It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2005, 10:12 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
Going for Facet Joint Injection, In a few hours! Experiences Please!!

Hey All, Well I am going for my Facet Joint Injection in a few Hours, my appointment is at 4pm... How long does it generally take? Does It hurt, or is it basically like having a Epidural Steroid Injection?? With my ESI injections I didn't have any problems or pain during the injection....So hopefully this will be the same way.... If anyone can Give me their insight and story about their FJI....Please do so... Thanks All!!

TRose

Old 09-26-2005, 11:49 AM   #2
(female)

boobooback HB User
Re: Going for Facet Joint Injection, In a few hours! Experiences Please!!

I have had them at C5,6 and 7. It is uncomfortable, lot of pressure but it's not to bad. I did take a valium before I had it done the second time tho. I felt relief I think within a week or so. I did however have alot of spasming and couldn't use my arm about a week later. I also had some soreness at the site of the injections but all in all not tooo bad.
Good luck, you should be fine. I must add I'm a BIG baby as well and it wasn't that bad.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2005, 01:00 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

There not that bad, I didnt get anything for my nerves or anything. And Im a big sissy when it comes to needles'. Just relax,

Old 09-27-2005, 03:40 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

UPDATE! DOC DIDNT DO THE FACET JOINT INJECTION!!!!!!!! Went in and waited, they took me back did my vitals, took my info for the procedure, then the doctor comes in and says, " Have you ever tried Oxycontin for your pain?" I said no, "Look in my file..." then he preceeds to ask me if anyone has explained to me about the Nerve Root Stimulator or the Interthecal Morphine Drug release Pump, I told him yes once before that he had discussed it with me and said I was not a canidate because of my age...and he says.." Yes you are quite young and I wouldnt want to have to do something permenant like this.... but then he says , Im not doing this procedure "The Facet Injection" Said he wants me and my partner to come back wednesday to talk at length about the oxycontin, and the implantable items....and had us watch a video, I think his comments were kinda redundet to me...The thing that really bothered me was when he looked at the list of meds i have taken and said...Went down the list and named each one, one by one, Vicodin, Methadone, Keppra, Elavil, Neurontin.....blah blah blah among the many others....and for one reason or another I have had to be taken off them or couldnt take one of them because of a reaction or they just didnt help or something........and then said "Are you seriously trying to tell me, non of these drugs have helped the pain you have in your lower back, legs, and feet? I Said.... Thats right.... I kinda got a feeling like he thought I was lying to him....I told him, I thought I was in pain while on the Mehtadone, but now that I am off all pain meds, I KNOW WHAT PAIN IS!!!!!!!!!!!!! he just blew it off... and said... well you had a reaction to the methadone, so we weaned you off it... I said.... yea! I know!!!!!!!....I just felt almost like he thought I was lying about my extent of pain.... and it didnt matter...

So as it stands we go back Wednesday afternoon, and he wasnt to sit down with both of us and talk in detail about the Oxy and also the other two options the Stimulator and the drug delivery unit.....I am not at all impressed with either of of those..From the Video..... the oxy yeah maybe... but im not sure about the implants... but anyway... Thats where it stand.... Thanks all..

TRose.

Old 09-27-2005, 04:26 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Texas, I have a friend who had both, The pump tube kept falling out of the blood vessel or somthing like that, Then he had the stimulator. He looked like somthing off of Frankenstien. I wouldnt want it. My opinion anyway. The Oxy ??? If you have nothing to do all day. They cant fix the problem with surgery ?

Old 09-27-2005, 08:53 AM   #6
(female)

boobooback HB User

Wow that sounds just weird to me. The facet injections take maybe 15 mins tops or so and helped my pain the first time for a few months. The second time not so long. I then had RF to burn the nerves. I don't understand why he just would't do it.
I to have taken every med there was and to have had no relief and got very sick. Oxy is the ONLY med that I can tolerate. It makes me itch like crazy and I did go through some depression because of it but again it didn't take my pain completely away. I wouldn't get a pump, no way. I can't see why he would do a pump and NOT a facet injection, I can't figure that out at all. I mean the injections are fairly quick and if they work then you wouldn't need a pump. WOW, I'm so confused by that. Sorry if I'm missing something but you would think the injection is fairly simple procedure compared to the pump. Then if the injection didn't work then go from there.
I would push for the injection first before anything else. Yes, the oxy's might help but that is a temp. solution. And I agree with the other poster that I will not drive will on them at all.

Last edited by boobooback; 09-27-2005 at 04:13 PM.

Old 09-27-2005, 02:36 PM   #7
(female)

bbalance HB User

I have had 4 Facet blocks, and only one was sucessful, but only for 5 days, but what a great 5 days they were. I had radiofrequency neurolysis August 12 and I still am in lots of pain. My neurolgist wants me to try a drug called Traleptal. I tried Celebrex, Neurontin, Skelaxin and Ultracet. Ultracet is the only thing that either worked or I could tolerate, but it is addictive and it makes me extremely manic. You do know how addictive Oxycontin is right? I wouldn't try it.
Where is your pain by the way? I have Facet joint syndrome in T8 - T12 and the blocks were terribly terribly painful. The thorasic area ie a tough one and I have a very low threshold for pain. If you get the block aske for some xanax or valium to relax you and a phentoin lolipop at the procedure.
Good luck!
BKFREE

Old 09-27-2005, 02:36 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

notpain HB User

That's crazy, if Facet Joint blocks solve your problem that is a much better route. Drugs wreck havoc on your liver! The Facet Joint Blocks will take half hour to 45 minutes. I had C4/5/6 done. It's unpleasant but not unbearable. And if they work they usually do a Rhizotomy later. And then you don't have to take any drugs for the pain! The only real downside is over time the nerves regenerate and you may have to do it again - but that is usually a year or so down the road.

Old 09-27-2005, 08:30 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=bkfree]I have had 4 Facet blocks, and only one was sucessful, but only for 5 days, but what a great 5 days they were. I had radiofrequency neurolysis August 12 and I still am in lots of pain. My neurolgist wants me to try a drug called Traleptal. I tried Celebrex, Neurontin, Skelaxin and Ultracet. Ultracet is the only thing that either worked or I could tolerate, but it is addictive and it makes me extremely manic. You do know how addictive Oxycontin is right? I wouldn't try it.
Where is your pain by the way? I have Facet joint syndrome in T8 - T12 and the blocks were terribly terribly painful. The thorasic area ie a tough one and I have a very low threshold for pain. If you get the block aske for some xanax or valium to relax you and a phentoin lolipop at the procedure.
Good luck!
BKFREE[/QUOTE]

Hi, My pain is at L5-S1 in my lower back, back goes from lower back to hips, buttocks, legs and feet... was originally only on right, had Laminectomy/Discectomy back on June 2,2004.....Neurologist says that my pain is from having to cut away at so much scar tissue that had formed to protect the nerve where it was being compressed so badly prior to surgery....

I had no idea that Oxy was so addictive....I to have no idea why he would not go ahead with the facet injection.... My partner and I meet with him tomorrow to talk in detail and you bet I am gonna ask ALOT of questions...

I have gone throught the entire string of drugs, and like I said in another post, he acted like it basically made him mad that the drugs have not helped with my pain so far.. or I have had a adverse reaction to some of them... what have you... its not my fault, but he sure acts as if it is....

TRose

Closed Thread