It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2005, 06:54 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink When pins and needles turns to pain and burning in legs

Up till recently, my shins and tops of my feet had that *****ly feeling. But now, that feeling has turned to actual pain both on the top and the bottom of my feet. My shins still are the pins and needles. With the pain, I can not walk w/o the help of a cane and only short distances then. What could cause the change from the pins/needles feeling to pain?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Lorie

Old 09-18-2005, 10:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: When pins and needles turns to pain and burning in legs

Could it be more nerve compression? Or did you decrease your medications that help with nerve pain? What did your doctor say?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2005, 04:42 AM   #3
(female)

Fancylady HB User

It does sound like nerve compression or neuropathy. You need to go to the doctor and have this checked out. I'm having trouble too & they are going to do an implant on me in Oct.
Fancylady

Old 09-19-2005, 05:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

This unfortunetly is the escalation of neuropathic pain.it can actually change from one nasty symptom to another literally overnight.I have extensive spinal cord damage and this crap is always morphing into some other totally bizarre thing from another.have you actually had an MRI or some other testing and recieced a Dx of something?If not, you really do need to see your primary doc for an MRI and see what shows up.Depending on the results,he may refer you right away to an ortho doc or neurosurgeon for some more in depth testing and or treatment,It has become quite obvious here that you are indeed suffering from some sort of neuro impairment that needs to be Dxed.make an appt today and get the process started.your doc can also Rx certain types of meds to make you more comfortable.Unfortunetly neuro type pain can be very hard to treat and control just so you know.Good luck and get moving and please keep us posted here,k?FB

Old 09-19-2005, 01:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: When pins and needles turns to pain and burning in legs

Thank you guys. I put in a call to my surgeon this morning and am waiting for a call back. Yes, I have had a previous tests (MRI's and Discogram) w/ Dx. of: DDD,OA, stenosis,failed fusion, 1 grade spondlolthesis, sciatica and herniated disks. I am waiting for W/C to approve my 2nd surgery.

Does anyone know if the longer you go w/ nerve damage, the more likely it becomes permanent? I have heard this..and I am afraid the W/C are going to make me wait for the surgery. Any way, thanks for your input.

Lorie

Old 09-19-2005, 03:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Terri43 HB User

W/C doesn't care about the injured workers. They hope we go away and as far as the nerve damage. It's not them in pain and they have known for over a year that I have nerves pinched and my spinal cord has compression on it. They have had 5 doctors all say surgery to decompress the nerves but they have a doctor in Texas that never saw my MRI say that he doesn't think the nerves are involved. 2 of the best neurosurgeons in my county that they sent me to say that the longer we wait they chances the nerve damage will not improve. I just had an IME that they picked out and I still have no idea what he said. But my fiance went with me and I had no reflexes in my right arm and the pinstick test drew blood and it didn't feel sharp. So we'll see what w/c has him say. But to think w/c worries about us having permanant nerve damage. thats a joke. It's all about the money and not wanting to pay for any thing. Good luck Lorie
Terri

Old 09-19-2005, 04:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User

Thanks Terri...Good luck to you too. Hope you can get some sleep tonight.

Lorie

Old 09-19-2005, 09:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

Lorie, Yes it's very true the longer it goes on the greater the risk for permenant nerve damage, I'm living proof, I'd like to say walking proof but that gets less and less everyday.
I was a WC case also, I ended up after 5 yrs losing my claim and now live with the permenat effects of fighting a losing battle.
Not trying to be discouraging but just don't want you to end up like I am.
I just knew because I wasn't faking my injury and wasn't lying I'd win my claim, niave isn't even close to what I was.
I wish you the best of luck and do all you can to get taken care of, I hope you have very good awyer.
Linda

Old 09-19-2005, 11:05 PM   #9
(male)

Ed276 HB User

linda why if you dont mind me asking? did you lose your case

Old 09-20-2005, 04:22 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

Ed, I don't mind you asking and I'll try to be brief, it's hard to put the 5 yrs of agony I went through in a few short sentences though.
I fell at work 4 managers and a room full of employees saw me fall.
I went to all the drs ect they sent to me never complained. The drs all told me Ihad a strain/sprain I'd get better soon, nothing really major was showing up on the mrei's so they didn't believe my pain and symptoms were as severe as I said, finally they sent me for a discgram, I was ignorant about all this stuff I never had pain like this or back problems, when I went for the discgram they gave me 2 shots of morphine beforre the procedure and I passsed out on the table, the discgram was reported to be normal.So my new claim was dismissed and I had used up all my referee hearings at BWC so I was told to go further I would have to have a trial by jury.
I went to a clinic on my own and had another discgram done and found most of my problems abnormal at 2 levels and impingment of the S1 nerve,since I had to have a trial to upgrade my claim the co. I worked for would not accept any more medical records until the trial and court ordered to accept them.
Meantime my dr moved to another state and when my trail came up almost 2 yrs later I didn't have the 6 grand I needed to get the drs testimonies ect. you see the lawyers work on a commision unless you go to trial then you have to pay out of pocket expenses up front because if you lose they have no way to recoup their monies..
So I lost due to I hadn't been able to work thse yrs they had stoped my meds and medical and we ended up in bankrupcy to avoid losing our home.
Long story, sorry.
Linda

Old 09-20-2005, 05:18 AM   #11
(female)

Fancylady HB User

Hi Lorie,
I don't know if you wait longer, if you would have more damage or not. I would think it depends on what is causing it. I have a compression causing mine and they aren't going to fix it. Instead they are going to put iin a stimulator implant. All that does is change the pain only. I have had 4 back surgeries and my pain clinic doc says after 1 or 2 surgeries its called Failed Back Syndrome. In other words it just comes back in a few months anyway.
Thats what mine has done.
Fanylady

Old 09-23-2005, 11:26 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

mabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB User

Fancy Lady - Could you please tell me where a stimulator is implanted? Is it supposed to ease sciatica pain? Since I have degenerative spinal stenosis, my neurosurgeon has advised against an operation until the pain is unbearable. So far my third epidural is working, but I do realize that my sciatica could come back at any time. My neurosurgeon told me that my nerves wouldn't be damaged any further by waiting to have an operation. Who knows, though? I wonder if [I]they[/I] really know or are just guessing?
Did they tell you much about what to expect when the stimulator is implanted? Thanks.

Old 09-24-2005, 06:30 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

The longer any nerve is impinged or compressed the more likely that any of the effects you are now feeling will actually stay that way.This does affect the nerve in an adverse way so the sooner whatever is causing the impingement is done the less likely the damage will become permanent.If it is just being compressed vs impinged,the chances are much better for a full recovery.Impingement will almost always cause some sort of damage as it is possibly completely blocking the normal nerve signal,so it either becomes dead or the signal will become strangely 'altered".that is when you start getting the really bizarre neuro symptoms.marcia

Old 09-24-2005, 08:38 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User

That is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks everybody.

Lorie

Closed Thread