It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2005, 11:20 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
Question On Oxycontin, lost COBRA Insurance, it ran out...Oxy is expensive.

Hey guys... its been a while since I posted on here... Ive been on 40 mg Oxycontin 3 times a day for the last couple months and on a good day it keeps my pain level to about a 5-6.... but when I get very active, my pain level definately shoots up....but anyway... The problem I am having is.... I was on COBRA Insurance and well my 18 months is up and my insurance cancelled... I cant get other insurance because all the other medical plans say pre exisiting conditions you have to wait 12 months... So my problem is.... I have to go to the doctor once a month... for my follow up visits to get my perscriptions refilled....and then have to get the Oxycontin refilled.... My delima now is, since I have no Insurance how I am gonna go to the doctor for the visit for the refill script, and also be able to get my script filled... Oxycontin is one of the most expensive narcotic meds out there.. its over $200 each refill....with insurance it was about $40.....So unless someone has a suggestion of what I can do looks like Im gonna have to pay $75 for the doctor to see me and write me a script... and then $200 to get it filled... so pushing $300 in one visit for office visit and meds... thats horrible, since I am on limited income with my SSD....not eligible for Medicare until Sept. 06......If I cant keeg going to the doc, I will be back in KILLER pain all the time without my meds..... and also MetLife and SSD will not keep paying me without updates from my doc...Im just not sure what to do... Some input would be great.. Thanks Ya'll.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2005, 04:16 AM   #2
(female)

Katinthebag81 HB User
Re: On Oxycontin, lost COBRA Insurance, it ran out...Oxy is expensive.

A lot of the drug manufacturers have plans to help people who can't afford their Rx's. I would let my doc know about the problem & see if they can hook you up on one of these plans. If you know the manufacturer, do a search for their website & maybe they will have info there.

good luck,

Kat

Last edited by Katinthebag81; 12-18-2005 at 04:18 AM.

Old 12-18-2005, 08:06 AM   #3
(female)

Midwest-JD HB User

Hi Kat - So sorry you're facing this kind of dilemna. Besides the drug companies' programs, do you suppose your doc could switch to every-other-month visits for the next few months (however long it will be until you have coverage again) Maybe if you explain your situation, and how hard it is for you to have that expense, he'll consider going to ever-other-month until you have your medicare coverage... My dr. lets me come every 2-3 months now, and writes scripts and mails them to me on "off-months" (when I don't see him). He post-dates the scripts for when refills would be due. (If I understand things right, this was against FDA rules at one time, but isn't anymore...??)

Another suggestion - Have you ever had a trial of methadone? That is what I take now (I used to take oxycontin), and *for me* the methadone works much better, and it is a LOT LOT LOT cheaper! (around $14/month, for 60mg/day) It does tend to make you a bit more tired that oxy, but that does improve quite a bit after the first week or 2.

I hope things work out for you, some way.

JD

Old 12-18-2005, 12:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

I was also going to suggest a switch to methadone. It is very inexpensive and when it works, it works very well. You have to start at a low dose and work your way up, so it may take some time to get where you need to be. You can take the methadone, and use something else for breakthrough pain as well. I was only taking 5mg, 3xdaily with Lorcet 10 mg for bt and did very well. I had been taking 40mg of oxy 2xdaily and found the methadone to be every bit as effective even at the low dose I was on. Not everyone can get by with such a low dose, but it can be slowly increased.

Good luck. I'm sorry you are running into so many problems. This country really needs a fix in the health care dept!

Carol
morphine pump

Old 12-18-2005, 09:59 PM   #5
(female)

mink HB User

Dear TexasWildRose,
I found this on another Board maybe this info will help you. So here it is.
This site helps individuals with chronic health conditions with assistance programs for medical needs and personal emergencies. They have also informed me of several other programs to help uninsured or underinsured individuals with chronic health problems. First, there is [url]www.uneedpsi.org[/url]. This organization helps individuals PAY health insurance premiums (including COBRA and high risk pool plans). They will also help pay copayments. Also, I found one more:[url]www.netwish.orgThis[/url] is a non profit organization that likes to grant "wishes" for up to $500!! Can you imagine? Anyway, these organizations are here to help people who fall through the cracks. Also, you can contact the manufacturer of any medication directly and see if they have a patient assistance program. The patient advocate foundation ([url]www.patientadvocate.org[/url]) offers assistance with just about any kind of crisis. They also have info in dealing
with social security disability applications! [url]www.uneedpsi.org[/url] Hope this helps. Mink/Marlene(you helped me before)

Old 12-19-2005, 05:54 AM   #6

rabbitbunnies HB User

Hope You will reply to this . I also have been on corbra . my husband got this thru his employment but he is not long with the compant . and like you I am also on OXYCOTIN ...among seral other meds ..I take 2 80mg 2xs aday ...Here what you can do is reply to this Ill will give yOu some infromation about getting your oxycotin covered if you qualified thru their network .....I don't but maybe u do . I live in a state that I hate .. whish we were back home . their laws about meds were ok but here sucks !

tc / god bless and their is another drug you can tell your doctpr about . you can get the perscritpion /plus coupons for them free if u have a nice doctor are u going to what kind of doct?

Last edited by moderator2; 12-20-2005 at 08:36 AM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules

Old 12-20-2005, 09:30 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=Midwest-JD]Hi Kat - So sorry you're facing this kind of dilemna. Besides the drug companies' programs, do you suppose your doc could switch to every-other-month visits for the next few months (however long it will be until you have coverage again) Maybe if you explain your situation, and how hard it is for you to have that expense, he'll consider going to ever-other-month until you have your medicare coverage... My dr. lets me come every 2-3 months now, and writes scripts and mails them to me on "off-months" (when I don't see him). He post-dates the scripts for when refills would be due. (If I understand things right, this was against FDA rules at one time, but isn't anymore...??)

Another suggestion - Have you ever had a trial of methadone? That is what I take now (I used to take oxycontin), and *for me* the methadone works much better, and it is a LOT LOT LOT cheaper! (around $14/month, for 60mg/day) It does tend to make you a bit more tired that oxy, but that does improve quite a bit after the first week or 2.

I hope things work out for you, some way.

JD[/QUOTE]

Hey JD.... actually Yes, I have already taken Methadone, took it for over a year...my body built up a resistance to it...I have tried about any narcotic pain med you can name....Methadone is infact one of the cheapest narcotic pain meds out there... unfortunately Oxycontin is one of the most expensive....

As far as your question about seeing my doc every other month... No... they will not do that... has to be every month because to get the Oxy script written I have to see him, the FDA will not allow the script to be mailed, or post dated, it is very controlled, so I have to go every month, and the script has to be filled within 7 days or I have to go and have another script written...from what I know, FDA laws and regulations are more stiff now then they used to be, and I hate to say it, but what you doc is doing I would guess to say is against FDA regulations too... dont know for sure... but I know they are very firm.... My doc tried to write me a 3 month supply script for my Oxy and when I took it to fill I was told no they could not do that, it was against FDA regulations....As far as how long it will be before I have coverage again, I am probably looking at until Sept. 06 when my Medicare takes effect, because no other insurance will cover me, because of my pre-existing condition... unfortunately.

Thanks for the suggestions though...

TRose

Old 12-20-2005, 09:37 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=carol632]I was also going to suggest a switch to methadone. It is very inexpensive and when it works, it works very well. You have to start at a low dose and work your way up, so it may take some time to get where you need to be. You can take the methadone, and use something else for breakthrough pain as well. I was only taking 5mg, 3xdaily with Lorcet 10 mg for bt and did very well. I had been taking 40mg of oxy 2xdaily and found the methadone to be every bit as effective even at the low dose I was on. Not everyone can get by with such a low dose, but it can be slowly increased.

Good luck. I'm sorry you are running into so many problems. This country really needs a fix in the health care dept!

Carol[/QUOTE]

Hi Carol, Yes... I have already taken Methadone, took it for over a year... my body built up a resistance to it... when they took me off of it I was taking 20 mg 3x a day and it took my pain level to a 8 IF I was lucky... as far as the Oxycontin I take 40 mg 3 x a day and it knocks my pain level to a 5-6 most days...if I get very active my pain level jumps up...I have taken about every narcotic pain med you can name, my PM Doc actually told me that the Oxy was almost my last chance as far as meds to help control my pain... unfortunately it had to be the most expensive one to contol it... but thanks for the suggestion...

Thanks,

TRose

Old 12-20-2005, 09:50 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=rabbitbunnies] Hope You will reply to this . I also have been on corbra . my husband got this thru his employment but he is not long with the compant . and like you I am also on OXYCOTIN ...among seral other meds ..I take 2 80mg 2xs aday ...Here what you can do is reply to this Ill will give yOu some infromation about getting your oxycotin covered if you qualified thru their network .....I don't but maybe u do . I live in a state that I hate .. whish we were back home . their laws about meds were ok but here sucks !

tc / god bless and their is another drug you can tell your doctpr about . you can get the perscritpion /plus coupons for them free if u have a nice doctor are u going to what kind of doct?[/QUOTE]

Hi, I am going to a Pain Management doctor, have been going for 2 years now... I take 40 mg 3 x a day Oxycontin....My doc said they have some sort of program through that can help pay for the Oxy, If I qualify... but thats the thing.. If I qualify....Thanks for the response...

Good luck to you too...

TRose

Old 12-21-2005, 06:12 AM   #10

rabbitbunnies HB User

[QUOTE=TexasWildRose04]Hi, I am going to a Pain Management doctor, have been going for 2 years now... I take 40 mg 3 x a day Oxycontin....My doc said they have some sort of program through that can help pay for the Oxy, If I qualify... but thats the thing.. If I qualify....Thanks for the response...

Good luck to you too...

TRose[/QUOTE] you are very much welcome

Closed Thread