It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2005, 08:50 PM   #1
(female)

brandy76 HB User
Dr. Sarno's mind over back pain book???

Has anyone read doctor John Sarno's book: Healing back pain, the mind body connection.

I've started reading the book, but still can't understand how people can cure themselves of this "syndrome" as he calls it.

Old 12-02-2005, 09:00 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mkf HB User
Re: Dr. Sarno's mind over back pain book???

Wow, wouldn't that be great?! How much have you read and what's your opinion so far?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2005, 09:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

caszyman HB User

My daughter and I read both books, but never did see how someone with spondylolisthesis and stenosis, like she has, could benefit from this. Good luck.

Old 12-02-2005, 10:09 PM   #4
(male)

davetheplantman HB User

Mr. Sarno sells books and likes to talk a lot, but that is about all. Except to make money. Just my opinion.

Last edited by davetheplantman; 12-02-2005 at 10:13 PM.

Old 12-02-2005, 10:36 PM   #5
(male)

arcaro HB User

I believe his diagnosis, hes been doing it longer than i have been alive. i believe stress can change chemical make-up of your muscles and block blood and oxygen supply to these muscles. Its better than going with the medical field and never getting better or having any good results. I have anxiety attacks and dr sarno says anxiety is a equal to tms . I know my anxiety can give me physical symptoms , like being dizzy, chest pain, shakes etc..which is caused by stress.. why couldnt repressed emotions cause back pain?

Old 12-03-2005, 06:14 AM   #6
(female)

brandy76 HB User

When I first read it, I had back pain & was seeing 1st a chircopractor & then a physical therapist (all for 4months). All of this really wasn't helping so I decided to give it a try. It worked in the beginning, my back pain did go away. Once you realize that it can be in your mind it's amazing how things can change.

But now my back is hurting again (as in my other post about pain above tailbone), but I am weary about it being true back pain, since this pain started exactly the same time last year in December, two weeks before I take vacation for the rest of the year from work!!! Maybe there is a connection but why would my upcoming vacation (where I stay home) be causing me stress!!

It's just hard when the pain comes back again to try & tell yourself that it's in your mind, but hey if Percocet & Muscle Relaxers (Flexeril) aren't working then maybe it is.

Last edited by brandy76; 12-03-2005 at 06:16 AM.

Old 12-03-2005, 07:40 AM   #7
(male)

arcaro HB User

one thing i noticed, you really have to understand and believe it 100% to get results. holidays always trigger stress, its suppose to be a happy perfect time. but it always ends up like a performance. i noticed my pain was higher when im mad or fighting about something. the thing that i dont get is how the human back just all the sudden went to hell. how could it be so weak. dont sit, bend, walk, twist, jump, run...or anything else your back was designed to do and you'll be ok ....lol what a joke .. and then the fact that doctors have no idea if bad disc cause pain or not. I think our society programs us like walking zombies. it doesnt help that there answer for everything is here take these and go to pt, hmm didnt work......? scalpel!! hmmm still pain?? must be scar tissue pain now ..uhhhh

talk about making money..... big difference than a 10 dollar book.

Im doing the same as you. (not believing) i went to see a chiro yesterday. which reinforced the fear..I went cause my hip is still higher on one side than the other, he said have fuctional scoliosis because of the muscle spasms have pulled my back out into the shape of a s, he said he'll have me back to action by spring! I was like hmmm, 3 months x's $35 a visit so it should only cost me 1660. dollars..I also think the back would relax and go back to normal by itself. If I could relax and stop obsessing on it ! I really think that how I got hurt was I was fighting the day it happened, I have just sold my house and have moved back in with my mother with my girlfriend and daughter..(little stressful) while I was looking for another house. I was so tense when I lifted that machine, I instantly had a insane back spasm that brought me to my knees. that was back in june...I honestly believe my bulged disc's where already there and are normal too have at 36. but i went on the medical rollercoaster and 5 moths later ..Im still riding .. well i should stop talkng about it .....it makes my back hurt

ya i think Dr Sarno has a point .

Old 12-03-2005, 09:04 AM   #8
(female)

brandy76 HB User

Will a heating pad help with the stiffness???? because even after stretching & doing cardio it still hurts very bad

Old 12-03-2005, 10:47 AM   #9
(male)

arcaro HB User

it only helps me while im lying down, for pain

Old 12-03-2005, 07:31 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

funkyfingers HB User

Brandy76, if you are truly doing Sarno's theory, than heat, massage, back exercises are all placebos. Sarno is saying that the tension that we put on ourselves is causing the pain. Therefore all physival treatments will not work, unless they cause a placebo effect.

Old 12-04-2005, 08:24 AM   #11
(female)

brandy76 HB User

[QUOTE=funkyfingers]Brandy76, if you are truly doing Sarno's theory, than heat, massage, back exercises are all placebos. Sarno is saying that the tension that we put on ourselves is causing the pain. Therefore all physival treatments will not work, unless they cause a placebo effect.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, yeah I figured that was the answer. But what about pain releivers, I recall in one part of the book he says to take a pain reliever when the pain is too much to take.

This is where I get confused, if you feel relief from medication is that a placebo effect also? (why would he recommend that) And since it really is the muscles tightening up why won't massage help?

Old 12-04-2005, 02:53 PM   #12
(male)

arcaro HB User

[QUOTE=brandy76]Thanks, yeah I figured that was the answer. But what about pain releivers, I recall in one part of the book he says to take a pain reliever when the pain is too much to take.

This is where I get confused, if you feel relief from medication is that a placebo effect also? (why would he recommend that) And since it really is the muscles tightening up why won't massage help?[/QUOTE]

yes pain killers are ok, it helps you get threw to help you ignore the symptoms your brain ( inner anger/rage ) are creating. not the anti imflamitories cause there is none. massage is making you think physical
( which its not ) the pain generated from the brain. massage is just treating the symptom and not the cause. you will need to shift your your thinking from physical abnormality/pain to emotional issues. think psychological not physical.

Old 12-05-2005, 03:03 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

funkyfingers HB User

[QUOTE=arcaro]yes pain killers are ok, it helps you get threw to help you ignore the symptoms your brain ( inner anger/rage ) are creating. not the anti imflamitories cause there is none. massage is making you think physical
( which its not ) the pain generated from the brain. massage is just treating the symptom and not the cause. you will need to shift your your thinking from physical abnormality/pain to emotional issues. think psychological not physical.[/QUOTE]

Yes, painkillers are fine. It's the treatments that focus on treating physical, like yoga, P.T exercises, chiropractic, osteo, massage, bracing, surgery, etc. If you have been ruled out for serious disease then Sarno's theory is what I would stay with. It's hard to get in there and face the truths about yourself, but the benefits will far exceed the work.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:03 PM   #14
(female)

brandy76 HB User

[QUOTE=arcaro]yes pain killers are ok, it helps you get threw to help you ignore the symptoms your brain ( inner anger/rage ) are creating. not the anti imflamitories cause there is none. massage is making you think physical
( which its not ) the pain generated from the brain. massage is just treating the symptom and not the cause. you will need to shift your your thinking from physical abnormality/pain to emotional issues. think psychological not physical.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all your help, last night was very difficult, but I resisted using the heating pad and just went about my business as much as I could (even though I was walking lopsided!!).

So today, I woke up extra early thinking I would have to give myself more time, since I had a hard time (over the weekend) putting on my socks & shoes. But I actually felt 90% better. I went to work, and now that I'm home everything feels back to normal like it never happened.

I wonder if being home on the weekend mentally made the pain worse, since that's all I kept thinking about, at one point even crying in bed because I had to call my boyfriend to help me get out of it. This is some crazy stuff!!!

Old 12-06-2005, 07:11 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

funkyfingers HB User

[QUOTE=brandy76]I wonder if being home on the weekend mentally made the pain worse, since that's all I kept thinking about, at one point even crying in bed because I had to call my boyfriend to help me get out of it. This is some crazy stuff!!![/QUOTE]

That's the pains job, is to keep you focused on it and your body. Instead of what is really going on. If you have read Sarno's books do you see yourself in them?

I am the goodist, worrier, put a lot of pressure on my self to succeed, if I helped someone, I wondered if I did enough, etc.

Closed Thread