It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2005, 05:48 PM   #1
Inactive

Josie115 HB User
Q about numbness on front of thigh

Hello all.. I've been experiencing numbness..total numbness on the front of my left leg..thigh area. I have ddd..lumbar area the most..some spondy, some of the usual arthritis stuff, some bone spurs, etc. Have done the pt and now, just refusing any surgery until it really becomes necessary. I have sciatic pain more often in the left leg than right, although occassionally I'll get it in the right leg. The numbness seems to be more likely to happen after long periods of sitting at my desk..this morning I woke up with it..bad..it takes a good hour or so to eventually do the tingling and *****ling feeling and then it's fine. No real pain with it.

My question is what nerve is getting pinched for this to happen.? Do you think it is a pinched nerve issue?? I'm also diabetic and am in good control..haven't had any neuropathy issues that I know of..tons of other problems at the moment..but the back has always been the biggest issue. I'm on fentanyl and have been for a couple of months now. It seems to be working..on the back problems anyway..any ideas on what this is??

Old 09-15-2005, 06:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: Q about numbness on front of thigh

I'll be happy to hear the answer. I an having the same *****ly/burning sensation in my shins and top of my feet. I have just about the same dx. that you have. (DDD, 1grade spondylothesis,spinal stenosis, arthritis, bone spurs and a failed fusion and sciatica).

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Keep posting and I'll keep reading.

Lorie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2005, 08:19 PM   #3
(male)

lou-lou HB User
Re: Q about numbness on front of thigh

While I'm not a DR. it sounds like to me that somewhere depending on how high the numbness is on your leg, plus DDD , there is a nerve being touched by one of your lumbar discs. The disc must be facing backwards otherwise the nerve would not be in contact with it. Could be a slipped disc, or a degenerated disk that is touching it. Best to get an MRI and see your DR. Also it could be just from the way you are sitting at your desk, or lying in bed which puts the disk out of alignment or put enough pressure on it to touch a nerve. With DDD it could be anything.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:36 PM   #4
(male)

popeye86 HB User

hi,

i had a similiar problem to you, my Dr reckoned it was pressure on the lateral cutaneous nerve, i had an op to fix it, was only day surgery, with a small cut around the groin of all places. Apparently the pain can radiate to give siatic symptoms.

all the best

Old 09-16-2005, 03:09 AM   #5
Inactive

Josie115 HB User

Hey..thanks for the information. At times, it seems like if it's not one thing, it's another. I'll re-read the last mri report..lateral cutaneous nerve huh? How did you decide that you'd have the surgery? Was it becoming more and more of a problem? This started for me several months ago..just sort of a freaky thing..then it happened again..and again. Trying to figure out what the pattern is and if I can do something to prevent it..yesterday was the first time I woke up with it and it was the most severe...very weird feeling.

I messed up my shoulder skiing last march..broke the humerous..rotator cuff tears, slap 2, bicep tendon still attached, but man does that hurt. Also tore the tendon off my hand and just had it reattached.. never never never have I had this much pain all the time..from my dang shoulder!!! thought the back problems were enough. It makes sense if I'm sitting or sleeping (when I can) weird due to the shoulder pain. I twist weird to try to work with the computer on the right..and not being able to type with both hands at the moment..also sleep in sitting up position, but I find I end up in weird positions sleeping in the morning. No doubt something is all out of whack.

How was the surgery?? do you have improvement? how about the sciatic issues? Better?? Back surgery has always scared the bejesus out of me and the odds of much improvement have never seemed that great to risk it right now. Can you tell me more about how that works? the surgery..same day...sounds like an option I'd consider..did the numbness just get worse..pain? what made you decide to do it?? Thank you all so much for responding..this has been a great support area. Plus..there is a ton of info and experience here that you just don't get from all the docs in the world out there..

I'm going to explore the lateral cutaneous nerve...thank you again..how are you doing now??????

Old 09-16-2005, 03:27 AM   #6
(male)

popeye86 HB User

hi,

yeah had it for about 2 years and just thought it would get better, then it started to get worse, so decided to get it sorted. Decided on surgery after having an emg. The op is ok, send u to sleep and it done, had about 3 weeks off work after, mainly because i spend alot of time driving so was uncomfortable. Had relief from it straight away, but now got different problem, something to do with narrowing in spine compressing nerves. Just been signed off from work indefinatly, but as it the company that wont allow me to work cause of problems, not me refusing to work, they have agreed to pay full salary till i have recovered, which is anybodys guess how long, im looking a four months at least probably more. So that is a weight off my mind, having had a son arrive 6 months ago, couldnt afford not to get paid. Waiting for results of further test etc, but surgery is looking a likely option, dont want it, but the pain out weighs the risks

Let me know how u get on

Tony

Old 09-17-2005, 04:23 PM   #7
(female)

Mystix HB User

I too also have numbness on my left thigh. It started 8 years ago when I was walking trying to take off some weight. Sometimes it feels like pins and needles, sometimes it's a SEVERE burning sensation, sometimes it feels like ice cold water being poured down my leg, or something crawling on me. When it first started I found it annoying, but no pain involved. It just started getting to the point where it is unbearable after standing for long periods of time, or if I stand in one spot for too long the right thigh starts feeling tingly.
I just had an MRI and have 2 bulging discs (L3-4 L4-5) and also osteoarthrititis and disk degeneration.

Old 09-17-2005, 05:21 PM   #8
Inactive

Josie115 HB User

you hit it...the ice cold water feeling...the burning sensation and pins and needles..it has been happening more...I'll stand for awhile and it will start in...occassionally while I'm sitting. Not big pain or anything. Well..I do have the bulging discs..ddd etc. etc. in that area (L3-4 L4-5 and the worst is the L5-S1)...hopefully I can wait forever..I do not want any more surgery for a long long time. My back has been better the last few months, but lately..been killing me. What are you going to do about it??? I sure hope you hang in there...thanks for sharing..

Old 09-17-2005, 06:12 PM   #9
(female)

Mystix HB User

I am not sure whats going to happen with the numb thigh. The Orthopedic Dr. said my MRI showed no nerve impingement. I have been going to PT for about 6 weeks now, but it does not seem to be helping much, it makes it hurt worse. The PT and the Ortho doctor do not think it is nothing to worry about since I do not have any muscle loss or weakness.
But in my opinion if there is a numb area and pain, somethings not right. The Ortho Dr. has sent me to a neorosurgeon and to pain management I have appointments at the end of this month. The PT thought it might be the Meralgia paresthetica
Meralgia parestheticais an entrapment or "pinching" of the nerve that supplies sensation to the outer portion of the thigh. The lateral femoral cutaneous nerve becomes "entrapped" as it passes under the ligament of the groin. The pressure on the nerve causes abnormal sensations of burning, pain, and numbness in the distribution of this nerve, the outer and part of the front of the thigh.
But changed his mind since none of the techniques were working on releasing it. I hope someone figures it out soon because it makes it hard to stand for any legnth of time.

Old 09-17-2005, 07:21 PM   #10
(female)

Fancylady HB User

Hi, I have most of the problems you do. The thigh numbness on top only when I walk the pain goes up inside the thigh to groin and pain is severe. Mine is caused by a compressed nerve root at L2-3 level. I have had 4 back surgeries already and don't want more, as in a yr. or two, I'm in trouble again. I'm fused from L2 thru S1. It seems once you start having surgery there is no stoping it. I have seen another doc and he is saying I need a spinal stimulator. Well I've had the trial one, which they put in first, to see if you like the feeling. I did like it. Now I'm waiting for the implant. This doc has put me off al summer, but now says Oct. I do plan to give it a shot. If you have never had surgery, they would probably try surgeryt first, if your in pain.
Fancylady

Old 09-18-2005, 05:10 AM   #11
(female)

dust HB User

Check a dermatomes chart ot find the corresponding level on the spine to pinpoint the nerve being compromised.

Old 10-13-2005, 05:30 AM   #12
(female)

Fancylady HB User

Your problems with numbness, sound just like mine. I didn't do anything to cause it that I know of. Unlike you, I have had 4 back surgeries. My numbness starts everytime I stand up. Not olny that, but pain runs up to the groin. It gets so bad that I can't ignore it anymore. I'm having a spinal cord stimulator implanted Oct 25. You need to get some help soon. I'm not a Dr. & it doesn't mean we have the same problem. Mine is caused from L3 slipping out over L4.
Blessings,
Fancylady

Old 11-01-2007, 07:39 AM   #13
(female)

lera1959 HB User
Smile Re: Q about numbness on front of thigh

[QUOTE=popeye86;1940663]hi,

i had a similiar problem to you, my Dr reckoned it was pressure on the lateral cutaneous nerve, i had an op to fix it, was only day surgery, with a small cut around the groin of all places. Apparently the pain can radiate to give siatic symptoms.

all the best[/QUOTE]

what surgery did you have? my daughter has same thing in her groin?

thank you in advance. Lera

Old 11-01-2007, 12:43 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

My both tighs are numb - front and sides. Dr said that this is not reversable, I will have to leave with it. Before surgery just one tigh had this problem, after - both of them.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #15
(female)

boots4me HB User

I've had low back pain and left thigh going numb for about 15 years. It started out just going numb after standing for 15-20 minutes, then went numb when walking or being on my feet. Then the back pain started. The back hurts, thigh goes numb and I have to sit down. As soon as I sit the back pain is gone but it takes awhile for numbness in thigh to go away. Is this what any of you have experienced? I haven't been able to walk even 5 blocks in 10 years. There have been times my back bothers so much I can't even walk 75 ft to dumpster to dump trash and back again.

I went to a chiropractor. He said I have compressed disks in low spine and spurs. I'm 66 now. Went to him about 9 months, 3 times a week. All he did was click his stimulator or whatever they call it, in 5 places in low back. Got tired of all the trips and asked for another xray. It showed improvement but I quit going. Months later I went to an accupuncturist 7 times and got finally got some relief. At least I could walk and be on my feet a half hour without my back killing me.

I got on a healthboard about 5 years ago and one woman said to juice, and it does help. I think it probably takes down the inflammation. I've told my drs I have this pain and they virtually goes in one ear and out the other. I've never gone to an ortho dr because I'm afraid of surgery.

Closed Thread