HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Back Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/)
-   -   Degenerative Disc Disease..... (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/350103-degenerative-disc-disease.html)

rabbitbunnies 12-19-2005 05:18 AM

Degenerative Disc Disease.....

[COLOR=Blue]Hi , Who is experience with the chronic desease of the DEGENERATIVE DISC DESEASE ... I have the desease and I was just wondering anyone esle has this and what they signs that they have please reply and prayers are with ever one thanks [/COLOR]

zephyrqueen 12-19-2005 08:19 AM

Re: Degenerative Disc Disease.....

Hello there rabbitbunnies :wave: Welcome.
So you have DDD too huh? When were you diagnosed or how long have you had it? Have you had any MRI studies done?
I have had this since my mid 20's. It's going on 12yrs now. It's only gotten worse. I have morning stiffness and deep bone pain. The deep bone pain is in my lower L-5/S1 area which is the most SEVERE. That disc is amlost completely desicated. I'm currently awaiting total disk replacement at this time. I also have some DDD about my L-2,3 and 4 area. As well as my T-10 area. I also have early Multi level DDD in my C-spine. As well as nerve degeneration at my C-6/7 level. I can tell you from experience that the signs would be morning stiffness that last more than a few hours, that does not dissapear as the day progresses. If you have back pain that worsens in the evening. Or pain that is not relieved by OTC meds : Tylenol, Motrin, Ibuphropin. Also if you do any sort of stretching that does not help or hurts you then..PLEASE speak to your doctor immediately! Also if you experience any type of radicularpathy as well. Sometimes DDD is associated with Sciatic problems as well as Sacroiliac Joint problems. Mostly I can say that DDD effects the lower spine. The neck being in second place. Lastly I must say that if you have had an MRI study and it was inconclusive...ask your doctor about a Mylogram or discogram. Especially if you are in any extreme pain. Take my word for it. I wish I HAD!! Mine wouldn't have progressed to the point it is now. Neither test are pleasant but they are extremely ACCURATE!!!
I hope you are getting some treatment for your DDD. I try a hot bath because I don't have access to a heated pool. Which by the way is EXCELLENT because it's non wieght baring on the joints. Good luck and keep me posted on how you are. :angel:

calliesmom 12-19-2005 09:17 AM

Hi rabbitbunnies...
I was diagnosed with DDD in summer of 2004 after having back problems for years. I did the chiropractor route before I had a diagnosis, which only made me worse. Therapy that involved a lot of stretching put me in a lot of pain. I tried yoga too, but my muscles would go into spasms. I have an ache in my lower back and a deep burning that has gotten considerably better in the last few months. I have to be very careful about which way I bend...the lower back muscles can really go into spasms. No OTC meds work for the burning pain...I take Norco for that. For me, surgery is a last result....I've had 2 epidural injections...the first one really helped, but the second one just made things worse. By the way, I had a discogram that gave me a diagnosis. The MRI didn't show how much the discs were dessicated.

Good luck and take care.

charliecat31 12-19-2005 09:30 AM

:wave: I am a fellow sufferer of DDD. L3-L4, L4-L5 and L5-L6. I've also got some bulges and tears. I've had MRI's, CAT Scans, PT (made it worse), Epidurals (helped for a couple of weeks), IDET (two levels, both failed), numerous oral meds, 3 Discograms and have been told by a surgeon that my discs are too bad and there are too many for me to be a candidate for fusion surgery. My last option was to have an implanted pump put in that delivers morphine straight to my spine. It's been helpful enough to get me off oxycontin, but I still take oral narcotics for pain 3-4 times a day, sleeping pills, muscle relaxors and an antidepressant.

I'm in so much pain on a daily basis that most of my time is spent in bed or a recliner. I can't drive because of the pain and the meds and have to rely on my husband, friends and family if I want to go anywhere. I was finally granted Permanant Total Disability from W. Comp this past spring and am still waiting on a hearing for Social Security. It's been a very long 6+ years, but I've come to accept that this is my life, for better or worse.

I have pain in my low back, butt, left leg down to the calf, my toes curl on my left foot. The pain varies from dull to achy, sharp, burning, bruised feeling, etc. I can't sit for long, can't stand or walk for long.

Has your doctor given you any options of what to do? If I can answer any questions or offer any advice or you just need to vent, let me know.

Take care,
Dee

zephyrqueen 12-19-2005 03:17 PM

Dee and calliesmom, I'm in the same boat with you as well. There are some times that I can't even roll over in bed because of my back. If I arch it just the wrong way, I just cringe in pain. The L-5 is almost completely gone. It's rubbing bone on bone. I have NO narcs that get rid of my pain. Also, rabbit bunnies if you have any more questions or want to vent feel free. I've been there have the t-shirt....believe me after 12yrs of this, it doesn't get any better. Also, you never really build up a tollerance either. I've had multiple treatments and meds and NOTHING helps anymore. I just don't know WHAT to do. I'm suposed to have a total disk replacement because they can't fuse. Too much DDD. Plus the Osteopenia in my lower spine. The bone density is to low. I too can't even do the stretching or yoga. It's an effert just to lean over the sink to brush my teeth on most days. PT only made it worse. Traction is REALLY bad! :eek: I've had ESI's, steroid injections, pool therapy, muscle relaxers, narcs, tens unit, heat, ice, manipulation, ultra sound...etc. etc...
Nothing is helping anymore. I'm with charliecat31 and calliesmom. Please keep me posted on how you are. PLEASE remember that you live in your body every day and know it better than anyone. Don't let any doctor try to railroad you into something you have already tried that you know doesn't work for you. Speak up for yourself. After all you have to live in your body, not them. Take care :angel:

rabbitbunnies 12-19-2005 03:48 PM

[QUOTE=zephyrqueen]Hello there rabbitbunnies :wave: Welcome.
So you have DDD too huh? When were you diagnosed or how long have you had it? Have you had any MRI studies done?
I have had this since my mid 20's. It's going on 12yrs now. It's only gotten worse. I have morning stiffness and deep bone pain. The deep bone pain is in my lower L-5/S1 area which is the most SEVERE. That disc is amlost completely desicated. I'm currently awaiting total disk replacement at this time. I also have some DDD about my L-2,3 and 4 area. As well as my T-10 area. I also have early Multi level DDD in my C-spine. As well as nerve degeneration at my C-6/7 level. I can tell you from experience that the signs would be morning stiffness that last more than a few hours, that does not dissapear as the day progresses. If you have back pain that worsens in the evening. Or pain that is not relieved by OTC meds : Tylenol, Motrin, Ibuphropin. Also if you do any sort of stretching that does not help or hurts you then..PLEASE speak to your doctor immediately! Also if you experience any type of radicularpathy as well. Sometimes DDD is associated with Sciatic problems as well as Sacroiliac Joint problems. Mostly I can say that DDD effects the lower spine. The neck being in second place. Lastly I must say that if you have had an MRI study and it was inconclusive...ask your doctor about a Mylogram or discogram. Especially if you are in any extreme pain. Take my word for it. I wish I HAD!! Mine wouldn't have progressed to the point it is now. Neither test are pleasant but they are extremely ACCURATE!!!
I hope you are getting some treatment for your DDD. I try a hot bath because I don't have access to a heated pool. Which by the way is EXCELLENT because it's non wieght baring on the joints. Good luck and keep me posted on how you are. :angel:[/QUOTE] :angel: Hi ,
well , I am not having a good night with the knifesnabbing /pain in my back but my hubby has been my little abgle from heaven that is what I call him since we been married we just celebrated our 24opps no 23rd anniversty the 14th of this month . weve been thru hail and back with health promblems mostly me . but I can not stand living like this anymore . I am so sick of the pain , inmolilbily , pill after pills etc.. I have a wonderful doctor who respects me and very mcuh cares about me and the promblem am having with my back! my husband has been renting movies and doing everything possible for me to get my mind off the pain .
Right now , I am taking alot of different meds and some days They don't even reach the core of the pain .., only if u all new what they were and how much you would freek out .
right now . were in the process of another drs opion just to be on the safeside even know I know what they are going to say but hubby wants me to go so but right now in jan .. I am going to have surgery .it is calledR.F so . I am getting a little nervuos but I know /be;lieve I am going to be out of pain for sometime after the surgery so . thanks all for your input .

rabbitbunnies 12-19-2005 04:10 PM

[QUOTE=charliecat31]:wave: I am a fellow sufferer of DDD. L3-L4, L4-L5 and L5-L6. I've also got some bulges and tears. I've had MRI's, CAT Scans, PT (made it worse), Epidurals (helped for a couple of weeks), IDET (two levels, both failed), numerous oral meds, 3 Discograms and have been told by a surgeon that my discs are too bad and there are too many for me to be a candidate for fusion surgery. My last option was to have an implanted pump put in that delivers morphine straight to my spine. It's been helpful enough to get me off oxycontin, but I still take oral narcotics for pain 3-4 times a day, sleeping pills, muscle relaxors and an antidepressant.

I'm in so much pain on a daily basis that most of my time is spent in bed or a recliner. I can't drive because of the pain and the meds and have to rely on my husband, friends and family if I want to go anywhere. I was finally granted Permanant Total Disability from W. Comp this past spring and am still waiting on a hearing for Social Security. It's been a very long 6+ years, but I've come to accept that this is my life, for better or worse.

I have pain in my low back, butt, left leg down to the calf, my toes curl on my left foot. The pain varies from dull to achy, sharp, burning, bruised feeling, etc. I can't sit for long, can't stand or walk for long.

Has your doctor given you any options of what to do? If I can answer any questions or offer any advice or you just need to vent, let me know.

Take care,
Dee[/QUOTE] :angel: Dee . wow . Thanks for the postYou sound very nice I hope you get to feel some better .Do u play games online if u do I can send u a pogo thing if interesrted

showdee 12-19-2005 04:12 PM

Hi rabbitbunnies. What is R.F? I'm sorry your in so much pain. If it helps, your not alone in here. I hope all goes well for you. Take care.

rabbitbunnies 12-19-2005 04:14 PM

[QUOTE=charliecat31]:wave: I am a fellow sufferer of DDD. L3-L4, L4-L5 and L5-L6. I've also got some bulges and tears. I've had MRI's, CAT Scans, PT (made it worse), Epidurals (helped for a couple of weeks), IDET (two levels, both failed), numerous oral meds, 3 Discograms and have been told by a surgeon that my discs are too bad and there are too many for me to be a candidate for fusion surgery. My last option was to have an implanted pump put in that delivers morphine straight to my spine. It's been helpful enough to get me off oxycontin, but I still take oral narcotics for pain 3-4 times a day, sleeping pills, muscle relaxors and an antidepressant.

Take care,
Dee[/QUOTE] :blob_fire Dee Hope you dont mind that I had added to my freinds list .. Like I said "I think I did Im new to the broads

carol632 12-19-2005 04:29 PM

Dee, I was reading this thread and was drawn by your statement that the doctor says you have too many levels to fuse. Have you gotten more than 1 or 2 opinions about that, because I know of some who have had 3 and 4 levels fused. It's difficult surgery, yes and not a lot of doctors are comfortable doing it but I think if I were you I would be researching to find someone who specializes in doing 3 or more discs. It sounds like you are in so much pain and it is never easy for me to accept someone being told there is no help.

Just my opinion and food for thought.

Carol

zephyrqueen 12-20-2005 04:38 AM

I agree with carol632. I've been told soooooooo MANY times that it's just something I'm going to have to just live with or that I'm not getting any younger. Younger my butt, I'm only 36! :nono: I'm not all that surprised that your meds don't work. Your body builds up a tollarence. Not only that, DDD is not really an inflamatory disease. Your disks are detereorating. There is NO drug in the world that is going to help with that pain. My pain doctor suggested putting me on Methodone. ...but not before speaking with the staff Pyshcologist first. :rolleyes: They don't want you to become addicted. This med is actually used to get people off of heroine that are addicted to it. So, you can see their point...I guess. Anyway, they decided not to put me on it because they wanted me to continue to try and do stretching, walking and other meds. I just couldn't. I DON'T seem to get what part of " I CAN'T DO THAT BECAUSE IT HURTS"!!!!!...that they don't get. Does anyone else feel the same way or have been down this road too? Hang in there rabbitbunnies. We are ALL wishing you the best. If you decide to seak a 2nd opininion (which I'm hoping you do), let us know. :wave:

charliecat31 12-20-2005 12:05 PM

Rabbit:
No problem that you added me to your buddy list, please keep me posted on how you are doing. Thanks for the offer, but I don't play online games. I have a hard enough time keeping my head on straight LOL.
Hope you are having a better day today!
Dee

charliecat31 12-20-2005 12:10 PM

Carol:
Thanks for your comments about my fusion surgery. This is the only thing I actually never got more than one opinion on. I realize that some people have good success with multilevel fusions, but this was a highly respected surgeon that I saw with excellent creditials. Now having been told that there would be a good likely hood that the fusion could make matters worse, I don't know that I would ever consider it. Many of the decisions I've made or had to make have been dictated by WC and at the time had he said fusion was an option I probably would have done it. Now, a couple of years later, it's not a risk I'm willing to take. I'm in a great deal of pain every day - most days it's painful to lean over the sink to wash my face and brush my teeth. There are days my husband has to shave my legs for me because it hurts so much.

Thank you for your concern and information, it gives me something to think about.
Dee

calliesmom 12-21-2005 06:07 PM

There are so many things I used to do that I can't do anymore. I know what you mean when you are told to stretch and walk and it just hurts too much.

I went to a pain clinic so they could manage my meds and all they wanted to do was give me steroid injections. They had no interest in helping me...all they do is push injections on people. It's a real money maker.

Do you feel that the weather has any effect on the way you feel? I know I feel so much better during the summer when it's hot.

injured betty 12-21-2005 06:15 PM

The new name for this, and this is HUGE business, is shot mills.