It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2005, 03:41 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
Unhappy Severe Insomnia!!! And On Ambien! Still Can't Sleep.. Help!!!!

Hey guys, my PM Doc put me on Ambien about a month ago, to help me sleep, at first I slept ...JUST OK...I never did sleep throughout the night on it.........I am to the point now, that I have not slept maybe 2-3 hrs in the last 5 days, I have severe insomnia, have called my PM Docs office about everyday telling them the Ambien was not working anymore, could they get me something else, they (being the PM Docs nursing assistant) basically has called back once or twice and said, NO! continue the Ambien, it has started to give me restless legs at night after I take it, and it does not even make me sleep at all... its like taking a sugar pill... I am about at my wits end, I can not believe how amazingly tired I am, and still can not fall asleep... this is just horrible... I have been reading where Ambien is addicitve, and your body can become immune to it of course my PM Docs Nurse assistant, says no, you cant... which is bulls#@t.... sorry.....I have read it is not good to take longterm.. not for more then 7-10 days...and I have been on it a month now.....I am so on edge and frustrated, and dont know what to do.....Also when I called to tell them about the Ambien I told them that since they have weaned me off the Methadone, and have told me to basically take advil or aleve ONCE A DAY!!! that my pain level has skyrocketed on a scale of 1-10 to a 15, they said if your pain is that bad, go to the ER! I said NO! I will not for something you already know about and have not offered to do anything about...

Someone just please help, I am so worn out, and cant fall asleep, I have ask them to perscribe something else for me, but I highly doubt they will....but was just wondering if Anyone else has taken Ambien and if you had any side effects to it like body becomming immune to it, and this and that.... Please any and all info is appreciated...

Thanks

TRose

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2005, 03:49 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

macraean HB User
Re: Severe Insomnia!!! And On Ambien! Still Can't Sleep.. Help!!!!

Is there anything else in your life that may be keeping you from sleep? Stress depression or another ailment?

Old 09-16-2005, 04:50 AM   #3
(female)

BlackCat0034 HB User

Hi,

I am not sure what to tell you, I know my grandmother GP had put her on Ambien and it never helped her at all, she hardly ever slept. Sorry that you are having these problems.

Erica

Old 09-16-2005, 12:49 PM   #4
(female)

galpster HB User

I would stop taking it personally. When I had my fusion surgery they gave it to me in the hospital and it had the opposite effect on me it kept me awake for the first 48 hours after surgery yep you read that correctly I was awake for 48 hours straight after my fusion surgery. They said on some people Ambien can have the opposite effect and keep them awake. I was lucky and it eventually worked for me however it's not going to for you so stop taking it immediatly regardless of what your NA says.

Also call in after hours and have your doc paged it's sounds like it's the only way you will be able to talk to him directly or make an appointment.

Some things to try in the meantime:

Melanoma (sp?) This doesn't work for everyone but I have had great success with it in the pass and I have horrible insomnia I take 3 a night and I sleep pretty good about 6 hours or so which for me is good. (it says to take 1 so I would follow instructions but 1 does not work for me) Benadryl has also worked for me in the past but again not for all people.

There is a new drug on the market called lunesta that is suppose to be the new wonder drug for insomniacs I would talk to your doc about it.

Good luck in solving your sleep needs I know how bad it sucks having been down this road more times than I can count and trying almost every type of sleep aide out there.

Let me know if you want further advice....

Old 09-16-2005, 01:32 PM   #5
(female)

melinda553 HB User

I have had the same problem and I was put on Sonata and I did alot better on that than the Ambien, there are other drugs out there so do not get discouraged. Melinda

Old 09-16-2005, 01:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: Severe Insomnia!!! And On Ambien! Still Can't Sleep.. Help!!!!

Im sorry that you are going through all of this. I have also used melitona (sp?) and benedryl. The Melitona put me to sleep but doesnt keep me asleep. The benedryl workes if I takes 50 mg. My Dr. has also given me rx. for flexeril which workes very well, but it does give me dry mouth. (I switch every few days between the flexeril and the benedryl, so that I dont get immune to one or the other).

Would you be able to have your GP perscribe a sleep aide, instead of the PM Dr. I know I can call my GP and he will call in a Rx. for me, if it's for an ongoing problem that he knows about.

I don't know if youve already thought about this, but your Dr. might be willing to px. an anti-depressent w/ the side affect of sleepiness. My Dr. prefers to use m. relaxers or anti-depressents for sleep vs. sleep meds that are addictive.

I hope you find the sleep that your body needs. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers,

Lorie

Old 09-16-2005, 04:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Terri43 HB User

I'm having a problem with not being able to sleep thru the night due to pain meds wearing off in the middle of the night. I have tried every thing. Oxycontin was supposed to work because it was long acting but it didn't do anything. So I stopped taking it. now I take percocet and neurontin. Still waking up in the middle of the night. Well I tried something and I'm not saying that anyone else should do it but it is working for me. I take about 4oz of wine and ice and 7up and drink that before I go to bed and it is helping me sleep thru the night. Remember I'm not saying try it.
Terri

Old 09-17-2005, 10:44 AM   #8
(male)

Ed276 HB User

hey terri hope your doing better ? well i know that alcohol can get out of hand my brother inlaw started drinking when he couldnt get relief from the meds they had him on and it got way out of control ! i havent had a drink before this for over 10 years until lately i have drank a couple beers when it gets to where i cant handle it . i do not want to get like my brother inlaw was but what do you do if your meds dont work i have told drs that theres times my meds dont touch it but they just act like i can handle it i know im probally wrong by doing it but im not going to keep going threw this. but it helps me sleep like a baby and the next day is so much better b/c of such good rest i can do alot more and not hurt so early in the morning . do you think i should tell dr ? or could that be something w/c could cut me off?

Old 09-17-2005, 10:56 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Terri43 HB User

Ed it doesn't take much to have w/c cut you off. I don't think it is any of their business what you do. Most of the meds I'm on say not to drive while taking but they expect me to drive and work not to mention that I can't even wash my own hair and have to lay down most of the time so the pain doesn't get to bad. but they cut me off. I know that i'm not supposed to drink but the way I look at it 4oz of wine with 10oz of 7up is better then trying oxycontin again. Heck it bet there is more alcohol in cold meds. There have been times that my arms hurt so bad I have wanted to slam them into the wall. So for me a little wine is better then broken arms. I hope your doing ok Ed and good luck.
Terri

Old 09-17-2005, 11:01 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Hey There! ,
I was on the Ambien as well for over a year, I honestly don't know why, it did nothing but cause diahrrea . I asked for the new LUNESTA, it works great! But be ready for bed when you take it, I fall asleep watching TV within 10 minutes of taking 1.
You can also take up to 3mg if one doesn't work. But I am putting my word on this one, It really does work. And NEVER causes Diahrrea.
Stardust

Old 09-17-2005, 11:30 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Stardust,

My doc gave me Lunesta and no luck at all. I still lay there and stare at the ceiling. I upped it to the highest dose and still am counting sheep. I guess that it works for some and not for others. I was kinda hoping that this would be the magic bullet, so to speak.

I have not tried Ambien, but am going to give it a try next.

Lunesta only worked once for me and that is when I took four of them, but, like clockwork, I was awake within four hours and could not get back to sleep.

Lunesta is like Xanax in that if you take it, you had better be ready to go to sleep. That is, if it works. There was a woman who killed her parents while under the influence and didn't remember any of it. Found quilty, got life, but still can't remember it. Scary stuff. So, it causes memory and judgement problems. Be careful with it. The doctor warned me about it and I was all ready for a great night's sleep only to be disappointed when it didn't work for me.

But then, I usually have a paradoxical reaction to most meds.

Old 09-17-2005, 03:25 PM   #12
(female)

Fancylady HB User

I too have sleep problems. Most meds for it keep me out, about 4 hrs at best. I have taken Ambien and it did the same. I am not afraid to take it tho. As you can see, different strokes for different folks. Have you every been to a sleep clinic? When I was in the hospital once they just insisted on the test. I took it and they told me if I didn't get it under control it would kill me. Well its not under control and I'm not dead yet. If it continues see another doc.

Old 09-17-2005, 08:36 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

I'm Sorry it didn't work for you, I wish I had another idea. I only take 1mg, but I am also on 50 of Fentynal and 325 of Soma as well.
I am so sorry to hear of the women who accidently killed her parents. I was driving once and was falling asleep, didn't think I would make it home, but thanks to cellphones, hubby called me every few seconds and the sound of the phone would bring me back until I got home. Then he did the driving for awhile for me.
Good Luck, I hope you find something that works,
Stardust

Old 09-18-2005, 04:28 AM   #14
(male)

smc612 HB User

hi all----my husband started to have insomnia after back injury in may 2003. was up all night tossing and turning. dr. put him on 50 mg. of elavil for pain and sleeping. it has worked fantastically for him. if he forgets to take it he is up all night.

Old 09-18-2005, 11:04 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

I ask my Pain Management Doc who perscribed the Ambien for me, if I could try the Lunesta, because of my not being able to sleep even on the Ambien, and also I was having restless Legs, When I take it.... So she basically said, "Yes You have restless leg syndrome" Said I will up your Ambien to 2 a night and perscribed KLONOPIN which is supposed to help with the restless legs, and she said it would relax me to help the Ambien work more, but i talked to my pharmacist, and he said that Ambien is not good for long time use, and you also build up an immunity to it..... I told her this, and she basically dismissed it and just said... "Take 2 Ambien and the Klonopin..." keep in mind last visit with her, which I go on a monthly basis, they had weaned me off the Methadone for pain, because it was causing chest pain and some other stuff...and when I ask what she was gonna give me for pain or wanted me to take... she says...."Take Advil or Aleve" this is after a year or more on Methadone for horrible pain... which I still have...I was also on Elavil, and my PM Doc told me to stop taking it because she said it also contributed to the "Restless Leg Syndrome" I started the Klonopin on Friday night, did sleep a good 8 hrs on it.... took it lastnight only got about 6 hrs... hope my hours of sleep arent decreasing again.... I have an appointment tomorrow with my PM Doc for a Facet Joint Injection, which I am not looking forward to, but if this stuff isnt making me sleep, you bet they will know it tomorrow, and I am gonna tell them to give me something else....Thanks for all your input...

TRose

Closed Thread