It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2005, 11:06 AM   #1
(female)

dreampony HB User
Exclamation Post Fusion surgery Searching for answers

Hello

My first time here.I am searching for answers.

All I know about my surgery is that it was a posterior T-11 L-3 Fusion. In early october I was thrown from a friends horse and as I flew through the air I heard a crack and knew I had a problem.

I went to the hospital via helicopter(sorry I missed the ride)they said I had 2 fractures ,gave me a brace and sent me home to recover. 4 weeks later and my first appointment I told my doctor about some odd symptoms.He said he was concerned and sent me for another MRI.Turns out that my fracture was deteriorating and pressing on my spinal cord.In short I needed surgery.After my first surgery I developed horrendous headaches and after 3 days of bedrest they said I had a hole in the lining of my spinalcord and was leaking spinal fluid.Next day another surgery. Finally after sufficiant recovery in hospital they sent me home.

I have my first docs appt tomorrow, I know what to ask but hes not too forthcoming with good answers. I can say this has been the most painful thing that I could ever imagine from painful MRIs to aweful surgery and mean nurses.Please someone tell me what can I expect?

I have read many posts but no one has had surgery for a traumatic injury, only chronic problems.I need some insight.Thanks

Dreampony

AKA- AnnMarie

Old 12-14-2005, 12:36 PM   #2
(female)

Fancylady HB User
Re: Post Fusion surgery Searching for answers

Hi Dreampony,
I haven't had anything like you have. But I have had 5 back surgeries, so I know a little about pain. Yes, they are very painful. i can think of one that was so painful, they had to take my room mate out in the middle of the night. I know I carried on, but I had had 3 fusions & the epidural they gave me was short lasting.

You did the right thing. It is serious to lose spinal fluid. I'm so sorry you had bad nurse's & there's no doubt in my mind the surgery was painful. I would write it down what you want to ask. I think you might get some plain xrays. Doc's like to keep checking up on you. They won't hurt one bit. Your Dr should have questions for you! They usually want to know what you can or can't do & a good Dr will ask if you have questions. The Dr might have you get up on his table & he will test you reflexes, might have you lay down & raise your legs. Just to see what you can do. The appt. won't won't last to long, so don't worry. If you have a concerned friend or mate it would be wise to have them come in with you. Hope I've helped. Stay Positive, OK
Best Wishes,
Fancylady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2005, 03:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: Post Fusion surgery Searching for answers

I am sorry you are going through so much. I did not have anything as serious as you, but I do know that often one back problem leads to others. I fell and fractured my spine in 2 area and since then..I have had herniations and and DDD which was accelerated by the fall. I know it is so frustrating and sometimes feels like it's a neverending situation. I have found it helpful to type up a one page summary of what my symptoms are, what I can and can't do, Meds. I take and side affects and any questions I want to discuss. (I type a header in bold, above each list [symptoms, activities, meds etc] so that it is easy for the Dr. to look through). Then I give it to the nurse that takes me to the room and ask her to put it with my records. That way, when the Dr. comes to see you, he has already read it and knows what has been going on and what you want to discuss with him. My Dr. really appreciates it and I leave there knowing that I did not forget toask anything.

Good luck and keep us posted,
Lorie

Old 12-14-2005, 04:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User
Re: Post Fusion surgery Searching for answers

Lorie, that's an absolutely wonderful suggestion; especially for anyone who is somewhat intimidated by doctors. My doctors and I know each other pretty well, but I sure wish I had done something like that years ago when I first got started on this journey.

Ann-marie, try taking someone with you to the appointment. You will usually find doctors more willing to talk and answer questions when there is a "witness" so to speak. Do not let him walk out of that room until you have the answers to the questions you ask. That is your right. Remember, HE is the employee. You are paying him...that makes you the 'boss'! If he starts to leave, you have to be assertive enough to stop him. You deserve to be treated with respect.

Good luck, welcome to the forum, and please let us know how the appt. goes.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 12-15-2005, 11:27 AM   #5
(female)

dreampony HB User
Smile Re: Post Fusion surgery Searching for answers

Hi!

Well thats everyone for all the support.I feel very welcome already.

My appt was ok today and I told him about the aweful pain Im getting in my right leg.He looked at my xrays and said I have a bulged disk from all the trauma.Yippee! more injuries!lol Said well wait and see what happens.
Can anyone tell me how rare it is for those things to right themselves.I really cant face another surgery.

I am sorry we all had to meet under these circumstances but Im glad we met and look forward to many more informative discussions.Thanks for all the help and wonderful ideas so far!

Dreampony

AKA AnnMarie

Closed Thread