It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2005, 12:35 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
Can you take Zoloft with Oxycontin?

Hey do any of you guys know if you can take Zoloft when taking Oxycontin? or do any of you take them together?

Thanks Guys

TRose

Old 10-05-2005, 06:40 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

notpain HB User
Re: Can you take Zoloft with Oxycontin?

this post is not meant to be condescending but I doubt you'll need anti depressants while you are on oxycontin. you'll be plenty doped up. no reason to change the brain chemistry any more. you're pharmasist will tell you if there are contradictions. Anti depressants don't really treat any disease so why risk it while you are on pain meds? Just make sure if you come off of them, that you do not experience physical withdrawal symptoms. I'd suggest you do a quick search for oxycontin contradictions. STRONG STUFF.

From a quick websearch: OxyContin may increase the effects of other drugs that cause drowsiness, including antidepressants, other antihistamines, other pain relievers, anxiety medicines, seizure medicines, and muscle relaxants. Dangerous sedation, dizziness, or drowsiness may occur if OxyContin is taken with any of these medications.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2005, 09:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

TWR,
I can understand your need for a AD when on a narcotic or any pain meds, in order to treat your pain better you need to be feeling good emotionally, I have fought taken a AD for awhile even though I have in the past.
I now take methadone for my LA med along with several othe meds for different reasons, I have b een having a real hard time for several yrs with being depressed and thought well of course I am anyone would be going through all this.
Then a few months ago my dr started me on cymbalta to help my nerve pain, I'm not sure it is actually helping the pain in the sense of a ain med but it is helping me emotionally and inthat sense I am coping better with my pain.
This is some info I found on usinf oxyc. and zoloft togather though.
Both sertraline and oxycodone have an effect on serotonin, a chemical that is found in the brain. Excess levels of serotonin in the brain may cause serious or potentially life-threatening side effects. Early signs of this problem include increased confusion and restlessness. Other possible symptoms may include weakness, fever, nausea, abdominal cramping, and anxiety. In rare cases, high levels of serotonin in the brain may cause severe complications like seizures, stroke, and even death. If these drugs are used together, your doctor may want to monitor you closely when therapy with sertraline is started or stopped. If you are experiencing problems, it may be necessary to adjust the dose of oxycodone or to stop therapy with either drug. Ask your healthcare provider about these drugs and this potential interaction as soon as possible.
Good luck, Linda

Old 10-05-2005, 11:29 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=notpain]this post is not meant to be condescending but I doubt you'll need anti depressants while you are on oxycontin. you'll be plenty doped up. no reason to change the brain chemistry any more. you're pharmasist will tell you if there are contradictions. Anti depressants don't really treat any disease so why risk it while you are on pain meds? Just make sure if you come off of them, that you do not experience physical withdrawal symptoms. I'd suggest you do a quick search for oxycontin contradictions. STRONG STUFF.

From a quick websearch: OxyContin may increase the effects of other drugs that cause drowsiness, including antidepressants, other antihistamines, other pain relievers, anxiety medicines, seizure medicines, and muscle relaxants. Dangerous sedation, dizziness, or drowsiness may occur if OxyContin is taken with any of these medications.[/QUOTE]

Well, I took Zoloft before when I was on Methadone for over a year for depression, and my Pain Management Doc told me to be very careful of depression again on the Oxycontin which he says it can cause...., but as far as being doped up on the Oxy, I don't feel doped up at all on it....it only makes me sleepy when I take my nightly dose and i take it with Klonopin so I sleep really well....

Old 10-05-2005, 11:33 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=jdlfmc]TWR,
I can understand your need for a AD when on a narcotic or any pain meds, in order to treat your pain better you need to be feeling good emotionally, I have fought taken a AD for awhile even though I have in the past.
I now take methadone for my LA med along with several othe meds for different reasons, I have b een having a real hard time for several yrs with being depressed and thought well of course I am anyone would be going through all this.
Then a few months ago my dr started me on cymbalta to help my nerve pain, I'm not sure it is actually helping the pain in the sense of a ain med but it is helping me emotionally and inthat sense I am coping better with my pain.
This is some info I found on usinf oxyc. and zoloft togather though.
Both sertraline and oxycodone have an effect on serotonin, a chemical that is found in the brain. Excess levels of serotonin in the brain may cause serious or potentially life-threatening side effects. Early signs of this problem include increased confusion and restlessness. Other possible symptoms may include weakness, fever, nausea, abdominal cramping, and anxiety. In rare cases, high levels of serotonin in the brain may cause severe complications like seizures, stroke, and even death. If these drugs are used together, your doctor may want to monitor you closely when therapy with sertraline is started or stopped. If you are experiencing problems, it may be necessary to adjust the dose of oxycodone or to stop therapy with either drug. Ask your healthcare provider about these drugs and this potential interaction as soon as possible.
Good luck, Linda[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your input, Yea, I will just ask my Pain management doc if I can take the Zoloft with the Oxy, I know I was on Methadone for a year and a half for severe pain and it caused some severe depression so they put me on Zoloft....but when my body started to build up a tolerence or something to the Methadone I started having really bad panic attacks, and chest pains and such, went to ER one night thinking I was having a heart attack.... so they weaned me off the Methadone.... so be careful with it as well... but again thanks for your input.

Closed Thread