It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2005, 12:58 PM   #1
(female)

deenie HB User
Can thoracic back problems cause shortness of breath or chest heaviness?

I have some thoracic disc desiccation as seen on my MRI. I am now 43 and have had sporadic muscle spasms in this area for over 20 yrs. I recently went for PT for 6 wks which didn't seem to do much but the PT did comment that my rib area seemed extremely tight. Anyway, lately I've been experiencing what I can only describe as a heaviness in my chest. I don't know if it's because I'm so fatigued all the time (another issue entirely - also have a 15 mo old and 2.5 yr old child). It began a few months ago and just seems to be ever present these days. It seems like I always want to take a deep breath. Several months ago I had tingling in the thoracic area and that went away. Now I have this...any ideas? TIA.

Old 09-01-2005, 05:16 PM   #2
(female)

Tirzah HB User
Re: Can thoracic back problems cause shortness of breath or chest heaviness?

I have several problems in my thoracic spine and yes I do have the same feeling of heaviness in my chest. Sometime it feels like I have a big weight sitting on me. I also have alot of rib pain which bothers me more then the pain in my back.
Tirzah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2005, 12:40 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Harmony5 HB User

Hi Deenie,

I also have a lot of muscles spasm in my thoracic spine and have trouble
breathing and heaviness too. I can understand and it's very painful and makes you fatigued. I have a bulging disk at T11-12 but the Dr. said they
usually don't do surgery in the thoracic unless it was critical. Yesterday,
the Dr. gave me Lidoderm patches to try on my thoracic back. I didn't try it yet b/c I have a rash and that needs to clear up first. It's suppose to relax the muscles spasms. Medication I've tried doesn't seem to help. Do you find if you lay on the floor to stretch, those muscles go into spasms even more until they relax some and takes your breathe away? That's how it is with me and it also cracks like crazy. I hope you can find relief soon!

Harmony

Old 09-02-2005, 04:40 AM   #4
(male)

Ed276 HB User

i also have thoratic problems lots of chest pain when i rest it seems to stop but as soon as i do any thing bending just up moving around makes it come on hope you feel better and all i can say is pay attention to your symptoms

Old 09-02-2005, 08:50 AM   #5
(male)

Ed276 HB User

hey try google search costochondritis i had a dr tell me thats whats making my chest and back hurt but another dr told me its all from my back just a thought

Closed Thread