery because the nerves are just not settling down and causing dibilitating pain.

It is a pain managment deal when Narcotics are not the best answer..... many people still need to work and function - narcotics tend to blow that to pieces.

It is true - that in the case where the nerves are 'painful' due to vertabra needing 'decompression' (the scraping out of 'tissues'(?) ) that the pain may 'travel' to a higher area....

There's a lot to consider! That's for sure.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:44 PM   #9
(male)

pulary HB User
Wink Re: Killing Nerves at L5-S1

Just a suggestion here...Ask about Dynesys. For information on this do a google search. I had this done 2 weeks ago and I feel great. I get bad spasms and still have some residual nerve pain in my right leg and butt.

It never hurts to ask.
Phillip

Closed Thread