It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2005, 03:12 PM   #1
(male)

proboy74 HB User
Differing Opinions On Post-Op Bracing!

Why can't docs agree on bracing??I am right now six weeks post-op for a 360 fusion l4-S1.....I've heard so many say the brace must be worn at all times except for showering and sleeping. My surgeon said I only need to wear mine when I leave the house. I trust his decision but there's always a little doubt that pops up in the back of my mind every so often and it's very frustrating...anyway enough rambling....I just wish everyone could be on the same page....

Last edited by proboy74; 12-13-2005 at 03:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2005, 06:21 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
Re: Differing Opinions On Post-Op Bracing!

proboy74,

Doc's will always differ, just like mine did not brace following any of my surgeries, including the 10 level fusion. He instructs on not bending, etc., but said bracing would weaken the muscles and we didn't need that.

Guess as long as there are different ways of doing surgery such as the 360 vs one entry like I had, there will be differences in the way all other areas of medicine are practiced, but that's good. We as individuals are so different, and each of our bodies respond so differently to the same medications, the same surgery, scarring, etc., that it is good that there is more than one way to get a good result. Does make it a challenge when we are selecting the doc and their approach that we feel will work best for us, but aren't you glad that we can?

Hope your recovery is going great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2005, 07:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

caszyman HB User

Proboy,
My daughter had a fusion L4-S1 in June. Just like Quietcook, her surgeon does not believe in bracing post op. He told us that's what the hardware is in there for - to keep the spine in place. She also had the no bending, lifting or twisting rule for six months. She just had that lifted Sat. and has begun some bending and twisting. Good luck.

Old 12-14-2005, 12:26 PM   #4
(female)

confusedpatient HB User

Ditto was others have stated, no brace, restrictions on BLT. Just found out that I'm fusing at 9 weeks. Good luck to you.

Carol W.

Old 12-14-2005, 01:11 PM   #5
(female)

Fancylady HB User

Proboy 74,
if you don't feel the need for a brace & doc says only when you go away from home, then thats what you should do. I've had pain for 15 yrs. and I've had 3 doc's. None care either way. I do wear one most of the time and you get so you can't go without. It's hot in the summer & I'm always needing new one's.

I wear one because I take less meds if I keep it on. I am in pain & it helps. I would not tell someone else to tho. I have had 5 surgeries. Last one was a Spinal Cord Stimulator Implant. It doesn't even take care of all the pain. So do what your Dr says. I wish you the best of luck.
blessings,
fancyface

Last edited by Fancylady; 12-14-2005 at 01:13 PM.

Old 12-14-2005, 02:45 PM   #6
(male)

proboy74 HB User

Thank you everyone for your replies......I guess it all depends on each individual case and what the doctor has experienced with bracing and the procedure that was done......I guess the main reason I was concerned was the fact that I haven't been out of the house except for maybe two short trips to the store with my wife, so if you follow the bracing rules of my doc that doesn't warrant using the brace much at all...lol....I do have to say that I feel great with respect to my back. At this point I occasionally have some pain flare ups with weather changes and when I do too much so I think that it's much better than can be expected at this point in my recovery. That being said, I need to be careful and not let that influence me to do something that might cause a setback.......My doc wants to start me on PT hopefully by the end of this month so I can look forward to that and more progress which will lead to a better sense of normalcy.....Take care everyone

Old 12-15-2005, 09:22 AM   #7
(female)

okie46 HB User

As they said, all Dr. are different, I did have brace for 6 weeks, worn except in shower and sleep, BUT my Dr. does not believe in Physical therapy, says it tears up what he has just done. If you trust your Dr., do what He says, doesn't matter what others say. Good Luck

Okie46

Old 12-15-2005, 12:23 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

I has a couple of fusions two different docs both with a brace.
The last two level 360 I had a brace from my thigh to my chest.
He explained that it is to hard to comply with the limited movement without forgetting once in awhile and twisting or bending too much. He stated even a shift in the pelvis(reason for it going down the thigh) could mess it up.
He is a conservative doc who specializes in revisions and says always go the extra mile just in case.
I think it is just doctor preference also.

However please be careful and dont twist. It can be as simple as turning slightly in the car to speak to someone in the back seat and you dont realize how much that shifts your spine.

Good luck
Lisa

Closed Thread