It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2005, 11:32 PM   #1
(female)

Katina128 HB User
Myelogram is scheduled, what to expect?

I have continued back pain and a lot of leg pain(nerve pain), so my NS wants to do a myelogram to find the cause. I've had a MRI that was negative for reherniation, and had 3 wks of PT that was no help. My micro-D was 7-11-05 and I was better a bit for about 2 weeks, but my leg pain has increased to a point that I feel just as much leg pain as I did before the surgery, and now have horrible back pain, too. So, my question is, what can I expect from the myelogram? How bad is it? worse than an esi? I've never had this test before. I know what it is, and his nurse seemed to think it'd be no big deal, but I'm scared. I thought it was odd that the nurse scheduled me to see the NS immediately following the test. I thought you were supposed to lie down for a few hours afterwards to avoid the headache you can get. I'm having it at 8:30 in the morning, so maybe it'll be afternoon before they release me to see the dr?? I'm confused. TIA!!

Old 11-06-2005, 05:28 AM   #2
(female)

okie46 HB User
Re: Myelogram is scheduled, what to expect?

HI kATRINA,
I to am having a mylogram tomorrow at 10;30 AM the 7th, I've had fusion surgery on the 18th of last month and my back seems much better, my leg pain is killing me, so mylogram has been ordered. It is not one of my better memories, the first few minutes are the worse when they go to spinal fluid in your back to inject fluid so they do CT scans and see what is going on, the first 2 I had, they made me lie flat for 4 hours so I wouldn't get a headache and I didn't, but tomorrow I see the surgeon less than 2 hours after the mylo, so maybe things have changed since I had my last one in Feb. of this year. I'm not looking forward to it but DO want to find out why so much leg pain, and after having a HORRIBLE Discogram a month ago, nothing can be as bad as that. Good luck and keep us posted on results, hope I've answered your question.

Okie46

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2005, 08:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

Myleograms are a piece of cake compared to having a discogram without sedation. I had a few myleograms years ago and never found them to be that bad. The most importand thing being to lie flat afterwards. I think the pain of the needle going in is in all likelihood related to the skill of the doctor giving it.

Old 11-06-2005, 09:09 AM   #4
(female)

Katina128 HB User

Oh no, you too? I hope yours goes well Okie!! I have already been told that I won't have sedation. They don't do it. I wanted it, but the nurse just laughed at me. So, I guess I'll just take my percocet and valium and hope for the best. So, maybe it's not imperative that you lie down afterwards for hours? since it sounds like I won't be doing that either. I think I'll call radiology on monday to find out. Thanks for your info and good luck with yours, Okie!! If you don't mind posting to let me know how it was, I'd appreciate it!

Old 11-06-2005, 09:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

You always have to lie flat after a myelogram. Never heard otherwise. You sure don't want to end up with one big headache. I didn't need any sedation for it as I never found it that bad. But let's face it take you own stuff and at least you will be relaxed.

Old 11-06-2005, 09:40 AM   #6
(female)

Katina128 HB User

Yeah, that's what I figured about taking my own meds. I will call and make sure I'll be laid flat for a while to prevent the headache. Definitely don't need that!

Old 11-06-2005, 09:53 AM   #7
(female)

okie46 HB User

Katina,
I've decided to take my percocet and Soma before I go in as when I asked they couldn't tell me if they would give me anything or not. Yes, the 2 before,I had to lay down for 4 hours, but as I said the mylo is 10:30AM, CT scan at 11:30am, then appt. with my Dr. at 1:15pm, after seeing him, then the long ride home(100 miles), I'm really dreading the day but hope they find out something. Will let you know if possible Tuesday how it went, you post as well. Good Luck to us both.............

Okie46

Old 11-06-2005, 10:01 AM   #8
(female)

Katina128 HB User

Boy, you have a long day ahead of you. Mine isn't until the 30th, so I have a while yet to stew and worry about it. LOL

Old 11-06-2005, 04:40 PM   #9
(female)

geifer HB User

I had a mylogram a couple weeks ago. I was told to keep my head above my chest and not to bend over for eight hours or to lie down. Make sure you ask the nurse and they should give you directions on what to do. They told me that they didn't want the dye to go into the head so not to lie down. I didn't get a headache at all and I came home and slept in the chair for a few hours. Maybe they used some other kind of dye Good luck to you geifer

Old 11-07-2005, 05:20 AM   #10
(female)

catnap HB User

I have had 4 myleograms. Depending on the doctor or radiologist doing it will determine how much pain you will have. The first one I had was terrible, but the last three went fairly good with the pain being tolerable. Good luck to all of you.

Old 11-08-2005, 12:14 AM   #11
(female)

okie46 HB User

Hi Katina,
Can't sleep, thought I'd feel you in, my first 2 mylo's were painful, this guy yesterday was quick and very little pain(although I did take a percocet and muscle relaxer right before I went in) and glad I did. It was fast, so had time to go to Wendy's for something to eat, had toast 8 hrs. earlier, was hungry. They told me to go home and lay down rest of day, right, went to Drs appt at 1:15 got in to see him in 30 minutes as I was post-op(other people had waited over 2 hrs to see him, he's worth it though). He could not find a pinched nerve on the test. He shot my butt where the pain was and around the leg joint with something and it felt better. I did lay back a little in the car on the 96 mile trip home, they said headache,got home and buzzed around for 2 hours, no headache. Site hurts and can't sleep but all in all it went well. Yours will too, keep us informed and know if the person has done it alot the pain in minimum. I felt good on trip home and feel better even though they found nothing. Keep me informed on how yours went and Good Luck.

Okie46

Old 11-08-2005, 06:20 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

My myelogram is scheduled for Thursday, 11/10. I go in at 8:30 am and they told me that I would stay overnight! I laughed when the nurse told me that since all that I had read on the boards here was that you stay for a few hours and then go home and stay quiet with your head elevated and drink lots of water to flush out the dye. She said this doctor always has patients stay overnight. The work comp nurse also laughed when she heard it -- said that NOBODY has patients stay overnight anymore after a myelogram. Guess I'll have to pick up some magazines to take with me. Sheesh.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:43 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

http://www.uwmedicine.org/NR/rdonlyres/391A3021-8D69-43CC-BB6C-8E9C9CD09101/0/Myelogram3_05.pdf

This site gives a full description and what to do afterwards.

I post this because I never heard of anyone being instructed NOT to lie down as Geiffer posted. Every site I went in on instructs you to lie down with only a small pillow under your head. This is to prevent headache as the spinal fluid equalizes.

Last edited by pooby; 11-08-2005 at 09:46 AM.

Old 11-08-2005, 10:24 AM   #14
(female)

Katina128 HB User

I called my hospital yesterday and they said they don't keep you laying down anymore. So, I'll be allowed to go to my NS appt immediately afterwards. Just need to drink lots of caffeine for the headache.

Okie-so glad yours was not too bad. That's encouraging to me. I'm a HUGE chicken and hate needles with a passion. Hope you're getting some rest today.

xinerevelle-let us know how yours goes. Hopefully it'll be smooth and as painless as possible.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:10 PM   #15
(female)

catsblueeyes1 HB User

Hi,
I am new to this board but I needed to add my 2 cents, Please lay flat for at least 2-3 hours after this procedure. I have had 2 myleograms with 1 not having much pain and the other (I think this doc must have had a bad day) was painful. I was told to lay flat for 3 hours and had no problem with a headache. The second one I decided that I needed to use the bathroom so I got up after an hour and BOY DID I PAY, major spinal headache. It is really worth staying flat for a few hours. I hope everything goes well for you!
Debbie

Closed Thread