It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2005, 10:51 PM   #1
(male)

N2muchpain HB User
MRI RESULT ?? WHAT's IT MEAN?

i recently had a fall at work and had a mri done and the results read as follows, i hope someone can help interpret them.

at c3-4 moderate disc dehydration with minimal disc hieght loss and annnular bulge.
at c4-5 moderate disc desiccation and mild disc hieght loss with posterior end plate ridging, right sided uncinate hypertrophy and annular bulge.
spinal canal caliber borderline stenotic. no significant foraminal stenosis.
at c5-6 moderate disc desiccation and mild disc hieght loss with posterior end plate ridging. diffuse annular bulge and right lateral uninate hypertrophy.
there also appears to be right lateral disc protrusion,contributing to mild to moderate stenosis medial aspect of right c6 neural foramen. spinal canal caliber borderline.
c7-t1 level is normal.posterior elements appear intact.

also i have a lumbar spine mri which reads as follows:

l3-4 mild disc desiccation and mild disc hieght loss with minor annular bulge and mild anterior spurring.there is also a tiny right paracentral disc protrusion,better seen on the axial sequences. no stenosis.
l4-5 mild degenerative disc height loss with disc desiccation and mild annular bulge. additionaly,tiny central disc protrusion,without nerve root impengment.there is and excessive amount of epidural fat beginning at the lower l4 level and continuing to the s1 level. however the thecal does not appear significantly constricted.minor bilateral degenerative facet changes are noted.
l5-s1 the spinal canal caliber is copious. there may be bilateral l5 para interarticularis defects. no significant subluxation noted. the l5 disc is reasonably well hydrated and with normally maintained hieght . there is minor annualr bulge . no stenosis.

this is the results of both. could someone please help me with what it means? and how it plays in with my fall at work? im confused.
HELP!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2005, 12:04 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Losy HB User
Re: MRI RESULT ?? WHAT's IT MEAN?

Im no expert but will find others in the room who can explain your results to you. You can also use web serch engines to help you undestand the results - you could try spine universe

Good luck

Losy

Old 09-01-2005, 07:51 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

I am NOT in the medical field but I understand some of this. Some, I don't. I will share with you what I do know.

#1 Pain does not always display itself where you think it will. There is pain that reflects itself on the opposite side from where you think it comes from.

#2 Herniated discs don't always mean pain.

#3 Everyone over thirty can expect some kind of DDD, in most cases.

#4 Back pain is one of the biggest industries in the world. No one wants to be in pain. So, research carefully because there are a lot of snake oil salesmen out there.

[COLOR=Magenta]at c3-4 moderate disc dehydration with minimal disc hieght loss and annnular bulge.
at c4-5 moderate disc desiccation and mild disc hieght loss with posterior end plate ridging, right sided uncinate hypertrophy and annular bulge.
spinal canal caliber borderline stenotic. no significant foraminal stenosis.
at c5-6 moderate disc desiccation and mild disc hieght loss with posterior end plate ridging. diffuse annular bulge and right lateral uninate hypertrophy.
there also appears to be right lateral disc protrusion,contributing to mild to moderate stenosis medial aspect of right c6 neural foramen. spinal canal caliber borderline.
c7-t1 level is normal.posterior elements appear intact.[/COLOR]

When you fell, what did you land on? Your tail bone, neck, hands, chest? How you fell determines if the fall caused your injuries.

C 3/4 Disc dehydration and a bulge might be normal for your age. It is another name for DDD.

C 4/5 Another bulge, this time with arthritis.

C 5/6 Bulge, maybe a herniation, arthritis, and stenosis. Stenosis is not good. But, it doesn't mention that it is impinging on any nerves or nerve sheaths. Your spinal canal is narrowing.

C7/T1 Looks like it is normal

Your neck looks good, you might have just pulled some muscles. I would watch the stenosis, though. Doesn't look like this came from the fall. Unless you had some blunt force trauma, it looks like a sign of aging.

[COLOR=Blue]l3-4 mild disc desiccation and mild disc hieght loss with minor annular bulge and mild anterior spurring.there is also a tiny right paracentral disc protrusion,better seen on the axial sequences. no stenosis.
l4-5 mild degenerative disc height loss with disc desiccation and mild annular bulge. additionaly,tiny central disc protrusion,without nerve root impengment.there is and excessive amount of epidural fat beginning at the lower l4 level and continuing to the s1 level. however the thecal does not appear significantly constricted.minor bilateral degenerative facet changes are noted.
l5-s1 the spinal canal caliber is copious. there may be bilateral l5 para interarticularis defects. no significant subluxation noted. the l5 disc is reasonably well hydrated and with normally maintained hieght . there is minor annualr bulge . no stenosis.[/COLOR]

L 3/4 Bulge, arthritis, no stenosis. Bulge might be a herniation. Doctors play loose with interpretations between herniations and bulges.

L 4/5 DDD, Bulge, nerve not involved, thank goodness

L5/S1 Bulge, no stenosis, in fact, canal area is copious, which is good. There is no DDD there either. I have no idea waht interarticularis defect is. Might want to look that one up.

As for the epidural fat: I was told that I had none and you were told that you have an excessive amount. I am not sure of the significance of that statement.

Depending on your age, the doctor may look at the MRI and tell you that it is normal for your age and size. I have no idea. The upside is that your L5/S1 results look great!!!!! And, there is no mention of nerves being involved. Given time, I bet that your pain will resolve itself.

Again, I am not in the health field, I only knew these things from extensive net research and my own experience.

Old 09-02-2005, 08:09 PM   #4
(male)

N2muchpain HB User

in addition i must add that i actually fell from approx. 7 feet on to my tail bone area and hit and snapped my neck backwards and then the back of my head hit the ground and this caused a sort of whiplash effect.
I would still like someone with medical knowledge to address this please if you could. i didnt have these pains and tinglings and burnings before and i am afraid they are going to try to lay it off as pre-existing problems. so someone please advise me if you can. thanks...

Old 09-02-2005, 10:03 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Falling on your tailbone should have effected your L5/S1 or your SI joints and your tailbone. Looks like you made it through that without a herniation though. You might be looking at torn ligaments, which really hurt

The neck doesn't really show any damage other than stenoisis, which doesn't seem to be caused by the fall. But, you could also have trouble with your muscles and ligaments there also.

It takes awhile for ligaments to heal and is almost impossible to access the damage. They use a wait and see method with ligaments.

Do they have you in a neck brace for the whiplash? That stabilizes the muscles and ligaments.

As for the lower back, I would bet that they are looking more at soft tissue damage than discs.

Granted, I have no medical experience past my own, but I have researched my own lumbar injuries for two years and been down every road offered.

We are not allowed to offer medical advice, only our own experiences. Sorry.

I hope that you find what you are looking for. I know that it is hard to wait fo the doctor's to decipher it for us. Sometimes that just adds to the pain, the stress of waiting.

I went in the other day and told the doctor that some of my pain had returned. He asked me if I was taking any Xanax. He recommended it for stress. I was under a lot of stress because of work. I took a couple of them and the pain subsided. For me, it was tight muscles.

I had back surgery two months ago and had thought that I was home free. I too experienced a fall. I tore my ligaments. It took them over a year to figure this out. On top of that, I had scar tissue and cysts. They removed it all and I was pain free. But, the ligament damage was the worst part of the whole ordeal.

Ask your doctor about your ligaments.

Closed Thread